Safari 3.0.4 Released. Doing Quiet Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

It may come to you guys as an old news, but here it is. Apple's very own browser, Safari's beta refresh is released with version 3.0.4. Version 3.0.3 was given with Digit DVD this month. The last version had very high memory usage, and perhaps on my system only, crashed every here and there. Although i didn't liked it much but its response time is very good. On my Vista system, it open websites atleast 2.5x faster then IE and Maxthon and atleast 1.5x times Firefox. I dont use Opera for some personal dislikes.
But i am very much pleased with this latest release. Crashes are reduced very much and it is running quiet stably for last 2 days with about 2.5 hours of browsing 2 times a day without closing it, ie. i hibernated my system. Speed is as good as previous one. Memory usage has been reduced considerably. Its using between 52 to 68 MB normally, although sometimes it still goes as high as 138MB!!! but this comes to normal after sometime. I guess this department needs some more thought by Apple engineers.
Although untill now, i preferred Maxthon very much coz of its small install base (as IE is already installed :) ) and ggod features including skin support. But this one looks more asthetically pleasing to me and i have started to love it. Its hinting technology for ClearType kind of text is quiet easy on eyes.
This is for the first time i am having these kind of feelings for an Apple product :-D Just kidding, Apple's a great company making products with a difference, although i am also very pleased with my Vista Ultimate SP1 RC.Personal choice, i guess. :)

Here is the official ChangeLog:

New features

-Allows windows to be resized from any side
-Includes an additional font smoothing option ("standard")
-Adds International text input methods
-Adds advanced text options (contextual forms, international scripts)
-Supports NTLM
-Includes auto-detection of PAC files
-Supports listing FTP directories
-Links to proxy settings from Safari (Safari respects the proxy settings in the ---Windows Internet control panel)
-Adds cookie management
-Adds LiveConnect support
-Includes tooltips
-Adds spell checking and grammar checking
-Allows printing of page numbers, titles, margins
-Improves bookmark collection interface
-Maintains original order of imported bookmarks
-Adds an interface for editing AutoFill information
-History searches now search the full text of visited websites
-Adds a new preference to manually mark RSS articles as read
-Includes support for tilt wheels

New keyboard shortcuts added

-Alt-Enter in the Address field opens the same page in new background tab
-Alt-Shift-Enter in the Address field opens the same page in new foreground tab
-Ctrl-Enter in the Search field opens search results in new window
-Alt-Enter in the Search field opens search results in new background tab
-Alt-Shift-Enter in the Search field opens search results in new foreground tab
-Ctrl-Enter for (www/com) completion in the URL bar
-F6 to switch between the content area and URL bar
-Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab to navigate between tabs
-Backspace and Shift-Backspace to go back/forward between Web pages
-Ctrl-F4 to close a tab
-Ctrl-E to focus the search field
-Windows-M to minimize
-Ctrl-mouse wheel to zoom
-Shift-mouse wheel to scroll horizontally

Stability

-Improves application stability
-Compatibility
-Increases standards and site compatibility

Performance
-Improves JavaScript performance
-Improves application launch performance

Security
-For information about the security content of this update, visit *docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307225
-Allows you to clicking the lock icon to see detailed information about a site's certificate

Download it from here: *www.apple.com/safari/download/

praka123

left this forum longback
well,safari is a great browser along with firefox,epiphany etc.firefox 3beta and webkit based browsers like safari are passing acid2test.but still IE fails!

adithya_s

Journeyman
i'm using it.. its still a crap.. lots of stuff has to be done.. opera only is faster now... i know but safari can make a great browser...

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Though its fast but compatibility is a major issue. Many sites refuse to accept it as supported browser(Yahoo mail, Citibank online banking,.......)

praka123

left this forum longback
^that is not the problem of firefox or safari or opera or any non IE browsers!
it is M$ Internet Exploder which is not following web standards,hence forcing websites to optimize for IE.
FYI,browsers like konqueror,safari,firefox et al passed acidtest2 by webstandards.org only IE is failing this due to M$ policies :x

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^that is not the problem of firefox or safari or opera or any non IE browsers!
it is M$ Internet Exploder which is not following web standards,hence forcing websites to optimize for IE.
FYI,browsers like konqueror,safari,firefox et al passed acidtest2 by webstandards.org only IE is failing this due to M$ policies :x

Oh hell Prakash, all blame MS for any trouble & problem, right *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/14.gif. If the developers don't kno about other browsers then is it the fault of MS? If the developer don't code properly then is it the fault of MS.

Seriously, u r sick Uncle.

Voldy

The Dark lord
Already tested it
In all Safari is a good browser but its memory usage has struck my expectation

its takin a lot of my Cpu Power :(

Now wats this ;)

:) Nothing, i just dont use it coz i find it too overloaded with features for me, personally. Its a great product and i have no regrets for it, just dont use it. Actually my first impression with v1.84 was not good and since then i never used it, and i dont think i will.

Lots of CPU power? How come? its running too good on my 1.6 Celeron lappy with 1.24 GB ram. It hadn't crashed even once since last 3 days and the memory usage is below 70 for me. Ya compatibility problems are there, for example the flash player on you tube goes into full screen mode but doesn't play, playing fine in normal form. Again, may be its an issue with my individual computer.
I am not saying that it has become the best browser out there, but yet its the fastest and asthetically pleasing one for me on my machine. Its very usable for me. And font rendering is superb, no usual eye strain for me as it use to happed before. I hope it become better as it evolves.

praka123

left this forum longback
hmm..waiting for more webkit based browsers!hail all KHTML and Konqueror devels and communities for such a wonderful product :)

goobimama

 Macboy
I've been using Safari on Windows since 3.0.2. The latest version is stable, behaves more like a windows app, and well, it just works for me. I don't like firefox cause it shows my passwords to the rest of the world and IE just plain sucks. I guess Opera might have an edge on the windows platform, but Safari works for me.

It does use a little extra RAM though :(

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Safari on Windows has got quite Security vulnerabilities I suppose. Because while browsing, my Firewall blocked to inappropriate access requests.

Note:- also see the locations of the IP trying to access......

*img258.imageshack.us/img258/7091/safarivulnerabilityfy3.th.jpg

*img258.imageshack.us/img258/5093/vulnerability2pq6.th.jpg

goobimama

 Macboy
Well maybe it blocked cause it doesn't recognise Safari as a browser? It has given an option down which would allow you to set Safari as a browser. But then again, I have no idea about how these security vulnerability things work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom