Sabayon Linux 3.5 Beta 1 Released !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/files/3421_c4k2f/sl4-logo_only-small.pngSabayon is an Italian dessert made with egg yolks, sugar, a sweet liquor (usually Marsala wine), and sometimes cream or whole eggs. It is a very light custard, which has been whipped to incorporate a large amount of air

Distribution features:
  • New theme, new logo, new ideas, new stuff! Gosh, it's all new oh oh ohhhh!
  • Introducing Entropy Binary Package Managing infrastructure, featuring equo package manager client and repository services at Sabayon Linux Packages Repository
    1. - Read Entropy Project Manifesto
    2. - Repositories now contain "only" 4000 packages. But will grow up to 10000 by the end of the 3.5 development cycle.
    3. - Equo client is at your service: equo --help - be advised it is a working beta release!
    4. - Installer has been completely rewritten and polished to work with Entropy and an inner "Update installer" button has been added.
    5. - Installer can now virtually update any Gentoo-based system using Entropy. You want to switch to Sabayon? Do it!
  • Linux Kernel 2.6.23.12 featuring extended wireless and laptop support, Ext4, UnionFS and AUFS support
  • Both architectures are now based on GCC 4.2 and Python 2.5
  • x86 architecture has been completely recompiled with i686 optimizations
  • X.Org 7.3 release featuring nVIDIA 169.07 and AMD 8.42.3 (see known issues below for the latter)
  • Enhanced Desktop featuring Compiz Fusion 0.6.2 using AIGLX (on by default where available)
  • Gaming! Sauerbraten, Warsow, Dangerdeep, Nexuiz included as top-tier 3d Games !
  • GeeXboX 1.1 to transform your PC into a full Media Center
  • KDE updated to 3.5.8 also featuring KDE 4 RC2 Games!
  • Full KDE 4.0 RC2 and XFCE 4.4 availabe in our Entropy repository!
  • GNOME updated to 2.20.1
  • Improved reliability of NetworkManager stack (including updated nm-applet and KNetworkManager)
  • Introducing NetworkSettings tool to graphically configure your network card settings.
  • At shut down, Live system will now eject the DVD before halting
  • ISOLINUX has been updated to 3.51 featuring a new theme
  • A lot, lot, lot (oh oh oh!) mooore!
Known Issues :
  • Elisa Media Center is known to not work
  • AMD video drivers hang during the first X session startup (known issue and latest drivers didn't work at all with X.Org 7.3)
    To workaround this, just press F5 at the boot menu and write "noaccelmanager" then press Enter or just try to boot without fglrx drivers, writing "noproprietary"
  • Update the installer before starting an Upgrade (only for this) - tarinfo Python module didn't work well with aspell-* packages, it's been already workarounded in Entropy SVN repository. The updated installer will just take care of this without crashing.
  • UnionFS 2.1.11 causes system freezes with 2.6.23 kernels, that's why we switched to AUFS, be advised.
Download :
  • SabayonLinux x86 3.5 Loop 1 Torrent download #1
  • SabayonLinux x86-64 3.5 Loop 1 Torrent download #1
  • SabayonLinux x86 3.5 Loop 1 Torrent download #2
  • SabayonLinux x86-64 3.5 Loop 1 Torrent download #2
    Download Mirrors (are currently syncing, please be patient):
  • Official Mirrors Page

Does Sabayon have all gentoo's features like install by compiling? And does it also have some support for Yum and Apt-Get for those in a hurry to compile?

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
I think Apt-get is a feature of Debian and Yum of Fedora :? and Sabayon is a gentoo based ditros :? so how come :? it can have any 1 of em :S

Dark Star said:
I think Apt-get is a feature of Debian and Yum of Fedora :? and Sabayon is a gentoo based ditros :? so how come :? it can have any 1 of em :S
It can. Just like how you can install Yum in Ubuntu(for Alien)

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
I take it you guys have never heard of the 3rd side of package management, emerge. Its a native of Gentoo like yum and apt-get.

Thanks for the news.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
MetalheadGautham said:
Does Sabayon have all gentoo's features like install by compiling? And does it also have some support for Yum and Apt-Get for those in a hurry to compile?
Sabayon is pre-compiled gentoo so it will have all the features of gentoo.

x3060

A LOTR fan
you got to understand , i am like a fish in an ocean full of meal . i just have a huge urge to try all , before settling down ;-). ofcourse , you are right , i need to walk first before thinking to run :p

Pat

Beyond Smart
MetalheadGautham said:
does that mean it won't compile while installing? I need an optimised system for my PC...

Nopes..It doesnt..Gentoo would be a better option for you in that case :)

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^Haha..I am not too sure about it dude..But you can safely assume that it will take a day atleast!

Pat said:
^^Haha..I am not too sure about it dude..But you can safely assume that it will take a day atleast!
I hope not... the ONLY reason I am concidering gentoo is because it can be optimised for the system. And with this speed of INSTALLATION, windows 3.1 is looking attractive to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom