RSS Chief : 'Women meant to do household chores'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
A day after he sparked a controversy by saying that rapes happen in India not Bharat, right-wing Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh's (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat has done it again. Now, he says women should restrict themselves to doing household chores, according to what he calls the theory of social contract.

"Theory of contract, theory of social contract, a husband and wife are bound by a contract which says 'you (woman) look after the household chores and satisfy me, I (man) will take care of your needs and will protect you', and until she delivers her duties without fail, he keeps her on the contract and if she fails to honour the contract, he disowns her and if it is the same with the husband who is not honouring the contract, she can also abandon him and go for a new contract then," he said yesterday, while addressing a gathering of RSS workers in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.

Reacting sharply to Mr Bhagwat's comment, CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat said, "I don' think it is really surprising because at the end of the day, this is what RSS is. That is why I think it is the retrograde 'samiti' of India. These were the regents who when BJP was in power wanted a new Constitution of India based on 'manusmriti'. So when he talks in this language, he only reflects his ideology."
"Where Bharat becomes 'India' with the influence of western culture, these type of incidents happen. The actual Indian values and culture should be established at every stratum of society where women are treated as 'mother'," he had added.

The RSS is the ideological mentor of the main opposition party, the BJP. Mr Bhagwat's remarks were shredded by activists and other political parties, but the BJP offered no criticism.

Describing the controversy as "uncalled for", the party's spokesperson had said that Mr Bhagwat "was referring to India's sanskar, tradition and value system where respect for women occupies a pride of place."

Mr Bhagwat's comments come at a time when the death of a young medical student, who was gang-raped in Delhi, has impelled introspection on attitudes towards women in a country where a rape is reported nearly every 20 minutes.
Source
Video

Well, Mr. Bhagwat, times have changed. Perhaps you should you should know that many women are CEOs and Managers in top notch companies.

ajaymailed

In the zone
its a common myth that women are more safer if they are restricted to house, do household chores, wear traditional clothing.
sexual assault on women has been there since long time, and getting restricted to house hold chores, not going outside in night times, wearing certain kinds of clothing, behaving in certain way havent done anything to reduce or increase crime. Sexual crimes on women probably happened a lot more in olden days when women were just like what Mohan Bhagwat describes, just that there is no media in those days to report it to everyone.

if that delhi woman wore a saree, cooking dinner in her house and if her friend was her husband. She would have been still raped by those perverts in her own house and nothing would have prevented the crime. there wouldn't even be a police complaint if the same happened in some remote Indian Village.

Common misconceptions about rape

common myths about rape
Myth: Do not go out alone at any time. Women are most likely to be raped outside, in dark alleyways late at night. This is the best way for a woman to protect herself.

Fact: The suggestion of avoiding walking alone, especially at night is a common suggestion to avoiding sexual assault. However, only 9% of rapes are committed by 'strangers'. Women are raped in their homes and in their work places where they are less likely to be believed and even less likely to report. This myth can control movements and restricts freedom. This can feel like women are living under a 'curfew' and that it is a woman's responsibility to be either in or out at certain times. More than 80% of rapes are committed by known men.

Myth: Women who are sexually assaulted 'ask for it' by the way they dress or act, rape only happens to young women.

Fact Many women are led to believe that if they are not part of a certain category of women then they are 'safe' from being raped. Women and girls of all ages, classes, culture, ability, sexuality, race and faith are raped. Attractiveness has little significance. Reports show that there is a great diversity in the way targeted women act or dress. Rapists choose women based on their vulnerability not their physical appearance.

Sometimes women see themselves as 'unworthy' or 'undesirable' because of their age or physical appearance and therefore 'safe' from rape. Some men joke or make comments about women's appearances or age to indicate whether she is sexually desirable or available, or as part of their defence in court, saying he thought 'he was doing her a favour', using her appearance or age. Women are raped from the age of three to ninety three. Rape is an act of violence not sex.

Myth: Everyone knows when a woman says no, she often means yes. Women secretly want to be raped.

Fact Rape is a terrifying, violent and humiliating experience that no woman wants or asks for. Legally a person has the right to change their mind about having sex at any point of sexual contact. If a sexual partner does not stop at the time a person says no, this is sexual assault. If a person is in a relationship with someone or has had sex with a person before, this does not mean that they cannot be assaulted by that person. Consent must be given every time two people engage in sexual contact. Sex without consent is rape.

its these common misconceptions that actually provide initial encouragement to minds of rapist. He starts by thinking "There is nothing wrong in doing this, forcing women, raping her is not as a big crime as it sounds".

terrorists use similar justifications like Mohan Bhagwat while brain washing people like ajmal kasab "killing hundreds of innocent people is ok because of the crimes India has perpetrated towards people in Kashmir & muslims in India". Terrorists will continue to justify even after the attack to and try n force the country to achieve their own political goals.

Last edited:

bubusam13

Human
Please TDFians, no more rape stories. Aren't you feed up ? Can't open NEWS, can't open FB, all filled with rape rape rape. At least keep TDF clean. It's a forum for techies, and not rapists and anti-rapists.

It's ok you discuss it in the RANDOM NEWS section. But discuss it in a single thread. Is it necessary to open a new thread for anything a person says, be it some chief or some baba.

MODS DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS !! else ban me from here. Yes I am screaming so I m writing in Caps

Last edited:

doomgiver

Warframe
well, what he said is partially true.

the problem is, the breaking of the "contract" favors men over women, thanks to the gender divide in the society.

how many here would marry an older woman?

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Please TDFians, no more rape stories. Aren't you feed up ? Can't open NEWS, can't open FB, all filled with rape rape rape. At least keep TDF clean. It's a forum for techies, and not rapists and anti-rapists.

It's ok you discuss it in the RANDOM NEWS section. But discuss it in a single thread. Is it necessary to open a new thread for anything a person says, be it some chief or some baba.

MODS DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS !! else ban me from here. Yes I am screaming so I m writing in Caps

Well, I opened this thread to discuss gender divide, not rape. That's why I did not put it in the other thread.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

the more we treat sex/sexual acts as a taboo, the more people will be ignorant of it. we in TDF strive to spread knowledge and information. IMHO its perfectly okay to discuss about these things. ignorance is no longer a bliss. its a curse.

@desmond david: good job!

as long as we discuss these things as being mature, logical human being, its is good that everyone takes part in these discussions.

bubusam13

Human
Taboo, does it feel like I am speaking about any taboo. I am actually fed up.
I no where told about stopping discussions, I told about new threads. Anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom