Road Sense? Sorry what's that?

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
[MENTION=271931]adityak469[/MENTION]: Scooty is a TVS brand.

Like Raabo said, Indian Motor Act does not forbid that aunty to drive on the right side of the road, but it does limit you to a 50 cc vehicle. If you cannot control your ride @ 30kmph and fell, then you are not fit to drive that scooter. Take it as a lesson, be watchful and try to anticipate the worst and be prepared every second you are riding/driving.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
[MENTION=271931]adityak469[/MENTION] : Disc brakes in Scooty? o_O

Anyways, whatever the scenario is, the moment someone come to know that you have no-license, all the blame will be put up on you(Only exception is, if you are a girl). I see lot of school-going girls/boys riding bikes/scooters without license, and above all, they(not all) know nothing about rules. They over take you from left, drive 50+ in hospital area and turn without indication and drive bikes like racer.

I never did this in my childhood, and even when I get the luxury while in college, I never ride because I never wanted to drive without license.

It all depends on personal ethics, and until people realize that what they are doing is wrong and cost some poor guy's life, nothing will be changed.

Every day, driving in my city is like one thriller movie and all I think in my mind is that, I have to be safe and keep road safe for my fellow riders/drivers/peds.

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
[MENTION=271931]adityak469[/MENTION] : Disc brakes in Scooty? o_O

'Scooty' is often used for an automatic scooter. In this case it's most probably a Honda Aviator.

- - - Updated - - -

yup i know that but the 50cc licence works with all gearless scooties. the traffic police doesn't say anything if you have that license.

Nope, nope, nope.
Wrong at so many levels.
Traffic police might not say anything, but they are supposed to. I do not know about your city, but in cities like Delhi (and Chandigarh, of course), it is taken quite seriously. And by that I mean some money leaves your pocket.

And honestly, it shouldn't had been difficult to handle a scooter at 30kmph. Or if it was, you are not fit to drive, in my opinion.

Yes, the lady was the wrongdoer. But you were wrong, too. Legally, that is. On a personal opinion, as I had said earlier, driving shouldn't have anything to do with age. Age != maturity.

- - - Updated - - -

You are to blame legally, if she has a valid license. You should not be driving, no matter how "inconvenient" it is. Sorry, but you are the problem in India, a much bigger problem than an aunty breaking a one way rule.
That's debatable.
Not having a license should not be the only reason to declare a person wrong. Legally, yes, but then "you are the problem in India, much bigger.." thing is not legal. A person in the wrong way is certainly a bigger problem than a person without license, provided that the person without license is following all the laws and rules. If s/he is, there shouldn't be any problem. Of course, not legally.
A lot of people on Indian roads have valid licenses, but do not have valid driving sense. Get my point? A person without license is not a person to blame always. That should differ based on the circumstances.

You may drive carefully and be responsible, but you are still breaking a law, and that's how almost every Indian thinks. If she was in a car and ran you over, even then a court would not convict her because laws are made for a reason, and driving without a license is a bigger crime than driving in the wrong lane.
I know that this is not the point, but court will convict her.

What's next? Beat up someone you don't like? Drink while underage? Drink and drive while underage? Litter? Throw toxic waste on the road? Who draws the line at breaking laws? Your moral compass might make you stop at a red light, others just break through, and still others may purposely run people over and cause accidents.

Wrong is wrong, but who will ever make Indians realise it?

:thumbs:

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Nope, legally the court cannot convict anyone with a license for a road accident that involves them and someone without a license driving on a road. There is no fault to be proven, as legally the "fault" is solely the underage driver's. Plus usually underage driver's drive recklessly, and go on "joyrides" and thus that's how they will see it.

As for the problem with India, yes, this is it, people not only flouting laws like they don't matter, but others defending them. Unless everyone starts respecting the laws, nothing will change.

That Aunty isn't right, not at all, but the fact that someone posts that they are driving without a license, and complaining about someone going down a one way... thats the problem with India. it's always someone else's fault, never our own.

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Nope, legally the court cannot convict anyone with a license for a road accident that involves them and someone without a license driving on a road. There is no fault to be proven, as legally the "fault" is solely the underage driver's.
I do not see why the court cannot. There's not fault of only the underage driver, it's also the other person's who was not driving properly.

Plus usually underage driver's drive recklessly, and go on "joyrides" and thus that's how they will see it.
Lol, no. Courts do not generally rely on inductive reasoning in such cases.

As for the problem with India, yes, this is it, people not only flouting laws like they don't matter, but others defending them. Unless everyone starts respecting the laws, nothing will change.
I'm not defending anyone flouting the rules. I am not at all saying driving without license is a good thing to do. All I have said is, is that having basic driving sense matters more than having a driver's license. A person with a valid license but no driving sense is a threat on the road. A person with no license but good sense, on the other hand, is not.
What you're saying is that a truck driver could be drunk, over speed limit, jump a red light and kill a guy on a motorcycle who didn't have license, and it becomes motorcyclists fault.

That Aunty isn't right, not at all, but the fact that someone posts that they are driving without a license, and complaining about someone going down a one way... thats the problem with India. it's always someone else's fault, never our own.

That's not even the point.

I am completely in support of respect for law and more importantly respect for other users of the road. All I am saying is, this was also said by [MENTION=88371]d3p[/MENTION] on the previous page, just having a license is and should not be the reason to declare a person wrong. His acts matter more than anything else.

Last edited:

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Nope, I don't agree. Follow the law first, then criticise others. You can't flout a law and then criticise others for doing the same.

And yes, a drunk truck driver should not get booked for killing a person driving with no license. He will argue in court that yes he was drunk and should be fined for drunk driving, however the death was totally avoidable if the other person had followed the law.

People find it so easy to point at one person breaking the law, that they're ignoring another? Whatever the problems with our country, there's no excuse for flouting basic laws like not getting a driving license. If you're underage, you're not allowed to drive, so don't. It's bad enough that people with licenses can barely drive, why add more risk to the road? At least there's some sort of test done to ascertain the driving ability of those with licenses... who tests the unlicensed? what if I swerve to miss a 13 year old on a bike and run over a pedestrian? Is it fair to me that someone without a license caused me to harm someone else?

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Nope, I don't agree. Follow the law first, then criticise others. You can't flout a law and then criticise others for doing the same.

And yes, a drunk truck driver should not get booked for killing a person driving with no license. He will argue in court that yes he was drunk and should be fined for drunk driving, however the death was totally avoidable if the other person had followed the law.
He will argue that and fail miserably. I have not studied criminal law (yet), but this argument could clearly not stand in a civil case. Such a death was not avoidable as the other person did not do anything to invite his death upon himself. How does his competency to drive decrease because of lack of a driving license? Driving license is a certificate, which I know is not the right word to use, saying that this person drives well. It does not mean that everyone else does not drive well. They might, they might not. As I said, it depends of circumstances more than the law.

People find it so easy to point at one person breaking the law, that they're ignoring another? Whatever the problems with our country, there's no excuse for flouting basic laws like not getting a driving license. If you're underage, you're not allowed to drive, so don't. It's bad enough that people with licenses can barely drive, why add more risk to the road? At least there's some sort of test done to ascertain the driving ability of those with licenses... who tests the unlicensed? what if I swerve to miss a 13 year old on a bike and run over a pedestrian? Is it fair to me that someone without a license caused me to harm someone else?

Where does that argument even come from? Is that 13 year old unable to handle his bike because of his incompetency? Then you are not completely wrong (you still are depending on where you were exactly on the road - behind the kid means you ought to have applied brakes). If it was not because of something he did but something you did (looked in the side lane for a couple of seconds?), you simply cannot say that you are not liable because he did not have a license. That simply doesn't make sense. Not even in the court.
I've already admitted that I'm not promoting underage driving. Stop repeating that point.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
More Goan youth now riding without licence - The Times of India

It's also about mental maturity. I've heard teens say they drive "safely" and then see them racing down the road. A machine that can kill people requires responsibility and yes, maybe some 12 year olds are more responsible than 24 year olds, but they're the exception, not the rule, which is why you have laws.

If i went into a secure facility as a trespasser, and got electrocuted on the security fence, would you support me suing the firm for not putting up a sign that said "electrified fence"? What is this? America?

An underage without-license driver is just wrong, and I don't think someone committing a crime on a road should complain about someone else committing a crime.

Plus, the kid who is driving license-less should be made aware that if he kills someone on a bike registered to his father or someone in the family, they will go to jail for anything from 3 months to 3 years (I think) and also have to pay whatever money the court awards (insurance company will not pay). Which is sometimes in excess of 30 lakh, depending on what the court feels like awarding - considering earning potential, harm done to family, children, etc.

Last edited:

amjath

Human Spambot
Agree with raaabo, first thing traffic police ask is license, not to put 8 in middle of the road. So it's the kids luck that he didnt hurt and cops didn't see him. Some cops takes the kids directly to their home and complain to their parents not to allow them to drive.

I don't know why parents allow kids without license. Here in chennai schools bans bringing bikes but still they do. It's parents to blame, cause they are the one who buy them bikes in underage. My dad still thinks to get me(25) bike.

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
More Goan youth now riding without licence - The Times of India
Could you post a relevant paragraph as a quote from this article?

It's also about mental maturity. I've heard teens say they drive "safely" and then see them racing down the road. A machine that can kill people requires responsibility and yes, maybe some 12 year olds are more responsible than 24 year olds, but they're the exception, not the rule, which is why you have laws.

If i went into a secure facility as a trespasser, and got electrocuted on the security fence, would you support me suing the firm for not putting up a sign that said "electrified fence"? What is this? America?
You can sue them for assault and battery, yes.
I'm just saying that court will not dismiss a civil case at least on the grounds that the person did not have a driving license.

An underage without-license driver is just wrong, and I don't think someone committing a crime on a road should complain about someone else committing a crime.
Other than because law says he's wrong, there's no reason he's wrong.
How does his competency to drive decrease because of lack of a driving license?

Plus, the kid who is driving license-less should be made aware that if he kills someone on a bike registered to his father or someone in the family, they will go to jail for anything from 3 months to 3 years (I think) and also have to pay whatever money the court awards (insurance company will not pay). Which is sometimes in excess of 30 lakh, depending on what the court feels like awarding - considering earning potential, harm done to family, children, etc.
Yes, obviously.

beingGamer

In the zone
What is this Zebra crossing for?
Pic from Pune, shared by my cousin

*scontent-b-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10733987_888794181132829_3090105192790453309_n.jpg?oh=7e5ca074a281912c453c8f7b1b26613d&oe=54EB4EF4

RBX

In the zone
I don't know if it's been discussed here, but one thing people really need to learn is how to use turn indicator. Most don't use it, others use it when they start turning which makes it pointless - when you have started turning, everyone can see that you are turning. It's supposed to be used at least 5 seconds before the turn.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ It is a common sight these days. Every day when I stop my car before zebra crossing where we supposed to stop, some guys honk at me and cursing me :facepalm:

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Put up a calm, mild song on the speakers and turn the volume up. Ignore those idiots. :)

doomgiver

Warframe
I was trying to take a right hand turn from my side to the opposite (via a divider in road), the faggot at my back tries to quickly move his car in front of mine, even though I have blinkers on (both were trying to turn). I then jammed on the brakes and glared at the faggot, who now could do nothing (gap wasnt enough to fit 2 cars). He had to back off and let me pass first.

The only thing that these idiots know is "dande ki maar" (beatings). Someone should stop them and beat the **** out of them. People should be afraid of breaking rules.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
You are to blame legally, if she has a valid license. You should not be driving, no matter how "inconvenient" it is. Sorry, but you are the problem in India, a much bigger problem than an aunty breaking a one way rule.

i never did say that i was right or anything related to that, did i? i only wanted to say that "licensed" aunty was wrong. and i just wanted to know what i could have done if i had a license to make her realize her mistake as i am pretty sure after i get a license, aunties like that will appear every now and then.
and IMO, a license should be provided to people with a sense of driving, rather than to people who are just 18 years old.

What's next? Beat up someone you don't like? Drink while underage? Drink and drive while underage? Litter? Throw toxic waste on the road? Who draws the line at breaking laws? Your moral compass might make you stop at a red light, others just break through, and still others may purposely run people over and cause accidents.

nothing is next, i dont drive for fun, rather i drive for needs. i ma not willing to waste 2 hours of my life everyday for the buses to leave so that i could reach home. and FYI, i forcefully make my friends pick up the litter they make.

[MENTION=271931]
drive bikes like racer.
racers wear helmets and drive alone rather than wearing goggles and driving with three people on a two wheeler, so comparing with racers is somewhat nonsensical.

in that way the accident was avoidable if the truck driver's wife gave him a beating for drinking and got him to stop drinking..
once again, i would say a license should be provided by testing the road sense rather than seeing the age of the applicant. and by testing i do not mean making him drive 10 feet and saying you passed or taking money and providing a license.

What is this Zebra crossing for?
Pic from Pune, shared by my cousin

*scontent-b-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10733987_888794181132829_3090105192790453309_n.jpg?oh=7e5ca074a281912c453c8f7b1b26613d&oe=54EB4EF4

that's the scene in most cities. i tried stopping before a zebra crossing but all i got was honks and curses from people and when i didn't move, they all overtook from the sides and stopped on the zebra parking. :|

- - - Updated - - -

People should be afraid of breaking rules.

rather people should respect the rules. and they should know that rules are made to protect them and not to fine them..

beingGamer

In the zone
I rarely use my bike but I stop before the zebra crossing as well & try to indicate other where they should stop. At least the people with sense should do that to make an example for those idiots.

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
BTW in Delhi you can just post a pic similar to the above on Delhi Traffic Police's FB page and get those idiots fined. Have done it countless times. Delhi Traffic Police has recently started clicking photographs of such offenders, and issuing challans to them later. It's great, in my opinion. Traffic Police Officer goes to a traffic signal, clicks a couple of photographs, leaves. People have started taking them seriously now! :D

doomgiver

Warframe
rather people should respect the rules. and they should know that rules are made to protect them and not to fine them..

they should respect rules AND should be afraid of breaking them.
same thing like with kids : you put proper rules, and ENFORCE them. the kid knows if he doesnt follow the rules he'll be in trouble.

problem in india is similar; nobody is afraid of the consequences. there;s zero enforcement of rules. and some of the rules are stupid.

for eg : take the driving license. its available to anyone with a little money. thats the number one reason we have ****-tier idiots driving around. i have no solution for this.

Top Bottom