Road Sense? Sorry what's that?

Flash

Lost in speed
Whenever i cross a zebra crossing, i wait for 5-7 seconds after the green signal was lit, because people who drive the automobiles/bikes (though they see the signal turning red to green) speeds up at this very moment thinking that they can cross the crossing before the pedestrians cross.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
BTW in Delhi you can just post a pic similar to the above on Delhi Traffic Police's FB page and get those idiots fined. Have done it countless times. Delhi Traffic Police has recently started clicking photographs of such offenders, and issuing challans to them later. It's great, in my opinion. Traffic Police Officer goes to a traffic signal, clicks a couple of photographs, leaves. People have started taking them seriously now! :D
thats awesome!!
they should respect rules AND should be afraid of breaking them.
same thing like with kids : you put proper rules, and ENFORCE them. the kid knows if he doesnt follow the rules he'll be in trouble.

problem in india is similar; nobody is afraid of the consequences. there;s zero enforcement of rules. and some of the rules are stupid.

for eg : take the driving license. its available to anyone with a little money. thats the number one reason we have ****-tier idiots driving around. i have no solution for this.
yes enforcement is not so tight but it shouldn't be a problem if people come to realize why rules are made and how being 1 sec fast is not worth their life

amjath

Human Spambot
I was waiting for the signal to go green. It was 10 sec to go green, people started honking behind me, asking me to go. I didn't go anyway, many left. You can be good but many around won't let you be.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Whenever i cross a zebra crossing, i wait for 5-7 seconds after the green signal was lit, because people who drive the automobiles/bikes (though they see the signal turning red to green) speeds up at this very moment thinking that they can cross the crossing before the pedestrians cross.
Too be very honest I feel the Pedestrian signals are waste here in Hyderabad. Even Educated guys start crossing the road when the signal(Pedestrian) is red. I don't see any purpose of the Pedestrian signal too be honest.

amjath

Human Spambot
Too be very honest I feel the Pedestrian signals are waste here in Hyderabad. Even Educated guys start crossing the road when the signal(Pedestrian) is red. I don't see any purpose of the Pedestrian signal too be honest.
Most of the pedestrian signal don't work here in chennai, even though if it is work no one cares

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Blore traffic is really, really bad. There are actually few vehicles on the raod, they just seem to go in all directions but forward.
Once, saw a traffic lock jam in the parking lot of a mall.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I was waiting for the signal to go green. It was 10 sec to go green, people started honking behind me, asking me to go. I didn't go anyway, many left. You can be good but many around won't let you be.

I feel you.
Also, when the signal is going to turn yellow, I always fear to slow down because of people behind me speeding up to escape red.
And then there are those people who don't check their rear views and those who don't have them at all.

On a positive note, people are getting better. They are making concious effort to make way for ambulances. Some people are now avoiding the right lanes near signals so that people behind can take a right or make an U-turn (I rarely saw this happening until recently and the numbers seem to be increasing).

I believe that Chennai's traffic problem is further worsened by poor traffic management, particularly too many one-ways. These are only creating more of the bottlenecks. At any given junction, there are considerable number of vehicles that would not be there, if not for the one-ways.

amjath

Human Spambot
^ that positive note is right, government having plans to broaden city roads. Once this metro rail is over, everything is nine and smooth, except for people mentality and some bottleneck roads

ajayritik

Technomancer
^ that positive note is right, government having plans to broaden city roads. Once this metro rail is over, everything is nine and smooth, except for people mentality and some bottleneck roads
If traffic sense etc needs to improve then this should be the most important thing that needs to be fixed.
Otherwise doesn't matter how broad roads are, how good signals work, how efficient signals are.
Nothing matters believe me.

Flash

Lost in speed
But the problem is TN officials were intentionally slowed up the metro rail process, so that it will get completed when JJ ascends as TN CM for her to open up.

amjath

Human Spambot
But the problem is TN officials were intentionally slowed up the metro rail process, so that it will get completed when JJ ascends as TN CM for her to open up.
Very true. Politics is very bad in tn for these things

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
And the traffic signals are non standard and pathetic. Many have timers most of which don't work. The count down is also not consistent. At some places the signal turns yellow when the countdown reaches 5. At some other places, yellow after the countdown reaches zero. Sometimes, the signal turns green when the count down is not even complete (manual overriding, but then what is the use of timers).

Then, there is the issue of the traffic girders. The TP use them when and where they seem fit (at random time and at random places). This only causes more accidents.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Very true. Politics is very bad in tn for these things
amjath, it's not just in TN. I'm sure in other parts of India also this happens.
For example here in Hyderabad the Metro was supposed to start in phases with first phase during March 2015 but I heard it's been delayed to last quarter of 2015 to coincide with the Local Muncipal elections.

Top Bottom