Ridge Racer Unbounded

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
More than 50% completed. The biggest challenge I find so far, is power up. If you can't take the lead quickly, you can forget about winning. The tracks are challenging and provide a variety of buildings, bridges, gas tankers etc. to blow up. But choosing the correct time and correct thing to blow is vital to your success. And you have to score a certain number of points before you become eligible for the next race. The gameplay is true arcade, even drifts are a bit underwhelmed and car handling is varied. Running around, creating havoc is immensely fun. As winning is not so cakewalk, coming on top gives you good satisfaction.

Regarding graphics, there's a tinge of darkness even during morning time. The fire effects and particle effects are oh so last generation. Car modelling and reflections are good. Lighting is OKish. Also in my case, forcing AA through control panel results is graphics corruption.

All in one, a pretty OK game, I doubt you will enjoy it to the level of Split/Second or Blur. I am playing this side by side with SS and no prize for guessing which game is more fun. I guess this game is more fit for consoles than PC.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@Skud- Thanks for your nice little info. Hm, so the gameplay is kinda weird. You've to take lead first otherwise you can''t catch up is not my liking, actually I like to do the exact opposite.
Anyway, lets see how do i find it.
Btw- I forgot about Blur, yet to play it!

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even maintaining the lead is challenging itself. One mistake and you will surpassed by 2-3 cars.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks buddy. Looking forward to finish it off in a couple of days.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know the point system, just coming first won't give you enough points to unlock the next race. ;)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
played this game for 45 mins ... but was not able to be the No. 1 even in a single race ;-) had to unlock ( by collecting points ) some 2/3 cars before I could win a event ... destroying objects and fragging other cars is fun but if you run out of power up then it can wreck your car.

There's no customization option for the cars to make them the way you like to have,there's not even a plenty of things to destroy, the gameplay is not even new or very exciting, the story is really bad IMO - this game can't be compared with any other " good " racing game .. the devs just made a mediocre arcade style racing games by borrowing concepts from other games - there's no replay value .

If you want you can skip this title and you won't miss anything or else try it just for once to feel how good it taste.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
And then there's the dreaded drift events - I guess I won't be able to finish this one. And it costs you $50. :shock:

In other news Blur is 75% off in Steam atm.

played this game for 45 mins ... but was not able to be the No. 1 even in a single race ;-) had to unlock ( by collecting points ) some 2/3 cars before I could win a event ... destroying objects and fragging other cars is fun but if you run out of power up then it can wreck your car.

There's no customization option for the cars to make them the way you like to have,there's not even a plenty of things to destroy, the gameplay is not even new or very exciting, the story is really bad IMO - this game can't be compared with any other " good " racing game .. the devs just made a mediocre arcade style racing games by borrowing concepts from other games - there's no replay value .

If you want you can skip this title and you won't miss anything or else try it just for once to feel how good it taste.

I think destroyable objects are plentiful in this game (buildings, concrete slab anyone?) but the problem is that destroying them (apart from your targets when you power up) doesn't build up your power like the way Flatout series did. In a way, sometimes its futile to destroy objects.

Top Bottom