Review: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon takes on Mac OS X Leopard for the OS of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
Yep. Exactly why I'm not allowed to install Linux on two of the PCs in the office. Those are strictly for Adobe apps... The worst thing is, Ubuntu boots just fine on those two machines :(

goobimama said:
Yep. Exactly why I'm not allowed to install Linux on two of the PCs in the office. Those are strictly for Adobe apps... The worst thing is, Ubuntu boots just fine on those two machines :(
If they have the same config as the others, you might concider using the others for adobe.

But still, Ubuntu can't ever have problems with such PCs. What version do you use? What type of install media are you talking about? Is it DVD, Live CD or Alternate CD? You may also concider the Xubuntu Alternate CD, which has facility for OEM Configurations and is good for mass install in slow office machines.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
@drgrudge, so what new are you saying? We all know that! don't forget the target audience, Mac is never meant to be the common man's OS, heck not even Linux has that distinction, only Windows qualifies for that position. Mac is tailor made by a company with the exclusive apps for the same. So how do you expect others to have the same?

@infra, Linux doesn't have those pro apps.? And is that Linux's fault? No. The developers don't make apps for Linux.,why! they see no money in Linux or they just don't bother.

In my opinion, it is totally absurd to even compare Linux with Mac or Windows much less be argued upon. The very fact that a community grown OS has managed to upset these so called big professional OS companies is in itself a testament to the evergrowing strength of Linux. And the future can only be bright:)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ exactly! The same case with drivers too. But then when someone says Ubuntu takes on Mac OS X for the OS of the Year, there needs to be some ground for comparison!

^^right on target there..., hitbox!

infra_red_dude said:
^^^ exactly! The same case with drivers too. But then when someone says Ubuntu takes on Mac OS X for the OS of the Year, there needs to be some ground for comparison!
For the umpteenth time, thats why you can never have comparison among OSes like Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh and Canonical Ubuntu. To have a fair comparison, you need to have only between OSes like Linux Distros, BSD Distros, etc.

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Hitboxx said:
@drgrudge, so what new are you saying? We all know that! don't forget the target audience, Mac is never meant to be the common man's OS, heck not even Linux has that distinction, only Windows qualifies for that position. Mac is tailor made by a company with the exclusive apps for the same. So how do you expect others to have the same?

In my opinion, it is totally absurd to even compare Linux with Mac or Windows much less be argued upon. The very fact that a community grown OS has managed to upset these so called big professional OS companies is in itself a testament to the evergrowing strength of Linux. And the future can only be bright:)
Yes, true. No wonder Mac is preferred by Freelancers (Coders, Designers, Writers, maybe even Bloggers), DJs, Musicians, people working in studios, etc. If you want to play games or have fun with Viruses, then buy a Windows Box. For normal applications, browsing, chatting, etc.. use *nix.

I didn't compare OS X with Linux (for most of the time). All I did was clear some misconceptions.

The future looks bright for Linux and I know it's getting more polished every release. Maybe HH will give other OSes a good run for their money.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
why HH grudgy?GG is dioing some real damage to Vista,lol.And IMO if sp1 fails in even one of the promises then its game over for vista(much like win 2000).But lets hope sp1 is as good as M$ has been telling and keep the competition going.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^provided you install blubuntu theme package 8) not all loves the yellow default color :) but still in default it shows the beauty of simplicity and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom