Review: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon takes on Mac OS X Leopard for the OS of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
You try to defend the honour of an operating system that does not even come with an instant messaging client for goodness sakes,

U R wrong, Windows XP & then Vista comes with Windows Messenger (MSN messenger lite)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK. So you want to play hard ball?

Well, can you make Vista read Word files? That's Microsoft's own format, in case you didn't know.

Or, run automated scripts? See the meaning of a word or synonyms for it? Have whatever you type on online forums spell checked for you? Manage your fonts? Have a four-way audio/video chat session with your friends while you share the screen of your cousin in the USA? Or even something as basic as tabbed chats? Can you read PDF documents or view any Adobe formats?

Ha! Ha! Look who's talking about the "out of the box" experience. :lol:

goobimama

 Macboy
That's one thing that has evaded me as well. No preview for Word or excel files (out of the box, not sure about plugins). Gx mentioned something about PDF being Adobe's thing so they were creating problems. Agreed. But Doc and xls?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
OK. So you want to play hard ball?

Well, can you make Vista read Word files? That's Microsoft's own format, in case you didn't know.

Or, run automated scripts? See the meaning of a word or synonyms for it? Have whatever you type on online forums spell checked for you? Manage your fonts? Have a four-way audio/video chat session with your friends while you share the screen of your cousin in the USA? Or even something as basic as tabbed chats? Can you read PDF documents or view any Adobe formats?

Ha! Ha! Look who's talking about the "out of the box" experience.
most OEMs come with 30 day trial of office and if not an only reader is avaialable for dwnld to view words same for xls & ppt

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
most OEMs come with 30 day trial of office and if not an only reader is avaialable for dwnld to view words same for xls & ppt
I've never seen any OEM machine with MS Office trial. Never! Yes, Adobe reader is bundled. Thats not a problem, tho :)

@infra: I told about the stuff that is not propiatary to windows like DirectX. There ARE stuff you can only use windows for, but thats because you are forced to do so.

@goobi: Ubuntu may fail on some PCs, but reasons may be many. Ever saw this?

@saurav: wow, you will never stop defending windows... you are more ignorant than one of my friends Akash, who thinks that an OS is what it is because of eye-candy and that Vi$ta is the world's best OS. He also thinks Ubuntu is Ugly and can never look good. Accorging to him, linux can't even have a start button. :lol: He sounds terribly foolish when he says Linux sucks, but still, I do have quite a few laughs at his remarks.

@arya: Right on target. Vista can't even read its own formats by default.
aryayush said:
I think saurav is upset that his darling vista is not in this comparison. He feels neglected and discarded, because in this battle of titans(*nixes), the rat(vista) thinks it can beat all of them effortlessly.

@goobi: Even Ubuntu supports PDFs.

PS: hell, in this war b/w ubuntu and macosx, both started to charge towards vista instead:lol:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
iMav said:
Lol.. 30 day trial.. Yeah alright.. That can be surely compared to "unrestricted", "unlimited" out of the box support of these formats on almost EVERY other OS (even phones can read doc and xls nowdays out of the box) :|

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Exactly infra_red_dude. If Windows started to preview them, Microsoft will consider it a bad business practice and users will just use them rather than buying MS Office. My guess is its a deliberate pitfall.

goobimama

 Macboy
I'm sorry I can't load youtube videos (dialup connection). Vista in 2 minutes? What happens then?

Anyway, I hope one day Ubuntu will favour me and get installed on at least one of the PCs. I'm getting a new one, (Intel E23something + 945board). Hope I can get Ubuntu on that one.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
goobimama said:
While I would love to agree with you, I have tried to install Ubuntu (7.04 as well as 7.10) on four PCs, all of whom failed to get through the installer (at least within 4 hours).

PC1: Intel P4, 2.4Ghz, Intel Mobo. failed to boot to installer.
PC2: Intel something something board+CPU (the CPU comes with the mobo). Two of these systems. Ubuntu had problems with the Sis Graphics card.
PC4: Intel P4. 3Ghz presscott. Intel mobo (915 I think). Failed to boot installer.
what a newb you are .. can't help ...!!

i installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my PIII 1 Ghz 192 MB SD RAM successfully
since then rarely boot into Windows XP !

Firefox + terminal + Music Player + Pidgin all running fine , the system runs soo smothly .. anything more system goes slow .. remember SD RAM 192 !

@gx

it runs very fine on my friends 256 MB DDR RAM
also about 256 Being Minimum is for v.good experience !! coz its so nice already in 192 MB SD RAM

and its the latest version of Ubuntu !
latest version of windows need 1 GB minimum !! lol

and if i use XFCE instead of GNOME .. then its runs much better then what Windows XP does on my PC

So these are nothing but facts that i present for people in darkness !
so kindful of me .. next time i rather ignore !

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
akshay said:
You are a tech newb man .. can't help ...!!
How is popping the disc in and hitting "Enter" on "Install or startup Ubuntu" a tech newb thing? Are you also advocating that Ubuntu is only for uber geeks? Cause last I saw, "Ubuntu: Linux for Human beings" was written at the back of the disc jacket.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Yeah Ubuntu is for humans !! think smartly dude
how can you install ubuntu on your system with live cd .. your systems are too old like mine !

Quite simply you have not given a thought how Live CDs Work !!

aren't geeks humans ?? you sound this way !

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Oh common! How else am I supposed to install it? On one hand you say I can install it on old hardware. On the other hand you say my hardware is crap. I'm sorry, but a Pentium4 2.4Ghz is not crap according to me. Each of these systems has 512MB of DDR RAM and should be plenty sufficient for an OS.

And have you heard of a thing called "Figure of speech"? Linux for human beings means that it's finally out of the geek area, and regular ol' people can use it.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
sis chipsets not supported :? it is!.only unsupported(partially supported=2D) is VIA unichrome on linux.

reg,mac,apple is id!ot for trying to "buy" a open source project "CUPS" :D
yeah...on topic:mac is idiot friendly,"Linux is user friendly""windows is....heh!neglect that rat :rolleyes:

goobimama said:
Oh common! How else am I supposed to install it? On one hand you say I can install it on old hardware. On the other hand you say my hardware is crap. I'm sorry, but a Pentium4 2.4Ghz is not crap according to me. Each of these systems has 512MB of DDR RAM and should be plenty sufficient for an OS.

And have you heard of a thing called "Figure of speech"? Linux for human beings means that it's finally out of the geek area, and regular ol' people can use it.
just use On screen instructions and common sence. Patience is important in case of laggy Live CD. all this worked for me.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
@goobimam, Without beating around the bush, why can't you install Ubuntu on any of your systems? Sorry but i'm a little late to the discussion, but if you've already posted it, please provide its link.

goobimama

 Macboy
No beating around the bush. I popped the disc in. It gave me the boot menu with "install ubuntu from disk" "boot from hard drive" "memory test" and all those, I'm sure you are familiar with those.

I hit "Install Ubuntu". It gives me some loading screen. Then some messages thrown in for good measure "Grub loading [OK]" and such. By this time it is already half an hour. But I'm patient. Finally, after 1hour 15mins, it gets to the sort of splash screen with little icons loading in (not the desktop, before that). Finally, I went home, had my dinner, and though okay, when I come back, it will have loaded the desktop at least. Nope. It was stuck there, the CPU was whining so there was something going on, and it had already been like 6-7 hours. Turned it off.

The second PC, p4, 2.4Ghz again (865mobo I think). It wouldn't get past the "loading slider" thing. Just wouldn't. Waited for hours but it didn't go through.

The other two machines are Intel mobos with CPUs soldered on them. Cost me around 3.7k for it (D102 or something). That loaded the desktop just fine, but the display was totally corrupted. I could hardly figure out the installation, which went through. I hoped that the display issue was only due to the Live CD, but nope, it continued on to the installation as well. I changed the Powersupply, RAM, hard drive, but to no avail. I think the Sis Mirage I think, is not supported or something.

Now I'm not sure where I've posted, but praka and grudge might remember I had posted this in the OSS section...

I swear dude. I don't hate linux. I really want to install it on the PCs in the office but this stuff keeps getting in the way. Now I asked my dealer whether or not the new machine will run Linux. Cause if it's not, I'm returning it and getting something else.

Last edited:

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
@goobimama
Ok I assume its Gutsy Gibbon, when you get those [OK] messages, can you post exactly the last message on the screen(the one where it appears stuck for 1hr)?

And when you see the splash screen, hit ESC or Alt+F1 to check for any error messages and do post them too.

goobimama

 Macboy
Excellent. I'll go to the office today maybe tomorrow and run through the installation. Anyway, the new PC is arriving tomorrow. I'll run through that one first just to make sure everything is okay.

I've tried both Gutsy and Feisty btw.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
WHAT ?? 512 MB RAM ?? it must go soo smooth and must install in 15 minutes !
i don't know what's wrong with your computer .. !

and installing ubuntu is soo easy that girls in my class can do it ! seriously ! they all get their lappy to college and show off ! and share Tips for using ubuntu with us !

even my younger bro found it easy on his laptop .. 12 year old ! just had to take care of partitions .. rest he could do it !

Fix your computer and install

i think you know about Partitions manager and setting things correct in it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom