Review: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon takes on Mac OS X Leopard for the OS of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^lol goobi.Just get that new system(e23xx something+946onboard) and then try out gutsy,I have the same mobo.But wait...onboard graphics of 946 are not supported yet! so you won't be able to use compiz fusion,everything else is just cool.

akshay said:
and installing ubuntu is soo easy that girls in my class can do it ! seriously ! they all get their lappy to college and show off ! and share Tips for using ubuntu with us !
seriously?

Last edited:

aku

Gonna make it BiG
aryayush said:
... You try to defend the honour of an operating system that does not even come with an instant messaging client for goodness sakes, ...

just a little correction Aayush, win xp does come with windows messenger. [:)]

Coming back to the topic, it's really pointless comparing GNU/Linux with Mac OS X.
OS X is way too polished in every sense to be brought into any comparison with GNU/Linux.
Here i speak as a neutral person.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
The_Devil_Himself said:
seriously?
yo dude

and our UNIX madam is young hot chic .. ( married though)
she has more knowledge then us in UNIX .. and knows about VMware and Virtual Box !

i helped her write a tutorial for whole class to implement ubuntu using Virtual box and in the process learnt that she had lot of knowledge ! and that she had sidelined the typing work of tutorial to me .. lol !

girls get laptop to college with the reason learn to install linux and share that with friends but actually they get it for show off .. nothing else .. coz my tutorial was enough for them to learn ! lol

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
OK. So you want to play hard ball?

No, just clearing your misconceptions.

Well, can you make Vista read Word files? That's Microsoft's own format, in case you didn't know.

Although you can use the free "Word viewer from Microsoft", it cannot be given due to Anti-Trust rules. I know an end user won't care for this, but well.....kya kar sakte hain, when everyone is targetting MS.

Or, run automated scripts?

Yup, Windows Script, JAVA script files, VB Script files etc.

Have whatever you type on online forums spell checked for you?

IE 7 Pro

Manage your fonts?

Lolz...there is nothing easier then font management in Vista. :D
Have a four-way audio/video chat session with your friends while you share the screen of your cousin in the USA?

Windows Meeting based on Windows Communication foundation.

Can you read PDF documents or view any Adobe formats?

Can't be given integrated due to licensing restriction which is already told.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@goobi
I'm sure you can install Linux on your machines. You need some patience, the culprit I'm assuming is unsupported hardware :)

@akshay
Don't be rude to goobi :)

@gx
Bundling MS Office with Windows would surely drag MS to court, but bundling MS office viewers?? :)) :lol: Cut the crap out, dude!

goobimama

 Macboy
You must understand that I'm a little faint hearted... anything happens and I start crying like a ten year old girl...:)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
It started with GG Vs Leopard and now how did Vista managed to sneak in? Whatever thread I see regarding OSes, somehow these three get mentioned eventually turning out to be an OS war. :twisted:

gx_saurav, I'm not a MVP so I can be wrong. But if at all you want to reply, please quote all the things I'm going to list out. Does Windows:-
1. open pdf file?
2. psd files? (you can't see the layers in Preview)
3. open .doc/.xls/.ppt files? (My Mac came with iWork and MS Office 2004 pre installed)
4. QuickTime (without any plugin/codecs installed) plays more format than WMP
5. although I don't use Safari, I can safely say Safari is better than IE. Or atleast most of our users here prefer Safari over IE.
6. photo management software (IMO, iPhoto is the BEST)
7. Now I'm not including Garageband. Why even iLife suite was preinstalled on my Mac.
8. Chess that comes on a Mac is better than the Cards games. Sure you can run Crysis but we are talking about "out of the box" experience of Windows.

In short, I was able to work on my Mac right away as I would as if I was working on after 1 month, ie, it just worked. What stuff I connect to the USB, it worked. Some "Made for Windows" hardware didn't work on Windows, but it did on my Mac. No install hardware instructions. No gay yellow balloons notification.

Mac just works. This is what, my friend, is called "out of the box" experience. Never used Linux, so can't comment about it, but don't sell me the heap that windows does everything "out of the box".

P.S: They charged the MBP till 40% so that I would able to use without charging the Mac first!

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I'm no MVP myself and consider this offtopic post but just posting.

drgrudge said:
It started with GG Vs Leopard and now how did Vista managed to sneak in? Whatever thread I see regarding OSes, somehow these three get mentioned eventually turning out to be an OS war. :twisted:
This is the fate of every OS thread here at digit ;)

drgrudge said:
1. open pdf file?
4. QuickTime (without any plugin/codecs installed) plays more format than WMP
6. photo management software (IMO, iPhoto is the BEST)
7. Now I'm not including Garageband. Why even iLife suite was preinstalled on my Mac.
Can't due to licensing issues.

drgrudge said:
2. psd files? (you can't see the layers in Preview)
3. open .doc/.xls/.ppt files? (My Mac came with iWork and MS Office 2004 pre intalled)
8. Chess that comes on a Mac is better than the Cards games. Sure you can run Crysis but we are talking about "out of the box" experience of Windows.
Genuine flaws in Windows OOBE.

drgrudge said:
P.S: They charged the MBP till 40% so that I would able to use without charging the Mac first!
Its a standard practise to charge Li-ion/Polymer batteries to 40% for their good health, be it laptop or mobile phone battery.

Lets continue with some on-topic posts :)

drgrudge

infra_red_dude said:
Can't due to licensing issues.
What ever be the case, it's not there in Windows. How can you call "Out of the Box" experience?

I don't think Windows (leave alone Microsoft) has iPhoto or GarageBand equivalent.

infra_red_dude said:
Its a standard practise to charge Li-ion/Polymer batteries to 40% for their good health, be it laptop or mobile phone battery.
Hmm, I don't so. My Dell Inspiron was not charged. Neither did most of my colleagues/friends lappy back in Dubai. It was 0%. It was mandatory that you charge before you use.

[Edit] Posted in the Mac thread, but for those who might have missed it.

I'm watching Transformers the other day (2nd time and this time in HD :cool: ). Only Regret is I didn't see it in Cinemas. Should have seen in 3D IMAX effect in Dubai.

Here's the screenshot of the Apple MacBook Pro working when all the others were not working.

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2321/2114243659_894f81f602.jpg

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/2115016610_eacf5fe9c0.jpg

Click ok the Image to see the goodness in (1280 x 544). Enjoy!

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Yeah, while it is true that the out of box experience is hampered in case of Windows!! Apple can bundle all the apps coz it has always maintained a closed source approach, Linux distros can bundle them coz most of these apps are by 3rd Party and open source (even if not then distros like Sabayon bundle every app you'll ever need in its DVD), so MS is the only company left behind and it can do nothing about it!

I dunno why those Dell weren't charged, but at 40% Li-ion/Polymer batteries haf the lowest discharge rate when on shelf. It is always recommended to charge it fully before using for the first time. My HP (Compaq) presario, thinkpad r52 laptop, cuz' Dell inspiron 6000, 1520, acer 4710, se walkman phone etc. all came with 40% charge. Its a standard practice.

Also if you will not be using those batteries for a long time, then its advised that you charge them upto 40% and store them in a cool dry place.

Btw, nope no free alternatives to those two software.

Ontopic: Most of the software available for Mac are available for Linux (except pro software like photoshop, final cut pro etc.). However, the area where Linux lacks is the integration which Mac can anyday boast of.

drgrudge

^^
I feel Mac has more good apps than Linux (not the sheer amount). I'm talking about Quality than Quantity. Of course, IMHO.

Does Linux has softwares like
- Coda or CSSEdit? Maybe Xylescope or TextMate? (grow beautiful code)
- QuickSilver (just got started the other day, lessons by goobi :cool: )
- Scrivener, Montage or Avenir (tools for writers)
- Billings, iBiz, BusinessCard Composer (Business/Invoice related)

Linux too good softwares but I think Mac wins hands down in this respect.

Thanks for the battery tips. I'm a big junkie in those areas. Know those things before itself. :)

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
I feel sorry for MS actually. They try to do something good, but get smothered with lawsuits. Integrating PDF support among others is something that should go without saying.

Google's lawsuit was the most stupid one. The one about their Desktop Search vs Vista's Search...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
drgrudge said:
^^
I feel Mac has more good apps than Linux (not the sheer amount). I'm talking about Quality than Quantity. Of course, IMHO.

Does Linux has softwares like
- Coda or CSSEdit? Maybe Xylescope or TextMate? (grow beautiful code)
- QuickSilver (just got started the other day, lessons by goobi :cool: )
- Scrivener, Montage or Avenir (tools for writers)
- Billings, iBiz, BusinessCard Composer (Business/Invoice related)
* I've not included most of the Pro softwares here.

Linux too good softwares but I think Mac wins hands down in this respect.

Thanks for the battery tips. I'm a big junkie in those areas. Know those things before itself. :)
Most are OS X specific software so no chance of hafing in Linux. But yes, I agree to the fact that even tho there are less choices when it comes to OS X software (unlike hundreds of software in linux for the same purpose) the ones that are available are just good enuf :)

Others you pointed out.. software mebbe there for Linux. Since I don't use it, I dunno about it.

goobimama said:
I feel sorry for MS actually. They try to do something good, but get smothered with lawsuits. Integrating PDF support among others is something that should go without saying.

Google's lawsuit was the most stupid one. The one about their Desktop Search vs Vista's Search...
Actually its like MS themselves haf created problems, teaching everyone else how and why to file cases etc. and make most of it. If they'd not played dirty tricks before things would've been different.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
infra_red_dude said:
Most of the software available for Mac are available for Linux
Umm... no, man. Mac OS X has an awful lot of awesome third party applications that are completely exclusive to it. :)

^^but strictly speaking, there ARE apps for linux too. Its just that most of them are not designed keeping pros and end-users in mind, so that they are often a bit raw and un-polished(a feature of OSS developement: Most of the time, you are the main concern for yourself). The customer-manufacturer culture of Apple is the reason behind all their intergration and eye-candy.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
aryayush said:
Umm... no, man. Mac OS X has an awful lot of awesome third party applications that are completely exclusive to it. :)
No I meant, similar apps. For instance Time Machine for Mac. rsync scripts were always available since ages. What it lacked was a decent interface and there are no second thots that Mac is the king here :)

For the same software, there are about 50 alternatives! Thats the problem in the world of Linux.

drgrudge

infra_red_dude said:
Most are OS X specific software so no chance of hafing in Linux. But yes, I agree to the fact that even tho there are less choices when it comes to OS X software (unlike hundreds of software in linux for the same purpose) the ones that are available are just good enuf :)

Others you pointed out.. software mebbe there for Linux. Since I don't use it, I dunno about it.
That's my whole point. Of course you won't have the same named softwares. Those are Mac only softwares.

I meant to stress the fact that even though you might have software which offer similar functionality, they might not be the same. For eg, Gimp (Seashore in Mac, without X11) and PhotoShop. I've used Seashore/Gimp and Photoshop in Mac. You can't beat Photoshop.

infra_red_dude said:
For the same software, there are about 50 alternatives! Thats the problem in the world of Linux.
So what? There are many browsers around, but Firefox is the best. There are many image editors, but Photoshop pimps them all. There might be many OSes around, but MAc OS X pwns them all. :twisted:
ok ok, bias and personal opinion.

MetalheadGautham said:
The customer-manufacturer culture of Apple is the reason behind all their intergration and eye-candy.
My Mac helps me this. The surrounding things are beautiful, well designed hardware, good UI and I'm forced in my actions and products as well. I can't imagine coding CSS in another software than CSSEdit.

Now I don't feel like sitting in front of my Windows PC. Most of my future PCs are gonna be a Mac. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom