Review my rig plzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
sam9s said:
The cheapest C2D 6300 should be around 7000 now, but its really worth........
people with very tight budget should look nowhere else but 4200+ or better 4800+

Yes it does on almost all fronts......better google for some realtime benchmarks and you will know what C2D is............techreport.com, xbitlabs.com and anandtech.com are good sites to begin with...

Nope :wink:
Cheapest C2D is E4300 which retails for less than 5k :)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
if u r interested in OCing ur proccy , C2D is the choice , but ur budget maybe a slight constraint . if u're not interested in OCing , at stock speeds , the amd's beat the C2D's ..
since ur budget is slightly a constraint , go for a CRT ( saves abt 4k ) and take a better C2D or a better amd x2 .

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
ok....as everybody is saying c2d is preffered over amd....i will go by it. as for graphic card...8600gt may b a good choice given the fact that it supports dx10 and is vista ready. as for mobo...gigabyte. but i was thinking if im buying intel procy why not go for original intel mobo rather than buying a intel chipset based mobo??

can anyone suggest me the actual model# for the below components
1) procy - c2d - E4300 (is it the right choice given the fact that im not going to upgrade for next 3yrs)
2) mobo - gigabyte/intel - which model
3) graphic card - nv 8600gt (256mb) - xfx or something else??

oh...thx for all the replies :D

pa_7

Right off the assembly line
PainKiller said:
ok....as everybody is saying c2d is preffered over amd....i will go by it. as for graphic card...8600gt may b a good choice given the fact that it supports dx10 and is vista ready. as for mobo...gigabyte. but i was thinking if im buying intel procy why not go for original intel mobo rather than buying a intel chipset based mobo??

can anyone suggest me the actual model# for the below components
1) procy - c2d - E4300 (is it the right choice given the fact that im not going to upgrade for next 3yrs)
2) mobo - gigabyte/intel - which model
3) graphic card - nv 8600gt (256mb) - xfx or something else??

oh...thx for all the replies :D

GO for this configuration:

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (Rs4500)
Motherboard - XFX 650i Ultra (Rs5500)
RAM - Kingston Value Series 2 X 1GB 667MHz DDR2 (Rs3500)
Harddisk - Seagate 160GB SATAII (Rs2100)
Graphics Card - XFX 8600GT 256MB (Rs7500)
Speakers - Creative Inpire 2.1 (Rs1700)
LCD - ViewSonic 19" VG1930WM (Rs10900)
Cabinet - Zebronics ATX with 500W Pure Platinum SMPS (Rs3000)
UPS - Microtech 800VA (Rs2300)

Cost ~ 41K

To reduce the cost: purchase CRT and only 1 GB RAM (add 1 GB later)

Phalanx

Broken In
Original Intel Mobos are horrible overclockers... And without overclock a 4300 wont last 3 years ( for gaming that is)... It will do quite well at this point of time but it will be obsolete (for gaming) much before the 3 years time frame u r looking at... Even with overclocking it will struggle after 3 years but its the best bet @<5K... In overclocking it comes very close to C2D X6800 (2.93 GHz) in performance !!! Check this out *www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=2903 I bought it a month ago for 4600+TAX ... And I do intend to overclock it in the future... At this point of time I am satisfied with its performance...

For Mobo the XFX 650i Ultra packs a lot of value and they are said to be good overclockers... It has support for 1333 MHz FSB and it might just support Penryn...

In Graphic Cards, XFX is a very well known brand... Their USP is the quality and reliability of their products... And they are good overclockers too... So u can safely go for XFX... I bought the 8600GT a month back for 7K + TAX... At its price it is an excellent product... I am playing FarCry,HL2 & FEAR at the max settings(Soft Shadows off in FEAR); Oblivion & STALKER at high settings @ 1440*900 res and I am yet to see any slideshows here... :D

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
Phalanx said:
Original Intel Mobos are horrible overclockers... And without overclock a 4300 wont last 3 years ( for gaming that is)... It will do quite well at this point of time but it will be obsolete (for gaming) much before the 3 years time frame u r looking at... Even with overclocking it will struggle after 3 years but its the best bet @<5K... In overclocking it comes very close to C2D X6800 (2.93 GHz) in performance !!! Check this out *www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=2903 I bought it a month ago for 4600+TAX ... And I do intend to overclock it in the future... At this point of time I am satisfied with its performance...

For Mobo the XFX 650i Ultra packs a lot of value and they are said to be good overclockers... It has support for 1333 MHz FSB and it might just support Penryn...

In Graphic Cards, XFX is a very well known brand... Their USP is the quality and reliability of their products... And they are good overclockers too... So u can safely go for XFX... I bought the 8600GT a month back for 7K + TAX... At its price it is an excellent product... I am playing FarCry,HL2 & FEAR at the max settings(Soft Shadows off in FEAR); Oblivion & STALKER at high settings @ 1440*900 res and I am yet to see any slideshows here... :D

ur rig is exactly what i actually wanted....can u give me gross price of ur rig.

pa_7 said:
GO for this configuration:

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (Rs4500)
Motherboard - XFX 650i Ultra (Rs5500)
RAM - Kingston Value Series 2 X 1GB 667MHz DDR2 (Rs3500)
Harddisk - Seagate 160GB SATAII (Rs2100)
Graphics Card - XFX 8600GT 256MB (Rs7500)
Speakers - Creative Inpire 2.1 (Rs1700)
LCD - ViewSonic 19" VG1930WM (Rs10900)
Cabinet - Zebronics ATX with 500W Pure Platinum SMPS (Rs3000)
UPS - Microtech 800VA (Rs2300)

Cost ~ 41K

To reduce the cost: purchase CRT and only 1 GB RAM (add 1 GB later)

thx for detailed reply. i will finalise my rig very shortly.

Last edited:

Phalanx

Broken In
C2D E4300 - 4600
MSI P6N Sli Platinum - 11200
2 * 1 GB Transcend DDR2 667Mhz - 3700
Lite-On Super All Write 20X - 1550
Seagate 250 GB SATA II - 2950
XFX GeForce 8600GT - 7000
Viewsonic VG1930wm -11600
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard+ Mouse - 1450
Compro Videomate X50 - 1600
i Ball Cabinet ( with 400 watt PSU) - 1500
APC 500 VA UPS - 2050

Prices are exclusive of VAT

Bought this on 6th of June... So should be a little less now especially the RAM...:)

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
thx phalanx.........need to go to nehru place,delhi to get the actual quote.

Phalanx said:
i Ball Cabinet ( with 400 watt PSU) - 1500
APC 500 VA UPS - 2050

should i get 450watts smps cabinet or 400watts is sufficient?
for ups 600va or 500va?

Last edited:

Phalanx

Broken In
I would suggest you to go for 450 or higher SMPS...The higher the better... The minimum recomended by MSI for the P6N SLI Platinum is 450 watts... Till now I have not experienced any problem with the stability of my system with my bundled 400watt SMPS though... But thats probably coz am not using SLI...Also my G card is not a power hungry monster.... Am also planning to buy a 600 watt PSU so that I can safely overclock my cpu... With 400 watts overclocking will be risky...

As for the UPS, go for APC 500 VA... This would suffice... But if you can spend more, then its always better to have a higher rated UPS...

dabster

In the zone
darklord said:
Avoid the M2N-E series,has stability issues and horrible overclockers.
Try something in AMD 690G based boards.
But I am seeing only micro-ATX mobos based on AMD 690G....
Check the Biostar model, don't thing that it can be overclocked much, no multiplier controls... :/

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
just found out....amd x2 4800 is retailing at 5500/- i think its better choice than intel c2d e4300 (5,000/-). what is ur opinion.

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
And get one good PSU for sure when Over clocking :p I am facingt now the problem !!! My 450 Watts ColorSit Cant go more than 3.2 GHz with 4GB DDR-II :(

Phalanx

Broken In
PainKiller said:
just found out....amd x2 4800 is retailing at 5500/- i think its better choice than intel c2d e4300 (5,000/-). what is ur opinion.

At stock speed 4800+ is a better performer than E4300... Check this *www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/16/cpu_charts_2007/

So 4800+ is a better performer per rupee @ stock speeds and thus better VFM...

However, neither of these 2 proccys will last (i.e. perform reasonably) 2 years, let alone 3 @ stock speeds... With the age of quad core (native) and octa core ( who knows wat more) coming up and with applications and games already being developed to fully utilize those cores, a low end dual core will have a very hard time keeping up... In such a scenario, the E4300 looks a much better proposition than the 4800+ due to its amazing overclocking potential (as I have already mentioned in this thread)... Although being a dual core will hold it back a bit but the fact that it can reach 3+ GHz (and more) with ease will put its performance in a different league altogether... And if it can perform at par with a C2E X6800 ( refer the link in my previous thered here) then u can sleep well for at least 2 years ( maybe 3 too) without worrying about your proccys performance:D ... All this for 5k... Wat else do u need... Jump at it right now!!!!;)

A word of caution here- be sure to choose the right mobo if u want to oveclock... U wouldn't want to end up with a E4300 on a 965RY board... LOL

Last edited:

src2206

In the zone
I recently bought a C2D based system and I was hard pressed on budget. Some guys here helped a lot in choosing the right combination [thank friends]. One thing I understand is your choice should entirely depend upon what you want to do. I do a lot of Video editing and MM content development [commercially], so a higher L2 cache is better for me as my work requires multitasking and higher L2 cache helps that. If you do not require this then I would suggest that you stick with AMD, go for 4800+, its an excellent processor and sives good 1MB L2 cache. I have another PC which runs on Athlon 2800+ from AMD. It is a great performer though being single core. As I can compare these two real time, so I can tell you for sure that you shall never notice any noticable difference between AMD X2 and C2D for general use. So it is not really necessary to pay a lot extra for a C2D; and a 4MB L2 cache C2D will cost you far more. Save that money and invest it in a new RAM, your PC will run much faster. :)

OP
PainKiller

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
the stock speed of e4300 is 1.8GHz. how much can it be OCed without burning down my mobo. Pa_7 suggested i go for XFX 650i Ultra mobo...is it good for OCing....as far as PSU is concerned, it think i need atleast 450 watts of power?

which cabi have 450 watts, looks ok and comes at a reasonable price?

oh...i more think, does OCing leads to discontinuation of warranty??

pa_7

Right off the assembly line
PainKiller said:
the stock speed of e4300 is 1.8GHz. how much can it be OCed without burning down my mobo. Pa_7 suggested i go for XFX 650i Ultra mobo...is it good for OCing....as far as PSU is concerned, it think i need atleast 450 watts of power?

which cabi have 450 watts, looks ok and comes at a reasonable price?

oh...i more think, does OCing leads to discontinuation of warranty??

Hey buddy :) ...still not decided

E4300 overclock:
with stock cooler => 2.4GHz without any problem (max. around 2.8GHz)
WIth aftermarket cooler => can overclock 3GHz or more without any issue

I will recommend it to overclock atleast upto 2.4GHz for daily working use
Ya....overclock voids the warranty

XFX 650i Ultra:
No hype....only the performance in good budget...it is not sli/crossfire(or with all those high end stuff) but still one of the best overcoking motherboard in its price range.

PSU:
Don't compromise on power supply if you are planning for overclock and gaming....what I have suggested is good for you...if not the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom