Rescue usin Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku

Gonna make it BiG
Situation : Rescue
Partition Type: NTFS
Prob: Windows Wasnt shut down Porperly.

now whn evr im tryin to mount the partition wid knoppix 5, its givin me an error (in re mode only).
i need to paste config.sys, and ntldr from another partiton.
Hw can i achive diz?

Secondly, knoppix 5 alwayz bootz into 800x600 mode (without usin fb cheat code)
Evn tried usin fb1024x768 but still boots in2 800x600 mode. is thr any way to get 1024x768 (i know it is supported by my system.)
Nw i tried usin insert cd (UBCD) it mounted ntfs partition flawlessly but wasnt abl to write in it. now i restarte mha machine by usin 'init 6' and upon re-booting popped in my knoppix 5 dvd. this time it started in 7024x768 mode but sound mixer wasnt workin ie no sound.
i need a complete guide hw to recover win xp by usin linux.
More ove i booted it wid winxp cd but it did nt show me any [r] option for recovery console.

(THE ABOVE SITUATION IS TOTALLY CREATED BY ME AS I WANTED TO EXPERIMENT WAT HAPPENS WHN NTLDR IS DELETED.. THUS EVN HAVIN A BKUP COPY.. LOL)

praka123

left this forum longback
i donno whether knoppix supports ntfs write support.try getting any ntfs-3g(which as u know supports ntfs fs write support) write supported distro.knoppix may not allow u to edit a mounted FS.but u can try setting a root passwd and login as root in a shell. i heard windows admins uses knoppix live to keep bkups tats all.
reg X resltn u need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf \refer the tutorial on editing xorg.conf in sticky...

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Prakash, Knoppix 5.0.1 supports NTFS read/write. So no need to install any utilities for NTFS read/write.

OP
aku

aku

Gonna make it BiG
even tried using insert (the standalone insert from inside security, it supports ntfs 3g but stinn in not being able to right anythin on my ntfs partition. nw another thing i wanna kno is watz the command to mount (forcefully) a ntfs partition in rw mode?

eddie

El mooooo
It is because you might still be using ntfs module and not ntfs-3g. Are mounting the partition manually or using fstab?

OP
aku

aku

Gonna make it BiG
jus like a no brainer.. i want the commands.
yeah.. got it.. i was still usin normal mount command.
btw watz the diff between dsl, insert and insert for ubce.. i mean ne major differences?... and moreovr which is more preferred in case of duin wat i said abv.. ie duin a rescue job.

accordin 2 ur openion.. which is the best distro to do rescue jobs.. adn has lots of built in scripts to make life easier... plus if its loabeabe in2 ram.. thn its a doubl advantage.

eddie

El mooooo
That ^ i didn't understand...
Can a cryptologist out of us decipher the code language he is using? :?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It's SMS'ese. Here it goes. Will give my best try to decipher it using the most poerful technology in the universe :razz:
just like a no brainer.. i want the commands.
Decrypter running.............
yeah.. got it.. i was still using normal mount command.
btw what is the difference between dsl, insert and insert for ubce.. i mean any major differences?... and moreover which is more preferred in case of doing what i said above.. ie doing a rescue job.

accordin 2 your opinion.. which is the best distro to do rescue jobs.. and has lots of built in scripts to make life easier... plus if its loadeble into the RAM.. than it's a double advantage.
........................1 Job successfully finished.

OP
aku

aku

Gonna make it BiG
sorry fellas.. now onwardz no sms lingo.
double advantage.. the distro is damn fast as its running frm ram.. and the second thing is the cd rom derive is also frr to burn cd's and read any other cd/dvd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom