Request to mods, senior members and all out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
Well, Just couldn't resists, thats the reason for this post. No hard feelings please, do not want to hurt any.

This is going to be reported and deleted, This is in the wrong section, I know it, but I am posting coz, atleast for deleting Mods will read this.

So dear mods, senior members and all others here ...

You might have noticed some threads in this section going very active with lot of replies. But when you go through them you can see what the users actually post. Many are posting things that are no way related to the topic. Personal attacks, oh well, I already posted in one thread but I see people continue the same.

One is based on a blog post (to be frank, I have no idea how popular that blog is, never even heard of that before and it is owned by a guy who is working for Microsoft) where we all fight based on OS security. Such discussions are always good provided they give other not-that-geek users (like me) some useful information on OS security. Now, please go through it and you can see how many posts in that thread is really useful to any member.

Other popular threads are based on iPhone. Well, did they ever launch it commercially ? Did it reach India ? How many of us started using it ? Based on the product video and on blogs we are fighting over there too. What next ? We dream of things that never came to relaity and will decide whether to buy it or not right now ? Why just can't wait to see the things in real before fighting and taking the final decisions ?

So whats the problem ? Why we should not go like this ?

1. See how many people are leaving ThinkDigit forum coz of this. Just now I had a messenger chat with an old member, he was telling me he lost interest in digit forum reading all these. How many members were there who post only quality materials. Just for example, is it possible to find a single useless post by Nemi in this board ? 100% of his posts were Excellent.
We will miss those people.

2. If mods are not involving in these kinda discusions, it will encourage people who look only for post counts and aim bashing / personal attack and there will be more and more posts from them, making the section useless again.

3. Related to my point 1, those who really want to post something that is useful, becomes just readers of the forum. do you think all here with low post counts are noobs ? Or they are very new to this forum ? They are all silent coz even if they post something that does not help the topics getting diverting. Read the post by Infra_Red_Dude if you think I am posting crap.

4. This will really help other blogs / magazine forums. ThinkDigit forum has a reputation, still. If you are gonna tell - 'I don't care', then I am really sorry, but as I mentioned before I just can't watch this forum going worse and worse.

5. We are like groups here ! Win group, Lin group, Mac group and what not ! Good for constructive criticism and great discussions, but it goes like if someone form a group post something thats crap, all the group members goe and support him ! If the same guy post something thats pretty useful or something thats new, all other groups attack him (knowing hes right or his post is good). Can't belive ? Please go through the thread I mentioned.

Do you really think it is right ? where are the mods ? (yes I agree, we should control ourself and Mods can't come and read every single post and can't scold each and every one for the posts).

I have a humble request to all the great geeks out here. As always please feel free to ignore it if you think it is crap.

Please post something useful and relevant. Please, please stay away from personal attacks. Please post only if you have something thats useful to others, else just read the post and close the window. Always post things like your opnion or your suggestion. You have no right to tell - Only this is right, all other things are crap. Tell 'I think this is good/better, but it depends'. If you get a lot of time for posting in ThinkDigit, make sure you post atleast one topic that is really useful for all users.

I really hope some of us will read this - atleast that much !

Good Night :)

prasad_den

Padawan
PErsonal attacks and Win vs Mac fights are really annoying nowadays..! I gotta agree to that. Its become so much that nowadays, I ignore threads of some spcific topics and specific posters too.. :(

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I read it.. "Fully" and i rarely read long posts, cuz generally they are just quotes of people shouting on each other. I agree, even i have become a lot less active cuz of this. If you post something, 100 people will jump on you with 100 different conclusions! Anyway, i fully agree with din. Most if not all people here at least by now know what windows/linux/mac is all about. So no point repeating yourself in every post. If you think someone is posting crap, just keep shut. EVERYONE would know its crap. Im sure ill get at least 5 replies to this post, quoting a part of it and fighting with me :)

@prasad_den: I also ignore (or at least try my best to ignore) the posts of at least 10 people on this forum. And it really doesnt make a difference to me if they exist on this forum or not.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
prasad_den said:
PErsonal attacks and Win vs Mac fights are really annoying nowadays..! I gotta agree to that. Its become so much that nowadays, I ignore threads of some spcific topics and specific posters too.. :(

yeah, too much of anything is bad! these dayz i restrict myself to very few sections. browse other sections only once a while coz almost all others sections contain win vs mac vs linux threads who haf zero outcome. nobody is ready to listen to the other. personal attacks galore.... and it seems really very very stupid. i'm not naming anyone in particular but they all overdo it.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
din ok lets put things in perspective here .... and lets name a few members

i remember the first days of me joining thinkdigit i was locked in an OS war within the first week with andy & gx at that time i wasnt a pro any OS or anti any OS, but that thread after some time made no sense at all after a few pages cause the same points were repeated again and again with no logical reasoning at all, i requested the moderator to lock the thread

now cut to these weeks we all know arya is a pro-mac and gx is pro-windows but at a point of me being on this forum i realized that most of the posts made by members were anti-Windows, any news that was posted turned into a flame war, be it Sony's PS3, MS Zune or the iPhone (the iphone war has been on at this forum since it was first rumored to be in the offing)

and to be honest most of the posts in these threads were purely anti-MS and every1 knows it on this forum there is a strong anti-MS feeling on this forum and every1 bashed windows - it has viruses, its unstable its this its that and use of the superlative degree became prominent - this is best that is worst again there was no rational understanding or thinking

Now iv always maintained that use what does your work well but dont threat the others coz they are using windows they are jerks and posts which meant this were made and to many members it might ring some bells

there is a point where u sit back staring at the screen and say what the hell does this guy think about what he is using he is typing as if God made it and he is the privileged 1 using it and he thinks we are some deprived class of humans

that is when some members - me, other than gx decided to reply to topics and posts which as a result tuned into fight clubs

But at the same time consider urself in a group of friends is everything hunky-dory, do u everytime agree to everything said by a fiend or does every1 accept what 1 says ... there are discussions which at times go to a higher level and that is what happens here

All of us arya, me, gx, goobi, nepcker, prakash are like that volcano type group who draw their swords at everything ;) but at the end we are all friends, to a reader those comments might seem very personal but all of us have called each othe with so many adjectives that it hardly makes a difference to me atleast ;)

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@iMav

I never wanted to name any one.

Let's go through the threads I mentioned. Those may have more than 150 replies. Just count the replies that are really useful to all members here, that are really related to thread title or have something new.

How many we got ? 10 ? or less ?

I know we are all friends, and I agree, we all fight here still we are friends etc. But why we just can't stay away from personal attacks, irrelevant posts and useless replies ?

Thats the only point.

I have an excellent quote from the vista thread. The person posted this - please do not feel bad. I put this only as an example, Dil pe math rahna re :)

Does anyone watch yash raj movies? nobody gives a sh1t. Singing and dancing comes on tv, there is no story. then what's there to protect? These yash raj,karan johar,similar people have ruined the indian cinema. Aaaak thoo..

I tried my best, But I couldn't figure out, please help me, how this post is related to security in Vista OS ?

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^ when the report came, Linux fanboys started bashing that it is lie & wrong report. I wrote first, "Why is it that anything which praises Windows or Microsoft is a lie?" Then prakash started his DRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRMDRM DRM.

This deviated the thread, so I just replied clarifying that Vista has no DRM which affects anyone in India or any one using any normal DivX, Xvid etc. but still prakash came back with his DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM & as u can see, trying to give him an explanation results in nothing. He can't listen to the truth.

An idiot is not someone who cannot understand. It is someone who don't want to understand.

iMav gave him explanation that Yash raj film providing DRM based music is not a fault of MS. Ok you tell me, how is it Microsoft's fault that Yash Raj film has decided to bundle there music with DRM. Suppose it was iTunes then what? He would have never said "Its apple's fault that they have a monopoly over the digital music market".

Then came eddie saying MS had a choice, they could have turned the market by going against government bodies like RIAA & MPAA. This irked me quite a lot. No matter how big Microsoft is, they are still a company working under the law of US Government & working under there tax system & business laws with a license. MS could have easily lost there license to business.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
if u go through the entire conversation and the replies before that then i can assure u will feel the same like avatar when he posted it ... i hope u read my previous post entirely ...

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Vista OS Security -> DRM -> Yash Raj -> karan johar have ruined the indian cinema ->

Wait, lemme guess

Hollywood movies are best as all indian movies are ruined -> No Bollywood is best -> fight again -> Tamil is best -> No, Hindi movies are best -> and it goes on ...

If the thread goes like that, we will not need another thread to discuss the movie - Shivaji :)

I wanted to tell how the topic get diverted and why nobody including seniors or mods is doing anything to stop such discussions. Either delete unwated post, or warn the user and ask him to delete the irrelevant post or atleast ask the users to come back to the topic.

Now I am confused, may be I am crazy ? lol

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
din the thing is forums have evolved i wasnt a part of the initial phpbb days of thinkdigit but i guess at that time it was only who had an answer would post but times have changed now forum is a place where we kinda chat its no more ok iv got this problem if i have a solution i will post now there are discussions and discussions have to be looked at entirely if u jump to a post all of a sudden it will definitely not make sense but if u are active in the discussion from the beginning whats posted will make sense ... again i hope who ever replies to anything i say reads all my posts coz then u will be replying to a single post where as my posts are sort of a continuation of the previous ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
din said:
.....how this post is related to security in Vista OS ?

i told you its a chain!

bad movies in indian cinema -> yash raj films -> drm -> vista controversy-> vista features -> vista security!!!

i hope now its clear, din.. rite??!! ;) :D no wonder i refrain from posting unless the posts are related to the last two levels of the chain. this chain grows bigger and bigger and finally snaps, leading to a mess!

oops! posted bit late!! u beat me din! :D

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@iMav

No, I fully agree with you. Yes, it goes like a chat and not just the exact replies to posts, can't say it is wrong. I read the entire thread. I see the continuity too.

But I also see its getting diverted at many places. And sometimes it goes to places noway related to the topic.

If at any point anyone want to get diverted, why not a new thread ?

after the OS -> DRM -> Yash Raj turn, why not a new topic in the 'General Section' with title 'Karan Johar have ruined the indian cinema?' so that OS security will continue in this section and the other one in General.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i dont want to dilute the meaning of this thread but infra i would have loved to reply to ur post

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
We don't want to post again & again the same thing. Mehul told me why we can't have FFDShow in Ubuntu bundled. Well, I read it & then I never asked him again why cos now I know why it cannot be included. (though i want it to be included).

However, like I said before. Lingeeks do not listen. Even if we clarify something they don't read it & still start there old tune.

We started the Mac thread trying to clear some misconceptions of Mac. Before we started it, no macboy ever said any flaw of Mac. They were portraying it as the best. We used it here & showed them where it lacks, in a constructive criticism but we were greeted with hatred & fanboy statement. Before we started the thread no macboy ever said that Mac has no cut option. Finder has no Option for Icon spacing, dock has no similar window grouping.....now what do u conclude from this. Is it wrong to clear misconception & show everyone what is true & what is lie.?

Arya wrote statement like "You cannot drag & drop images directly from web browser to Photoshop in Windows or URL links to Explorer or Text in webpage to any text app". I showed him proof video that we can do all that & much more. But he never replied back, cos it hurt his ego that he was proved wrong in Public. I still remember his statement "IE doesn't support drag & drop to Explorer/Photoshop, No chance in hell".

We Windows users know where Windows lacks & prevails. Vista is out there from 6 months & 0 virus. Now can't we praise MS for coming out with something this much secure? Sure Vista will have virus someday, well with this logic even Mac OS X will have virus someday. However the Linux/Mac users don't listen to use at all.

If Windows has some flaw we acknowledge it. Being a MVP & Technet member I bring this issue to Microsoft too, & that goes under fixing. But one thing that Mac users & Linux users don't want to believe that Microsoft also has talented designers & programmers. According to them, those MIT, BIT NID NIFT Graduates working in Microsoft are idiots who don't know anything about software or UI designing.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
i dont want to dilute the meaning of this thread but infra i would have loved to reply to ur post

sure buddy go on... this thread doesn't focus to any tech topic. when such threads go haywire then why not post reply to this??!!! :)

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hmm.. so this thread now serves the purpose of a summary of the entire issue regarding linux/windows/mac :-S

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
We used it here & showed them where it lacks, in a constructive criticism but we were greeted with hatred & fanboy statement.
hmmm.. i dun think so. u may haf that intention but the proactive way u put it didn't show that intention of urs. i'm no macboy niether am i a linux or windows guy. i use linux where windows lacks and windows where linux lacks. dun think i'm against u or windows or i support mac or linux. but this is jus my opinion based on the reading of that thread.

it seemed as if u'd installed mac os just to bash it (same is the case wid linux), i kno u acknowledge the flaws of windows and goods of mac and linux but these things lose their importance coz of the way u put it in. same is the case wid arya, all his posts are such that they are created to bash windows. (sorry i had to name a few ppl).

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Guys ... Can we stop this once and for all and start a new chapter in digit?
I think we can compromise and help each others. Just relax.. you guys have greate talent and we can make beter use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom