Req. HELP with MoBo & PSU for phenom II build

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
hey guys:smile:

i am new to this forum and this is my 1st thread

i require some help from the members in selecting an asus mobo and psu for my new system based on amd phenom II x4 955 be

following are the requirements-

mobo budget - 5-6k
brand - only asus
pcie 16x - single

based on these req. i have shortlisted 2 chipsets-
770 and 870

and following models-
amd 770 chipset- m4a77td and m4a77t/usb3
amd 870 chipset - m4a87td and m4a87td/usb3

for PSU

550W
brands - Cooler master or Corsair
budget - 5k

i am open to suggestions for other models

kindly guide me:-D

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
Please put your complete rig up front so to help us decide the psu.
Regarding Mobo, any specific reason why do you want only asus??

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
asus service sucks! avoid it..
there are quality mobos from gigabyte and msi. never be brand specific, you will gain nothing!!
also as toad mentioned please give your entire config..

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
here is my rig

amd phenom II x4 955be
asus mobo
2x2 gb ddr3 1333 corsair ram
xfx 8800 gt (to upgrade to nvidia 460)
1 tb hdd
1 dvd writer

hence i think a 550w would be enough

the asus service in my city is good + the distributor is my friend so i can get good price and service
i just cant decide which model to go for, same for the PSU brand

i also wanted gigabyte boards but the service is really pathetic here

thnx

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
ok so the opposite is happening!!

for the psu get corsair vx550w @ 4.7k
for mobo get ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 @ 5.7k..looks good feature wise.

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
yes the 87td is a good board even the best board of the lot feature wise, but i havent been able to find much info/reviews about it

and there are very few 870 based mobos on offer, be it asus or giga!!
whereas there are plenty of 770 boards out there!!

cant seem to find a reason to this

i am been offered a vx550 for 5300!!!!
and gx 550 for 4700

are these prices correct?

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
The one suggested by jaz is a good one with good price.
I understand your condition. We've got the same problem at the place where i live. Everybody just sells asus and above that they pronunce it
'aa-suss'..
Btw, I think Vx450w @ 3.7 might suffice your needs as 550w is but too expensive.

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
yes, same here asus everwhere!!!

i am planning to upgrade the gpu to nvidia 460 in a yrs time and the min. supply of that is 450w, thats why i was going with the 550 unit

pegasus

Journeyman
The following 2 motherboards are available afaik.
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
ASUS M4A87TD EVO
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

You may get a rough idea on prices here-
*www.deltapage.com/list/index.html

VX550 (4.5K-4.7K approx) is a good buy considering you may get a gfx card that requires 2x PCIe connectors.

Jas-
ASUS Unveils the Bigger & Better - E.L.I.T.E. 2.0 Service for Motherboards

E.L.I.T.E. 2.0 - India's Largest Service Network for Motherboards Now Offers Burnt & Corrosion Warranty on All ASUS Motherboards & Expands Reach to 798 Indian Cities
E - Ease of service - Customers can simply call the toll free number and get a sms within 1 hour of logging the call.
L- Commitment of Lowest TAT (Turn-Around-Time) in the industry.
I - Instant Swap / In 24 hours repair facility* (This facility also includes DOA replacement for motherboards for up to 60 days from distributor invoice date and is available only at ASUS Service centres).
T - Toll Free Number and total absence of charges for organizing the pick and return service.
E - Expansive list of 798 cities covered by this service making this the largest network in India for Motherboards.
*www.indiaprwire.com/pressrelease/computer-hardware/2010090861563.htm
One guy got a new and much better SATA 6Gbps, USB 3.0 mobo with full 3 years warranty in replacement for an older AMD motherboard.
Another guy was offered credit note of 7K (full refund i think) or a P7P55D (more expensive i think) mobo in replacement for an older socket 775 mobo.
These are just a few cases i have heard of.

Last edited:
OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
Everybody just sells asus and above that they pronunce it
'aa-suss'..

you wont believe that yesterday i was visiting the dealers shop and a guy (self proclaimed computer professional for 10yrs!!) pronounced asus as aaa-suss!!!:roll:

it was the first time i heard some1 pronounce it this way, instantly i thought of your post and couldnt help but burst into a laughter there (embarrassing the "professional"):)):)):)):))

it was just hilarious;-)

Last edited:

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
^^^ lol.
You go up front and say 'asus'...and they think..."mehn...what a looser. Cant even pronunce right. Oh well why do i care as long as this dumb idiot can be looted easily"...will come up with worst aaaasusssss model, "yea lijiyea sir, best thing for you @ 6000 only".
Getting on topic...
Cant you order online?
Cuz aslong as you are sure you would get proper service, i dont mind asus. I own M4A785TD-V EVO. Everythings fine but northbridge tends to get hot even with that fancy blue heatsink.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I own M4A785TD-V EVO. Everythings fine but northbridge tends to get hot even with that fancy blue heatsink.

i think the NB heats up cause its fancy from outside & crap from inside :grin:

its a 2 piece heatsink. the upper part can be slide out. till it doesn't heats up like Fermi (& get smoked) its safe.

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
^^^well, i promised moderators (after two severe groundings) that i would stop getting off topic but i'd also like to say that there's not a single fan in my cabbie!
Lol.
'Less you are counting the cpu cooler.
Btw, long time no see eh, sam bhai??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
no fan? such a fancy mobo (heatsink) & no fan. oh, its a bit of shame. BTW, upto what temp the NB heatsink hits?

went out of station for a weeks time.

Top Bottom