Req. HELP with MoBo & PSU for phenom II build

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
@toad_frog09

the ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 isnt available at indore distributor and will take 4-5 days to get @6200k

he was trying to sell me a ASUS M4A87TD EVO @7000k+ which i declined

guess i'll wait for the usb3 one

BTW i have chosen a Seagate ST31000528AS 1Tb
is it the right choice??

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^best is avoid cm gx also. these use low end components as compared to corsair ones. also price difference is not that much.

@vishalg
yes, seagate is fine..

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
can anyone enlighten me on the differences between
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
&
ASUS M4A87TD EVO
both have become available with the local dealer

i could only find , evo has a 8+1 phase power design and crossfire support
does it justify the 800 odd bucks premium over the 87td usb3?

what are the real world benefits of 8+1 power design??

does it make sense

Last edited:

pegasus

Journeyman
vishal-
running a quick look at the specs, the EVO model also has eSATA port and firewire(1394).

This is what i found in the features list for the ASUS M4A87TD EVO
8+1 Phase Power Design
To fully unleash the AM3 CPU´s potential, the ASUS M4 Series motherboards have adopted a brand new 8-phase VRM power design.
It delivers high power efficiency and supreme overclocking ability.
Furthermore, high quality power components can effectively lower system temperature to ensure longer component lifespan.
This series also features an extra 1 phase power dedicated to integrated memory/HT controller.
All that is pretty self-explanatory and also universally applicable to motherboards/motherboard design in general.
Overclocking/24x7 use or not, more phases is always better for the above mentioned reasons afaik.
Simply put, one should always prefer getting a motherboard with beefy power phase circuitry imho.

vwad-
I have usually not seen many complaints about the mid-range and esp high end offerings from ASUS.
There might have been some issues with entry-level mobos at one point of time.
Everyone has their ups and downs and the nos may seem high even if the percentage might not be, as the volume of sales for ASUS has always been very high.
At one point of time some years back, almost everyone i knew had an ASUS motherboard.
ASUS has some very good boards in terms of features and quality.
If you do find anyone having issues now, please do start a thread for the same with all details.

Last edited:
OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
eSATA port and firewire are barely of use to me, and so is the crossfire support (@ x16 and x4, what a joke)

the only main adv is the 8+2 power phase

is it worth paying the premium??
evo - 6.6k
usb3 - 5.2k!!!

pegasus

Journeyman
vishal- deltapage had some different figures iirc- around 5.7K approx and the EVO at around 6.3K approx
*www.deltapage.com/list/index.html

I have already mentioned earlier that it's preferable to get motherboards with beefy power phase design and good cooling, layout, etc- overclocking or not.
The final call has to be yours.
I feel that the minor price difference for getting 8+1 power phases (and i use eSATA too) is well justified but what is important is if you feel it's justified or not.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
i think the NB heats up cause its fancy from outside & crap from inside :grin:
Yes.
With advices like that, who needs unethical dealers. :grin:
There's a difference between hot and warm. People, there are something called hwmonitor? Heck almost every well known brand comes with their own temperature display software.

You might take it as a joke, but not others. Its because such comments people are misled and spread idiotic myths.

Besides, advisors of all people should know that passive heatsinks help to dissipate heat away from the core's surface an its obvious it will be "hot". As far as hardware in mid-to-high end boards, asus mobos and graphic cards are pretty good. But in some boards they have minor compatibility issues, entire lineup is overlooked because of service history (then again, xfx and altec lansing is under rashi's umbrella- do you see them not buying) and entire ROG series are over priced like crazy.

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
vishal- deltapage had some different figures iirc- around 5.7K approx and the EVO at around 6.3K approx
*www.deltapage.com/list/index.html

I have already mentioned earlier that it's preferable to get motherboards with beefy power phase design and good cooling, layout, etc- overclocking or not.
The final call has to be yours.
I feel that the minor price difference for getting 8+1 power phases (and i use eSATA too) is well justified but what is important is if you feel it's justified or not.

the price diff of delta and what i am getting is weird!!!:???:
delta's diff is 700 while mine is just double:roll:

Top Bottom