Remotely Switch on a Android device after it has been stolen?

criztle

Advocate | Lawyer
Hi, my mobile has been stolen yesterday, for the police to trace it, it needs to be switched on.

So my question is
Is the anyway to remotely Switch ON the android device? and how

I had installed AVG mobile security on it.

can any help please help me out :(

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If the device is switched off, there's no way you can turn it on. But I believe at some point in time the device should turn on. How else the device can be used again?
And if the device is turned on and if internet is on, there maybe a possibility that you can remotely gain access to its physical location here: *www.google.com/android/devicemanager?hl=en&u=0. But there's a slim chance.

OP
criztle

criztle

Advocate | Lawyer
Yeah. We have put it on trace as soon as it comes back on the network..we will catch that person.

I am asking for future
Is it possible to write code(program) that can remotely switch ON a device.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, if a device is completely OFF, there's nothing running on it that allows it to get ON again. So, making a device "ON" seems impossibly at first.
But then, older Nokia phones used to turn on to ring alarms, so we do have the technology. But I am completely unaware if its possible on Android devices.

OP
criztle

criztle

Advocate | Lawyer
I just got this
android - How to start an alarm if the mobile is switch off - Stack Overflow

will that help?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am not an Android developer (yet), but I think if you can make a device wakeup for an alarm, you can just make a device wake up!

Btw, for the record, here's what every Android should read *before* their device is stolen: 10+ Apps To Track Lost / Stolen Android Devices

OP
criztle

criztle

Advocate | Lawyer
I had installed the AVG mobile security but its of no use as it is switched off plus the SIM has been deactivated by us to prevent the misuse.

Do let me know if there is anyway other way to switch ON the my samsung galaxy S4. I bought it in July this year.

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
I can't go into the internal bits as I never bothered to learn much about this , but it seems possible after going through the links that you mentioned

Currently, you can't switch it on as there is no app available.
Besides, there isn't any manufacturer enabled hardcoded setting that you can make use of.
Third, you can't trace the phone if he has already(which he would probably have) removed the SIM.
Fourth, you can't install an app remotely(which have recently shown up in play store due to increased instances of thefts) if he has clean wiped the phone thus resulting in de-associating your Google account.

I lost mine in Janakpuri, July 2011. Where did you lose btw ?

OP
criztle

criztle

Advocate | Lawyer
Mine was pick pocketed in fire cracker market in Noida. police caught few of them (they were hardly around 10 or 12 years old) and there, two mobiles were recovered but they were not mine.

ankush28

Bazinga
yes you can do it by tweaking your kernel(saw few days ago on xda) so its possible but very hard to achieve... and it requires a battery inserted in phone...(its obvious that if its stolen then thieves wont insert battery)
Btw you can use aftermarket anti-theft Hardware...(if you are very much insecure about droid)

kapilove77

Padawan
Too bad to hear ur story but i would be extra careful when i go near congested places. don't wana lose my 32k mobile. :D

OP
criztle

criztle

Advocate | Lawyer
hello

my lost mobile was online, that means it was connected to internet.

can anyone trace it using the internet?

please it would be of immense help.

<samsung find my mobile> and it is also not formatted as i am still able to login on the samsung find my mobile.

if it cmes online again can anyone trace it.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
did u activated the Anti-Theft feature on AVG?

The Police can trace mobiles if they want to as the IMEI of cellphone will be used in their tracing tower.

on of my frnds SGS 3 was stolen & found after 3 months (with the help of Police)

OP
criztle

criztle

Advocate | Lawyer
yeah but they can't unless the thief inserts a SIM.... the thief is using ...internet without SIM. any way to trace it using internet.

Hrishi

Android manager is your only choice for wiping information , that too only if it set as device administrator,.

Remotely booting up a device. Doesn't seems possible unless the device is specially built with that feature.

I lost one last week . I know what you are thinking, :p

Hrishi

did u activated the Anti-Theft feature on AVG?

The Police can trace mobiles if they want to as the IMEI of cellphone will be used in their tracing tower.

on of my frnds SGS 3 was stolen & found after 3 months (with the help of Police)

The guy must be lucky, police don't usually file a report of stolen cellphone. They ask it to be reported as lost instead,

Hrishi

hello

my lost mobile was online, that means it was connected to internet.

can anyone trace it using the internet?

please it would be of immense help.

<samsung find my mobile> and it is also not formatted as i am still able to login on the samsung find my mobile.

if it cmes online again can anyone trace it.
Yes, use ANdroid device manager in your Google dashboard.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
The guy must be lucky, police don't usually file a report of stolen cellphone. They ask it to be reported as lost instead,

Yeah..I very well know about that happened with me too when my N82 was pick pocketed way back..Police registered it as lost.
but in case of my frnd's SGS3 it was snatched from him (the duo was in bike) thats the reason FIR was logged
and Man!!! Police beat the thieves so deadly in jail...until they pee

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Yeah..I very well know about that happened with me too when my N82 was pick pocketed way back..Police registered it as lost.
but in case of my frnd's SGS3 it was snatched from him (the duo was in bike) thats the reason FIR was logged
and Man!!! Police beat the thieves so deadly in jail...until they pee

WTF!!! Like, really??? :shock:

Top Bottom