registry cleaning safe?

scavanger007

On KillingSpree!!!
I m planning to clean my registry in an attempt slightly boost the speed of pc. I have never done this before.
Any precautionary advice, suggestions?

tkin

Back to school!!
Why would you want to clean it? Registry slow down is a myth, modern windows os(7) manages the registry perfectly, if you have an issue you can try to modify the registry but do not clean it.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clean it if you are experiencing some glitches related to extension icons and file associations.

and use CCleaner. It is free and safe. Ideally, take save back-up when CCleaner asks.

Don't mess around manually with Regedit.exe unless you know what you are doing. Registry is one of the reason why Windows sucks - single point of failure.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
You can do it. I use CCleaner once a fortnight. Take a backup. Via CCleaner or manually.

Scientia Wiz

In Shameful Misery
Yes to maintain your PC properly use CCleaner and put it on the startup mode an d whenever you will boot your PC then it will clean all your registries and the startup ! :-D

gameranand

Living to Play
Well its entirely safe. I do this all the time and sometimes I get the performance boost I mean sometimes when I do defrag, cleaner and all that ten game loading times reduces.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
safe till you use the recommended apps & don't try to do it manually. i have TuneUp Utilities & CCleaner installed. Tuneup does autocleanup ever 4-5 days inc registry.

but from what i have seen it doesn't increase performance much. just solves some small problems. instead defrag registry & your drives.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
adding to above posts is that most people still go ahead and re-install entire OS if anything goes wrong with registry, actually it can be fixed using recovery option (by running installation CD/DVD).

Vignesh B

Youngling
Personally I have never had any problems with registry cleaners, neither any major performance boost.
But to be on the safer side take a backup of your registry and then do the cleaning by using known softwares like Ccleaner or Glary Utilities.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i have 1 small doubt:

you take backup of registry, clean registry using some cleaner & it deletes some important keys & you end up with an unbootable system. will that backup be of any use?

Vignesh B

Youngling
i have 1 small doubt:

you take backup of registry, clean registry using some cleaner & it deletes some important keys & you end up with an unbootable system. will that backup be of any use?

If the system becomes unbootable, then there is no use.
But the use comes when, say a software doesn't work after registry cleaning, then you can use that backup.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
i have 1 small doubt:

Doubt it would reach that severity. Usually an applications(s) stops responding. Just double click the .reg to over ride.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I like Registry Cleaning, even if it's a myth. Makes me feel like, I am brooming the OS :p
Never had any problems, related to registry cleaning. I do a registry clean at least twice a month.

tkin

Back to school!!
I never cleaned the registry in my last OS(XP), ran it straight for 3 yrs without any significant hitch, just a few bad drivers, some manual cleaning and system restore saved my @$$. I never had to do any reinstall or repair, same with win 7, ran it for about an year or so without any issue, after which I upgraded the hardware.

Top Bottom