Recommendations needed for GPU purchase

quicky008

Technomancer
I am using a 8600GT with a 20" Samsung LCD monitor.This GPU struggles to run most newer games at higher resolutions and hence I am keen on upgrading it soon.I am looking for a reliable graphics card with at least 1GB video memory that can run upcoming games like Crysis 2 in DirectX11 mode at my monitor's native resolution i.e. 1600*900 with most of the visual settings maxed out.

I do not intend to spend more than Rs 8000 on the new card.So please recommend something that'll fit into my budget and take care of all my gaming needs for a while.I prefer using Nvidia graphics cards but suggestions about Ati GPUs are also welcome.I'd also like to add that I have a cooler master Extreme power 600W psu that features 2 six pin pci-e power connectors.

My system config is as follows-Pentium D 2.66GHz,945 GNT Intel mobo with a pci-e slot and 2GB ram.

ssb1551

Technomancer
HD5770 is the card for you though you might have to pay some 200/300 bucks extra.I don't know whether you can play Crysis 2 at max visual settings with it or not but at your budget thats the best bet.And no nVidia has nothing to offer within 8k which beats 5770.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
What about the 1GB nvidia GTS 450?Will it be a good buy?I have heard that the Gts 450 and Radeon HD5770 are very similar to each other in terms of performance-is it true?

How much is a GTS 450 expected to cost?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
gts 450 will perform slightly less than a radeon 5770 but is quite close and priced cheaper too at around 6.8k. You will get physx and cuda support too and better performance in some 3d editing apps like vue(for example).

Upgrade your cpu if you want to utilise your newer card to the fullest. GO FOR AN AMD BASED ATHLON 2 X4 imo.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
gts 450 will perform slightly less than a radeon 5770 but is quite close and priced cheaper too at around 6.8k. You will get physx and cuda support too and better performance in some 3d editing apps like vue(for example).

Upgrade your cpu if you want to utilise your newer card to the fullest. GO FOR AN AMD BASED ATHLON 2 X4 imo.

As of now,I have no plans of upgrading my cpu or motherboard.It seems the GTS 450 is really affordable;many vendors are currently offering cards based on this chipset-can u recommend some that are reliable and provide at-least 3yrs warranty on their cards?Does XFX manufacture GTS 450 graphics cards ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
HD5770 or GTS450. or even HD5750. pick whichever you like but please change that PSU. it won't last long with these power hungry GPU sucking power from it.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Try MSI N450GTS M2D1GD5 @ 6.8k. Great card with 3 years of warranty.

Thanks to all of you for your valuable suggestions.How about Asus and Zotac?They too manufacture graphics cards based on this chipset-can someone tell me their prices?Will they be costlier than the MSI card?

Piyush

Lanaya
5770 all the way
and yes ....ur PSU may pose a risk to ur other components

so its better to be safe than sorry

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Ok Guys,i enquired about the MSI N450GTS M2D1GD5 at a few shops in and around G.C. Avenue in Kolkata,like Vedant Computers but was really disappointed because this particular card was not available anywhere.The shopkeeper at one of these shops offered me a Palit geforce GTS 450 1GB that was priced at Rs 6600.But i did not purchase it because I have heard that GPUs manufactured by Palit are unreliable and tend to malfunction frequently-is it true?Will investing in a palit graphics card be a risky affair?Also,please recommend some alternate brands for the Geforce gts 450 that are easily available and cost within 8k.

Can someone tell me where the MSI N450GTS M2D1GD5 may be curently available at Chandni Market in kolkata?

Also,I'd be glad if someone could mention the exact price of the XFX ATI Radeon HD5770 1 GB.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
The shopkeeper at one of these shops offered me a Palit geforce GTS 450 1GB that was priced at Rs 6600.But i did not purchase it because I have heard that GPUs manufactured by Palit are unreliable and tend to malfunction frequently-is it true?Will investing in a palit graphics card be a risky affair?Also,please recommend some alternate brands for the Geforce gts 450 that are easily available and cost within 8k.

good decision. better stay away. it "may" overheat & will give you problem. better spend a few hundred more & get a card from some other brand. Zotac cards usually are cheap but good build quality. look out for it.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
good decision. better stay away. it "may" overheat & will give you problem. better spend a few hundred more & get a card from some other brand. Zotac cards usually are cheap but good build quality. look out for it.

I see.The Zotac geforce gts 450 1 GB is currently available for around Rs 7000-should i go for it? Can Zotac's products be considered reliable?Are they susceptible to overheating or other technical issues?

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Considerin your original Budget you should go for 5770...It's an Awesome card at that price...u will get it around 7.8-8.8k(all the versions)...THose who say that it's not very good for full HD here is my list..
GTA IV all settings on high...and view distance+draw distance on 70 - 48 FPS avg
Fallout New Vegas Ultra high settings - FPS 58 avg..
Crysis Warhead Gamer settings and 8xAA - FPS 24 avg
BFBC2 max settings - 42 FPS avg

I can go on and on here but you get the point...I game in 1920*1080 res...so for your res you can imagine what the performance will be like...
coz for a few bucks extra you will get a lot more performance...

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ keviv219

Buddy gts 450 is a steal at 6.6k. Its performance is in between a 5750 and 5770 and much closer to a 5770. Op has a 20 inch monitor with a native resolution of 1600x900. So no full hd and gts 450 is a superb option considering its price.

Gts 450 at full hd can also give around 20fps in crysis, just 3-4fps less than 5770.

Check this for battlefield bad company 2

neojjjk

Broken In
mate get a gts 450 1gb ..try a msi cyclone ..you will get physx ,cuda and very very stable nvidia drivers..also try to buy a new cpu ,mobo and ram

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^as if he can enable physx with gts450 for playable fps!!
vicky ji hd5770 is still better and more suited for higher resolutions. on lower ones he can turn on more settings!

Top Bottom