Recommendations needed for GPU purchase

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Once again,thanks to everyone of you for lending me your valuable advice and insightful recommendations.

@Keviv219:Thanks for posting such comprehensive information pertaining to the performance of radeon 5770 in graphically intense games like GTA 4.After reading it,I'm feeling quite eager to opt for this card.But the benchmark reports that I've read on the internet are all suggestive of the fact that the GTS 450 too,yields similar performance in most games at higher resolutions,albeit there may be a slight difference of about 5-6 FPS in case of certain games like crysis.Are u using any overclocked version of this card or the normal version?

@vickybat,neojjjk,Jaskanwar Singh:I have a predilection for nvidia's graphics cards because i have been using them for quite a long time and have not faced any significant reliability issues with any of them.So this situation has put me in a bit of a dilemma because on one hand,i am eager to buy the zotac gts 450 as it is not only inexpensive but is also a reasonably good performer for its price;however on the other hand,I have learnt recently that the XFX Radeon HD 5770 is currently available for around Rs 8000 and so i am feeling rather tempted to buy it-do u think it will be worthwhile?Or should i just stick to the GTS 450?

As i have never used any ATi graphics card till date,i have some questions about them:

1.Ati GPUs do not support PhysX-will this have any adverse effect on the graphics card's performance while trying to run titles that have been optimized for physX (such as mafia 2)?

2.Older ATI drivers used to be riddled with bugs and other issues which had a detrimental effect on the overall performance of their graphics cards.Are Ati's current drivers still prone to such issues or has the situation improved significantly now?Do ati gpus tend to overheat?

3.Are all games compatible with Ati gpus?Some games that I intend to play in future,like Batman:arkham city are likely to be heavily optimized for nvidia's graphics cards-will using an ati gpu to run them become a major disadvantage in those situations?

I'll be glad if someone kindly answers all of these questions.

Last edited:

Vivaldyd

Right off the assembly line
Аренда автомо

Компания "CRP" предлагает машины в аренду в Одессе. В нашем парке автомобилей представленны автомобили всех классов. От эконом до бизнесс-класса. Цены на прокат авто ниже чем в любом другом прокат города и опыт работы уже более 3х лет, позволяет сказать, что мы предусмотрели все пожелания наших клиентов.
Время оформления документов не более 15-20 минут. Вы гость нашего города? Мы подадим вам машинук вокзалу, аэропорту.
Наши контакты: (+38)0988777333; (+38)0638555333; (+38)0487952895
Прокат авто Одесса

Цены на прокат авто Одесса

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
@Keviv219:Thanks for posting such comprehensive information pertaining to the performance of radeon 5770 in graphically intense games like GTA 4.After reading it,I'm feeling quite eager to opt for this card.But the benchmark reports that I've read on the internet are all suggestive of the fact that the GTS 450 too,yields similar performance in most games at higher resolutions,albeit there may be a slight difference of about 5-6 FPS in case of certain games like crysis.Are u using any overclocked version of this card or the normal version?

I have overclocked the card a bit, BUT at stock it is still a lot better than 450...
If you take two cards, both with similar performance, than the Nvidia card will perform better in such games, but not if the ATI one is giving better performance sans physx...
The fps diff will always be 5-6 fps in succesive generations..the 6870 gives 5-7 fps better than my current card(after Oc'ing)..
you won't notice any major difference if your fps is around or more than 30...only below 20 you may not enjoy it..

1.Ati GPUs do not support PhysX-will this have any adverse effect on the graphics card's performance while trying to run titles that have been optimized for physX (such as mafia 2)?

If you take two cards, both with similar performance, than the Nvidia card will perform better in such games, but not if the ATI one is giving better performance sans physx...

2.Older ATI drivers used to be riddled with bugs and other issues which had a detrimental effect on the overall performance of their graphics cards.Are Ati's current drivers still prone to such issues or has the situation improved significantly now?Do ati gpus tend to overheat?

On the cooling front ATI has the best performance...the Nvidia series in general run quite hot whereas the ATI runs cooler...

3.Are all games compatible with Ati gpus?Some games that I intend to play in future,like Batman:arkham city are likely to be heavily optimized for nvidia's graphics cards-will using an ati gpu to run them become a major disadvantage in those situations?

I'll be glad if someone kindly answers all of these questions.

All games are compatible with both BUT some of the games are better optimized for one side, only to boost it's sales i guess,
and GOTY edition of Arkham Asyllum was optimized for both...so i don't think that Arkham city will be having the issue...

The performance of stock 5770 will ALWAYS be better than stock 450...physx won't do much..

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
ok thanks.I have a few more questions:

1.Does the latest version of the Ati catalyst control center allow the user to change the contrast,brightness,hue and saturation levels of the desktop to suit his requirements?If yes,kindly post a screenshot to demonstrate this feature.

2.Is it possible to change the brightness,contrast and saturation levels for video playback through the ati catalyst control center?If yes,please post a screenshot of this feature.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks for posting the screenshots,keviv219.But it seems,the option to adjust color saturation levels is missing from the desktop color settings of the catalyst control center.I mean,does the catalyst control center have any feature akin to the Digital vibrance control found in nvidia forceware drivers?Check out this screenshot :

*img204.imageshack.us/i/34645236.jpg/

I have discovered that older catalyst drivers included this feature in the form of "Avivo color correction" or something like that.Is there anything similar to it in the newer version of the catalyst control center that u are using?Check out this image for details.If yes,please post a screenshot to confirm it.Thanks.

*img6.imageshack.us/i/originalon.png/

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Dude it's there in the screen shot besides brightness in "BASIC COLOR"

Afraid not buddy.The option to adjust the saturation level is clearly visible in the screenshot of video color settings but it is missing from the first screenshot of desktop properties.

Top Bottom