[Views] Reason I avoid Lenovo

kbar1

Journeyman
Note: Story highly redacted and stripped of the fluff to comply with forum rules... :mrgreen:

I don't want to think back to those torturous times again, so quoting from the email I sent them:

My Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 laptop, bought in December 2010, had its motherboard replaced under warranty on 25 July 2011, even though the complaint was registered on 19 July. This was because the replacement board had a faulty bluetooth chip, and the service engineer had to put in another board.

On 25 July, someone else received the laptop on my behalf, so it was not possible to check the laptop before accepting it. Later on using it, I found out that it had display and fan issues. So, I registered another complaint on 6 August. I got it back on 8 August, with yet another board replacement. The display issue was gone, but the fan issue remained. The engineer said he had replaced the fan, but still the fan running at 100% always. Since it wasn't overheating, only emitting excess noise, and because I needed the laptop badly for studies, I took it back.

Since then, I've found the noise unbearable, and other issues have cropped up (bluetooth indicator light). So I gave it back on 23 September. I haven't got it back since. They say it could take till first week of November, because of part shortages.

I'm very frustrated, and didn't have access to my computer for almost a month now. I'm very disappointed in the way Lenovo treats its customers. No part for such a high-end entertainment laptop? That's outrageous. I did not pay Rs. 55,000 to get this kind of delays. I should point out that had Lenovo sent in proper replacements the first time, all this could've been avoided.

The warranty expires on December 2011, and I have no intention to continue this business of running back and forth from the Lenovo service center. I am a computer science student, and can't afford to have the laptop away from me for such long periods. I therefore demand a FULL REFUND. I am uneasy to continue using a Lenovo product, having seen the kind of after-sales support offered. If Lenovo refuses to come into agreement, I will be forced to take this issue up to a consumer court.

They rejected my request (took months to come to that too). I sent it again to a different person. No luck. Then they told me to send the laptop to Bengaluru. That guy promised me he'd fix everything. But no, when I got it back, it was square one all over again. Then, when I had almost lost all hope, I tried one last time. What did I have to lose, apart from any semblance of respect for Lenovo? I contacted the dealer and managed to get him to forward my complaint to "higher authorities" at Lenovo. Finally, after a month of anxiety, I got a full refund.

Now going to buy another one; please help me out here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/152695-help-deciding-laptop.html

Morals of the story:

1. Always, always have the SC reports with you.
2. Don't ever give up. Some people who had similar problems did just that and bought new machines...
3. The law is on your side (if you didn't do anything rash, like trying to repair it yourself).
4. Lenovo is supposed to be the 2nd largest manufacturer worldwide. Before buying, people recommended Lenovo (they still do). Yet this happened.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
This is the problem that people have with any notebook service centres- irrespective of the brand. Almost all service centres are outsourced to some agency. Agency don't usually care about the reputation of the company as long as the statistics of the service is on their side. Only thing to shake them is to file a complaint, that's when company will see what's happening (I know its unfortunate that at times such things needs to be done to make companies understand for a product that you paid with money). Consumer court is the best way to go. Unless people don't take this as a burden and go and file consumer complaint, things like this won't change.

utkarsh73

In the zone
Even I have the same laptop. I bought the Core i3 model for 51K in october 2010.
After using for 3 days, the laptop didn't boot while running on battery. I gave it to the dealer and got the laptop replaced in a week.
After using rigorously for a month, its display went off. Again I gave it to dealer and got it replaced. I asked the dealer about my data on hard disk and he was generous to get the hard disk of my new laptop replace by the hard disk of the old defected laptop.
The same problem happened 3 times again and every time I got my laptop replaced(retaining my old hard disk). But the 3rd time, the service centre sent me another report suggesting to get wiring of my home inspected as the same problem is happening again and again. Report stated that in all the 3 cases the display connection was burnt most probably due to a fault in earthing(But still they replaced the laptop).
Even though I could not understand how wiring has anything to do with the laptop display, I called an electrician to check the wiring. He told me there is serious problem in wiring and earthing as the house is very old(it was a rented house almost 20 years old).
I told the problem to the dealer and he immediately gave a five-plug-power-cord extension(free of charge, worth Rs. 500) and suggested to plug the charger in that extension to charge the laptop.
Its been more than an year now and no problem since then........:)

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman
^^ Lucky you. You have a good dealer, hang on to him... ;-)

Makes me wonder if I walked into the showroom at the wrong moment...

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Woot ! kbar and mine stories are exactly same with same laptops and have run around 6-7 times for repairing problems like Hinge, screen, mobo.

I guess the Y ( ideapad ) series are pathetic just like their brand. btw, did you had to purchase any protection package to cover the hardware damage ?

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman
^^ did you get a refund?

And no, everything was covered by the 1yr on site warranty which came with the purchase. They also promised to extend it by 6 months, but now the point is moot.

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
This was never happened with me and many people who are using same lenovo laptop in my frndz and relatives..

I had a 4yr extended services.. And would called them around 4-5 times.. Service was very good.. They just used to replace the damaged part without asking any question in front of your eyes.. whatever be the issue it took maximum 3 days to resolve..
i trust Lenovo atleast for their service.. I am completely satisfied.

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman
^^ all depends on the local service center... You got lucky mate... Or was I unlucky??

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman
At least they gave me a full refund.... I'm not buying lenovo again (for sanity reasons) till I move to another city... :D

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman
It looks like my dooms day have began. My Y560's wireless adapter is not working....:-(

Trust me, its better than my laptop whining all the time as if I were living in the middle of the Sahara desert... :-D

If you have to take it to the service center, and they try to charge you obscene amounts, then simply buy a USB WiFi and Bluetooth adapter... :wink:

utkarsh73

In the zone
I don't know how but it is working fine now:-o.
Earlier, some 9 months back ,same problem occured and I didn't used the laptop for 2 days and the problem was solved spontaneously.

Top Bottom