Rajeev Suri Appointed as Nokia's New CEO

rish1

Cyborg Agent
In an announcement made earlier today, Nokia announced its next CEO. The erstwhile smartphone manufacturer has named its former networking head, Rajeev Suri as its new chief executive.

“As Nokia opens this new chapter, the Nokia Board and I are confident that Rajeev is the right person to lead the company forward,” said Risto Siilasmaa, Chairman of the Nokia Board of Directors. “He has a proven ability to create strategic clarity, drive innovation and growth, ensure disciplined execution, and deliver results. We believe that his passion for technology will help ensure that Nokia continues to deliver innovations that have a positive impact on people’s lives.”

As Rajeev takes over on 1st May, he will be responsible for restructuring the entire business including a 5 billion Euro capital improvement program. This will include stock buybacks, dividend boost as well as debt reduction. Suri reaffirmed that the company is committed to its HERE Maps division and will continue investing in it alongside their network gear business. Nokia’s advanced technology business will also remain a critical part of the company and might make a play in sensors, radio technologies to strengthen their patent portfolio. Nokia expects to further license out these patents. Over time, the NSN name is expected to be phased out in favor of the Nokia brand.

Another Indian at top :) - he will be a 1000 times better than Mr.EFlop..

Hope he brings us Nokia + Android phones in 2016.. :D

Last edited:

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Yayyy. Time for indian press to beat trumpets and parade the vicarious thrill of victory.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Umm... isn't nokia now microsoft mobile ?

No .. Not at all.. Nokia has only sod their Devices division to microsoft( major part of nokia ).. and licenced patents to them..
Nokia is still the owner of all the patents and will transact Here maps and NSN ( 3g/4g/5g towers ) business after the sale

Nokia is a small company now but now it is fully independent..

they can't produce phones till 1st january 2016... After 2016 Nokia + Android Awesomeness :D

Microsoft Cannot use The name "NOKIA" on New phones produced so they will be rebranded to Lumia xxx or Microsoft Lumia XXX or something else but not Nokia lumia xxx

which means they will fail badly in India.. and with 5-7 billion $ .. Nokia can acquire any small company and start manufacturing phones in 2016 .. of course it's possible that nokia might not go there at all.. or licence/sell Nokia brand to another company.. but it would be stupid to sell/licence to another company and to have it loose all its glory as the other company will most likely ruin it..

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Another Indian at top :) - he will be a 1000 times better than Mr.EFlop..

:facepalm:

Not this again.

I can't understand why do Indians have such a mentality that Indians are superhumans or something?

Yes, this is good to know. But that's it.

I will repost one of Raaabo's facebook updates regarding this :

Raaabo said:
A Person of Indian Origin (PIO) is an Indian who was smart enough to get the hell out, so why do so many of us want to bask in the glory and be "proud" of the accomplishments of an individual who left India's problems behind?

Yes he WAS an Indian, no he's not going to suddenly say, "Free Lumias to all Indians, and half off on 8.1 and Office!" -- it's a business.

This "pride" you mistakenly feel will only be used to sell more products to you. Economics, pure and simple. Patriotism has no place in the boardrooms of publicly traded companies, allegiance is owed only to shareholders and quarterly reports.

Last edited:
OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent

Not this again.

I can't understand why do Indians have such a mentality that Indians are superhumans or something?

hahaha you completly misunderstood why I mentioned Indian ...

I mentioned it because , since he is an Indian where nokia had such a huge impact, and understands developing markets, he will see nokia as differently than your Canadian ex Mr.flop.. he would know the strength of nokia brand as a phone/mobile manufacturer and its potential possibilities..
thereby increasing the chances of making nokia comeback to phones in 2016.. as opposed to lets say if any American had been appointed
nokia was ruined because eflop was Canadian had there been a finland CEO or someone who understood Nokias strengths .. it would have survived today.. Indian is the next best thing after a finland guy and as nokia mentioned they wanted an outside guy..

do you expect him to give you free phones lol.. haha

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My point is that Indians take too much pride than necessary about Indians in top tier companies.

I am not questioning the capabilities of Mr. Rajeev Suri here, but there is honestly nothing too spectacular about him becoming a CEO. Also, its too early to say what changes he would actually bring about once he sets in.

Even though I feel nostalgic about Nokia, I am not certain that there would be much improvement in their current state since big brother M$ would be directing the company.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
secondly coming to your patriotism point I would like to counter it..
by saying that it is definately a good thing not because 1 should feel proud for the country ( which is non sensible ) .. it inspires young men like us to work hard at job and achieve the top positions of big global mnc .. , which till 10 years ago seemed like an impossible task..and I think this also increases the general perception in global countries of Indians as hard working and good leaders, effectively reducing any social bias/discrimination if any for us thus less resistance while promoting at jobs so good for us, ..

nadela , indra nooyi and suri worked for 20 years to become ceo , so who knows maybe when you go and work hard you might achive that top position in 10 years due to change of global perception.. I call this as an achievement and since their is no harm the more the merrier..

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
It was never an impossible task for Indians to get in to MNCs. All international companies are quite open in this regard and will promote anyone whom the board members believe has the required skills to accomplish the objectives of those companies, regardless of their nationality of origin, race or sexual orientation.

Social bias and discrimination only exists on Indian soil. If it were absent, we would have been a developed country by now. But, as more international companies come to India and enforce their work policies, the bias is reducing. I am glad about this.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
It was never an impossible task for Indians to get in to MNCs.
i am talking about Top Most positions like CEO .. getting in one is a different story and becoming the face of the company, with all responsibilities is another thing..

All international companies are quite open in this regard and will promote anyone whom the board members believe has the required skills to accomplish the objectives of those companies, regardless of their nationality of origin, race or sexual orientation.

but in order to reach a position where board members even starts seeing you you have to go through a lot of positions.. i am sure these guys must have been overlooked many times in favour of an american employee with same level of merit/skills ..
Social bias and discrimination only exists on Indian soil. If it were absent, we would have been a developed country by now. But, as more international companies come to India and enforce their work policies, the bias is reducing. I am glad about this.

you are looking from a point of view of these big companies coming to india , i am talking from a perspective where one goes out of india in their main headquarters and compete with the local natives of their home company

Nahh i don't believe it , ofcourse it is not to that extreme as it is india , but it exists everywhere to lesser degree or more, we cannot give the real answer , only those who have been discriminated can answer that better.. sometimes it is not even provable..

ofcourse the bias is reducing that is what i am saying , the general perception is improving and a part of the credit goes to these guys .. things starts to go wrong when we take it to extremes like
"wow i feel proud of India as a nation because xxx has achieved that" and News channels go crazy over them.. with full front pages of newspaper dedicated to them..

anyways good to have a discussion with you.. :)

snap

Lurker
We will be proud when a Indian creates a MNC not when some pio gets a job in some foreign company

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz

Not this again.

I totally agree with your first point. I don't see how one can be proud of such people, in fact I see them as cowards and deserters willing to serve the interests of a foreign agency rather than their own.

Now I don't know who this "Raabo" guy is but the line "A Person of Indian Origin (PIO) is an Indian who was smart enough to get the hell out," speaks volumes about him.

To such people I have only one thing to say, GTFO !.

I had a batchmate during my engineering days, didn't know him that well but have him on FB. Now this chap after finishing his graduation(that too with a lot of hiccoughs) went to some random college in the cough**sarcasm**GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD**sarcasm**cough i.e USA to get a masters.

Nowadays, Mr "PIO" who was "smart enough to get the hell out" spends his time criticizing and posting condescending comments on India and various related topics.

IMHO, such people should be awarded the status of "traitor" and should be treated accordingly.

To conclude, here is some food for thought

"ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY, NEITHER WILL INDIA BE"

Cheers!
Abhijit

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My previous post got messed up, so editing this from scratch.

I totally agree with your first point. I don't see how one can be proud of such people, in fact I see them as cowards and deserters willing to serve the interests of a foreign agency rather than their own.

Now I don't know who this "Raabo" guy is but the line "A Person of Indian Origin (PIO) is an Indian who was smart enough to get the hell out," speaks volumes about him.

I had a batchmate during my engineering days, didn't know him that well but have him on FB. Now this chap after finishing his graduation(that too with a lot of hiccoughs) went to some random college in the cough**sarcasm**GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD**sarcasm**cough i.e USA to get a masters.

Nowadays, Mr "PIO" who was "smart enough to get the hell out" spends his time criticizing and posting condescending comments on India and various related topics.

IMHO, such people should be awarded the status of "traitor" and should be treated accordingly.

Cheers!
Abhijit
[MENTION=1]Raaabo[/MENTION] is the Executive Editor of Digit and an Administrator in this forum. You might know him as Robert Sovereign-Smith.

I agree that it would take a whole lot longer for India to become developed, but under the current circumstances, policies and corruption, that dream might be way farther than we might imagine. Out politicians don't really want a developed country because it would be less profitable for them. How could they get a share out of the grants for feeding the poor or for other goverment schemes? Until such issues get resolved, I think we may never see a developed India.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

Cheers!
Abhijit

[MENTION=1]Raaabo[/MENTION] is quite right!! :mad:

One can't decide where he will be born. the person grabbed the opportunity to live in a better place which suited him. I used to be what people call as "patriotic" untill class 10th or so. Then I came across the courses offered (B. Tech level) in colleges in USA and colleges in India when i was preparing for AIEEE and IITJEE. then i researched some more and learned about their schooling system and whatnot. All this made me realise that India will never progress when such $hitty education, nay exam system prevails in India.

Moreover, the government will never let "aam admi" of India be educated enough.

PS: signing National Anthem when you go to watch movies like Captian America and 300: Rise Of An Empire (or any other hollywood movie in general) :facepalm: etc

Last edited:

Inceptionist

Journeyman
hahaha you completly misunderstood why I mentioned Indian ...

I mentioned it because , since he is an Indian where nokia had such a huge impact, and understands developing markets, he will see nokia as differently than your Canadian ex Mr.flop.. he would know the strength of nokia brand as a phone/mobile manufacturer and its potential possibilities..
thereby increasing the chances of making nokia comeback to phones in 2016.. as opposed to lets say if any American had been appointed
nokia was ruined because eflop was Canadian had there been a finland CEO or someone who understood Nokias strengths .. it would have survived today.. Indian is the next best thing after a finland guy and as nokia mentioned they wanted an outside guy..

do you expect him to give you free phones lol.. haha

He was raised mostly in Kuwait and has lived in 7 countries including India, Kuwait, Finland, UK, Nigeria, Germany and Singapore. (From Wikipedia)

I hardly think that he has experienced success of Nokia in India and the reasons behind it.

Cheers!
Abhijit

*replygif.net/i/586.gif

Superayush

Tech lover
Btw since it is not mentioned aldready he also graduated from manipal university like satya nadela Microsoft CEO so it's a nice smack to people who say only people from iit are successful and rest suck :,) #capableenggaspirant

Top Bottom