Rajeev Suri Appointed as Nokia's New CEO

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
He was raised mostly in Kuwait and has lived in 7 countries including India, Kuwait, Finland, UK, Nigeria, Germany and Singapore. (From Wikipedia)

I hardly think that he has experienced success of Nokia in India and the reasons behind it.

he graduated from manipal in 1989.. but that is not why i mentioned the point of him being an indian ..

I was reading an article the other day where he was in race with the CFO of becoming a CEO .. where they mentioned him that he was once the head of Sales in india and it was during Nokia's prime.. i can't seem to find that article myself since whatever i type now is returning all the results from past 8 hours..

That is why i thought this man would be good news of Nokia bringing back phones in 2016, being indian and heading indian operations he would understand indian market better..

If that isn't the case then i should really not get my hopes high as well .. then my bad in that case.. :banghead:
since in his recent past he has been the networking business guy .. so he might simply Licence Nokia Brand and make cash than create one if he cannot forsee the potential and doesn't understands the Indian market..

But since he has been a Nokia Insider for so long at least we can expect him to be true to Nokia.. not like the ex CEO . he is better anyday than Mr.EFLOP.. had they appointed him before elop things would have surely been different

And if anybody Comes and Says that having an Indian Head has no benefits look at sundar pichai , he brought us Nexus Devices in India which were never sold Before and people had to import through ebay.. he even brought the Kitkat contest to india which frankly would have never happened here.. look at nadela he is organizing a Developer contest program i think for indians, because he knows Programmers here are much more skilled, available in large numbers and available much cheaper , so benefit to the company by getting a product cheaply made .. it's not about Patriotism and all that crap .. its about recognizing India as a Technological Resource/Market/Venture which the companies can gain from cheap labor( compared to US guys) and get better services here..

had he been the head before we would have seen Xbox one being launched here along with playstation as well.. instead of such a long wait

Last edited:

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
:facepalm:

[MENTION=1]Raaabo[/MENTION] is quite right!! :mad:

One can't decide where he will be born. the person grabbed the opportunity to live in a better place which suited him. I used to be what people call as "patriotic" untill class 10th or so. Then I came across the courses offered (B. Tech level) in colleges in USA and colleges in India when i was preparing for AIEEE and IITJEE. then i researched some more and learned about their schooling system and whatnot. All this made me realise that India will never progress when such $hitty education, nay exam system prevails in India.

Moreover, the government will never let "aam admi" of India be educated enough.

PS: signing National Anthem when you go to watch movies like Captian America and 300: Rise Of An Empire (or any other hollywood movie in general) :facepalm: etc

Do you even know what the condition of USA was in the first 150-200 years of its existence as a sovereign country, ever heard of slavery,outlaws,Native Americans being massacred...?. Illiteracy and poverty was as rampant as rats in an underground sewer.But none of that reflects in their present condition.

With respect to all that we are doing brilliantly in just 67 years, I can bet you 1000 bucks that India is bound to become a world leader in the next 20-30 years whether you like it or not.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
The concept of country should become obsolete. Everyone should be able to live in whatever country he desires. And i totally agree that Smart people will leave a shithole like India unless due to family/monetary constraint.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
The concept of country should become obsolete. Everyone should be able to live in whatever country he desires. And i totally agree that Smart people will leave a shithole like India unless due to family/monetary constraint.

And who is going to make it obsolete ?, YOU ?.

If the concept of a country became obsolete, the national economies would merge and the would reach the same point everywhere.Therefore it would make no sense to move

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
he graduated from manipal in 1989.. but that is not why i mentioned the point of him being an indian ..

I was reading an article the other day where he was in race with the CFO of becoming a CEO .. where they mentioned him that he was once the head of Sales in india and it was during Nokia's prime.. i can't seem to find that article myself since whatever i type now is returning all the results from past 8 hours..

That is why i thought this man would be good news of Nokia bringing back phones in 2016, being indian and heading indian operations he would understand indian market better..

If that isn't the case then i should really not get my hopes high as well .. then my bad in that case.. :banghead:
since in his recent past he has been the networking business guy .. so he might simply Licence Nokia Brand and make cash than create one if he cannot forsee the potential and doesn't understands the Indian market..

But since he has been a Nokia Insider for so long at least we can expect him to be true to Nokia.. not like the ex CEO . he is better anyday than Mr.EFLOP.. had they appointed him before elop things would have surely been different

And if anybody Comes and Says that having an Indian Head has no benefits look at sundar pichai , he brought us Nexus Devices in India which were never sold Before and people had to import through ebay.. he even brought the Kitkat contest to india which frankly would have never happened here.. look at nadela he is organizing a Developer contest program i think for indians, because he knows Programmers here are much more skilled, available in large numbers and available much cheaper , so benefit to the company by getting a product cheaply made .. it's not about Patriotism and all that crap .. its about treating India as a Technological Market/Venture which the companies can gain from cheap labour( compared to US guys) and get better services here..

had he been the head before we would have seen Xbox one being launched here along with playstation as well.. instead of such a long wait

He could be very capable, but I would wait and see.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
And who is going to make it obsolete ?, YOU ?.

If the concept of a country became obsolete, the national economies would merge and the would reach the same point everywhere.Therefore it would make no sense to move

The concept of a nation with separate government and rules should become obsolete. The countries will remain retaining their own significance with their own cultures. Its a utopian dream ,i concede.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Do you even know what the condition of USA was in the first 150-200 years of its existence as a sovereign country, ever heard of slavery,outlaws,Native Americans being massacred...?. Illiteracy and poverty was as rampant as rats in an underground sewer.But none of that reflects in their present condition.

With respect to all that we are doing brilliantly in just 67 years, I can bet you 1000 bucks that India is bound to become a world leader in the next 20-30 years whether you like it or not.

Untill and unless there are billion rupees scams and 512 kbps speed is considered broadband, when *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/technolog...regulations-minimum-2g-3g-download-speed.html, when the government gives free laptops/tablets/etc to all instead of electricity, healthy living conditions, quality education; where people want to get higher marks instead of getting knowledge (rattu tota system), when space exploration is preferred instead of construction of proper roads which don't deteriorate within 1-2 years, where government is hell bent on sending India back to stone-age by introducing *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/random-news/182605-new-norms-may-make-electronics-costlier.html India can't become an Asian leader, let alone a world leader.

- - - Updated - - -

anyways, congrats to Mr. Rajeev Suri :|

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, what do you expect? Microsoft + Android = Fish + Milk, consuming it will give you a stomach disorder.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Social bias and discrimination only exists on Indian soil. If it were absent, we would have been a developed country by now. But, as more international companies come to India and enforce their work policies, the bias is reducing. I am glad about this.

+1 for this.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like Rajeev Suri won't be able to do anything much about Nokia's phone business since Nokia is giving away its whole mobile division to M$. Rajeev is charged with transitioning the company towards other areas.

Source : *www.theverge.com/2014/4/29/5663958...-again-as-it-offloads-troubled-phone-division

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Looks like Rajeev Suri won't be able to do anything much about Nokia's phone business since Nokia is giving away its whole mobile division to M$. Rajeev is charged with transitioning the company towards other areas.

Source : *www.theverge.com/2014/4/29/5663958...-again-as-it-offloads-troubled-phone-division

you didn't knew that previously ?
now read my previous replies you will understand better why i was rooting for him..

the thing is there is no restriction on them to not make smartphones after 1st jan 2016 ..
right now they are restricted after having sold their whole division to MS.. Ofourse his short term goal would be to get in a strong financial position and Hold Networking( NSN) and here maps as main drivers for the company.. i was talking from a long term perspective in my previous replies.. Nokia brand is still far too valuable after having this great and old legendary History in Mobiles .. that is why they did not sell it to Microsoft..

All the Patents and Brand "Nokia" in Smartphones is Owned by Nokia.. there will be only 2 options that they can take after 2016

1) Licence the Brand to Any other company and get licence payments ( this would provide good cash source but has a huge risk of diluting the brand value )

2) Buy any manufacturing concern in these 2 years with the cash they have got , design phones and launch in 2016 .

( Maybe who knows Windows phone fails badly and microsoft sells Nokia's division back to Nokia :lol: )

3) option is do nothing ( which i don't think they will take )

the 2nd option is a big gamble , which only a leader who understands and forsee's the potential can take.. It would have been much better had they hired a Finnish long term Nokia'n .. But since the company's future is in Networking ( NSN ) .. they hired Rajeev .. well we will have to wait for the answers now only time can tell.. as we fans would definitely like to see nokia taking 2nd option..

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
you didn't knew that previously ?
now read my previous replies you will understand better why i was rooting for him..

the thing is there is no restriction on them to not make smartphones after 1st jan 2016 ..
right now they are restricted after having sold their whole division to MS.. Ofourse his short term goal would be to get in a strong financial position and Hold Networking( NSN) and here maps as main drivers for the company.. i was talking from a long term perspective in my previous replies.. Nokia brand is still far too valuable after having this great and old legendary History in Mobiles .. that is why they did not sell it to Microsoft..

All the Patents and Brand "Nokia" in Smartphones is Owned by Nokia.. there will be only 2 options that they can take after 2016

1) Licence the Brand to Any other company and get licence payments ( this would provide good cash source but has a huge risk of diluting the brand value )

2) Buy any manufacturing concern in these 2 years with the cash they have got , design phones and launch in 2016 .

( Maybe who knows Windows phone fails badly and microsoft sells Nokia's division back to Nokia :lol: )

3) option is do nothing ( which i don't think they will take )

the 2nd option is a big gamble , which only a leader who understands and forsee's the potential can take.. It would have been much better had they hired a Finnish long term Nokia'n .. But since the company's future is in Networking ( NSN ) .. they hired Rajeev .. well we will have to wait for the answers now only time can tell.. as we fans would definitely like to see nokia taking 2nd option..

M$ won't sell Nokia's mobile division back to them under any circumstances. Because of their anti competitive nature, they would likely keep it than let someone else profit over it. For example, they acquired Rare (a company that used to make games for the Nintendo 64) but haven't released any game that they had rights to ever since. Rare now makes Kinect sports and other Kinect games.

Also, Microsoft has almost all of Nokia's design patents and will release phones under Nokia's brand name. Nokia now only has the option to get into other markets that have nothing to do with cellphones. They will move into infrastructure, which is more background in nature and will maintain an indirect presence from now on. I am sure that they can thrive here, since Nokia was actually losing money due to its mobile division, while its other divisions were still profitable.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
M$ won't sell Nokia's mobile division back to them under any circumstances. Because of their anti competitive nature, they would likely keep it than let someone else profit over it. For example, they acquired Rare (a company that used to make games for the Nintendo 64) but haven't released any game that they had rights to ever since. Rare now makes Kinect sports and other Kinect games.

lol that microsoft selling nokia division to nokia was joke bro..

Also, Microsoft has almost all of Nokia's design patents and will release phones under Nokia's brand name.

:shock: where did you get that information ?

Microsoft doesn't own any patents of Nokia.. they have licensed those from nokia.. out of 7.2 billion $ .. 2 billion $ are for Licencing of patents .. and this licence is also Non - Exclusive .. meaning if Nokia wanted to licence those patents to some other company they can do that

Microsoft has only bought "Lumia" , "Asha" brands from Nokia..
and they have Licensed "Nokia" Brand only for Feature phones for 10 years.. feature phones are those basic phones like Nokia 100 , 101 , etc...

But But they do not have Licence on "Nokia" Brand for New Smartphones .. only on existing smartphones

Meaning they can still use the name " Nokia Lumia 1020" , "Nokia Lumia 930 " which have already been produced..
But they won't be able to use Nokia branding on new upcoming phones..

So either they will be called Lumia xxx or Microsoft Lumia xxx or Surface Lumia xxx or something else but in anycase they cannot use name "Nokia Lumia xxx " on New phones..

Nokia now only has the option to get into other markets that have nothing to do with cellphones. They will move into infrastructure, which is more background in nature and will maintain an indirect presence from now on. I am sure that they can thrive here, since Nokia was actually losing money due to its mobile division, while its other divisions were still profitable.
wrong
Read what i have written and see how huge potential they have in mobiles in 2016.. but in order to make that reality there has to be someone at top who knows Nokia from inside out and sees the potential..

Now read my replies on previous page in context of what i have said and now they will make sense

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Microsoft acquired 8500 patents from Nokia, all of them involving cellphone manufacturing and design.

Source : *www.zdnet.com/microsoft-and-nokia-weave-an-entangled-patent-web-7000020245/

Microsoft has licensed about 30000 patents regarding infrastructure for 10 years.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Microsoft acquired 8500 patents from Nokia, all of them involving cellphone manufacturing and design.

Source : *www.zdnet.com/microsoft-and-nokia-weave-an-entangled-patent-web-7000020245/

Microsoft has licensed about 30000 patents regarding infrastructure for 10 years.

those 8500 patents are only design patents , though i admit i was not aware about that as these weren't mentioned in nokia microsoft deal terms what they published on their sites.. so +1 for the link

rest "utility" patents are licensed and owned by Nokia which are non exclusive and can be licensed to anybody else.. and its right for them to sell design patents since MS will be producing feature phones and own lumia brand so its still ok..

Nokia can come up with new design ..

the point still remains same nokia can come and make smartphones in 2016 and start their own business and microsoft does not get the branding rights for smartphones so they will definitely see decline in sales atleast in india..

He became CEO because no one in INDIA is gonna appoint him ! ..... no freaking opportunities. I curse myself to be born in this ********and ******* country.
I DO NOT LOVE INDIA I feel ashamed of telling some one(foreigner) about it. I m a traitor !!!!! ...
sorry for going off topic ..... just cant resist myself.

Top Bottom