Radeon HD 6850 Goes Fanless

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Powercolor has done the unthinkable. The world's first midrange gpu that is passively cooled.:shock:. Yeah, the powercolor scs3 6850 does not have a fan but a triple slot heatsink for cooling.

To achieve thermal limits, powercolor hasn't sacrificed performance which means
the scs3 6850 comes with standard 6850 clocks.

*i51.tinypic.com/idsjtl.jpg

*i51.tinypic.com/257m355.jpg

Read on for more info:

Source

Last edited:

doomgiver

Warframe
they are crazy!!!
what if we are raving lunatics who want to oc our gpu's by 30%??? thats a sure-fire way to make radioactive slag out of your rig

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Temps are too high on load. Much better with a fan though (Fanless? :p)
Price is high too.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
3 slot passive cooled midrange card that runs hot. whom are they targeting with this card? HTPC gamers with trunk size cabinets?

quote from TH:
Thus, it is our opinion that this card should not be operated in a silent PC enclosure without active cooling.

so, whats the use of going fanless if cabby have fans?

tkin

Back to school!!
Hmm, nice looking heater, now we can prepare food while we play, awesome.

Serious note: Absolutely not for Indian climate(except maybe extreme northern states).

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Hmm, nice looking heater, now we can prepare food while we play, awesome.

yup. its time to replace the ageing XFX Electric Stove Edition with MSI powercolor Microwave Grill Edition :grin:

Gigabyte, Sapphire. these 2 players have (HOT) HD*770 fanless cards. MSI powercolor jump ahead of them with the fastest (& HOTTEST) fanless card.

tkin

Back to school!!
yup. its time to replace the ageing XFX Electric Stove Edition with MSI Microwave Grill Edition :grin:

Gigabyte, Sapphire & Powercolor. these 3 players have (HOT) HD*770 fanless cards. MSI jump ahead of them with the fastest (& HOTTEST) fanless card.
You mean powercolor right? MSI has NO fanless 6850 afaik.... o_O

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
okay now what do manufacturers expect?? :shock:

Should people operate their PC inside refrigerator or @ antarctic??:evil::evil:

I say it is funny & stupid...:cool::grin::))

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
yup. its time to replace the ageing XFX Electric Stove Edition with MSI Microwave Grill Edition :grin:

Gigabyte, Sapphire & Powercolor. these 3 players have (HOT) HD*770 fanless cards. MSI jump ahead of them with the fastest (& HOTTEST) fanless card.

That's a powercolor card sam. MSI does not have any fanless design.

The heatsink of 6850 scs3 is actually topnotch but the lack of a fan takes away all the accolades that it deserves. Yeah the card gets extremely hot and that too in an open test bench.

But in a closed case with a good side intake fan, temps fall but still considered hot for a 6850 core. If powercolor would have added a fan along with the passive cooler, we could have had a winner.

But this card is meant to be this way and definitely not suited for indian conditions.

Cilus

laborare est orare
The price of the card is $215, which is again a lot higher than the standard HD 6850, retailing around $185-$200.
In this design only when an External fan has been added then it becomes the most silent and cool of all the cards tested in Tomshardware. So I don't think it is a wise buy.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still it's good to see some innovations, as long as newer GPUs are not coming. ;)

Also good to know is that these GPUs can actually withstand higher temps.

*media.bestofmicro.com/G/0/301248/original/a_temperatur_case_en.png

Mounting the card into a small cube case is first and foremost a question of whether it will fit at all. But even in such a small chassis the card benefits from airflow, however minimal, and doesn’t shut down or crash, even at simulated full load. The larger the case volume and the faster the airflow, the better this card is cooled, naturally.

Last edited:

doomgiver

Warframe
do one thing : add a fan as the TH guys have done. i mean, a straight 40 degree drop in temperature.... wtf were these guys smoking when they decided to forego the fan??? even a el cheapo one would have made this card a 'cooler master' (pun intended).

seriously, instead of busting a nut on increasing passive efficiency by over 9000%, they should have stuck on a nice fan and advertised it as the coolest running gpu in its category. would have turned more heads that way

Top Bottom