Journeyman
Hi everyone,

I have a few queries. I purchased my rig in March 2011 and have the flg config,

CPU: i7 2600k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme
GPU: Asus Gtx 580 DirectCu II
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2X4gb)
PSU: Corsair HX850
HDD: WD caviar black 1TB(X1), Seagate 1TB(X1)
CPU Cooler: Cooler master Hyper N620
Cabinet: Cooler Master HAF X
Monitor: Samsung PX2370

I have the flg queries:

1. Is my config still good enough to run all games till 1080p with all eye candy like dx11, tessellation, anti aliasing on?

2. Should I replace my gtx 580 with gtx 680 or instead go for GTX 580 SLi? wats the price of gtx 580?

3. Is my hx850 sufficient for gtx 580 sli?

4. should I replace my sandy bridge 2600k with ivy bridge 3770k? is it worth the replacement considering the performance difference? Will my maximus iv extreme support ivy bridge being a lga 1155 socket? BIOS update req?

5. Any other suggestions?

6. Wanna buy a SSD. which is the best? either a 128 or 256gb..

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
I can not be of much help to you but i can reply to you on your confusion over 2600K and 3770K. It will practically have no effect at all. Stick with 2600K it overclocks better and will give you same gaming experience if not better.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
1. Is my config still good enough to run all games till 1080p with all eye candy like dx11, tessellation, anti aliasing on?
Yes.

2. Should I replace my gtx 580 with gtx 680 or instead go for GTX 580 SLi? wats the price of gtx 580?
gtx580 is good enough. If you really want to change prefer single card setups.

3. Is my hx850 sufficient for gtx 580 sli?
Yes.

4. should I replace my sandy bridge 2600k with ivy bridge 3770k? is it worth the replacement considering the performance difference? Will my maximus iv extreme support ivy bridge being a lga 1155 socket? BIOS update req?
No need. 2600k is a great processor, stock or OCed.

5. Any other suggestions?
Cant think of anything else at the moment.

6. Wanna buy a SSD. which is the best? either a 128 or 256gb..
128 is a minimum and quite sufficient as well.

tkin

Back to school!!
GTX580 SLI will be faster than 680, plus newer 6xx cards have some issues, like crashing fps in borderlands 2 which has not yet been fixed, stick to 580, do a SLI if needed for now, then directly upgrade to 7xx, 6xx isn't big enough upgrade for a 580 user.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^ the question is whether its worth upgrading over 580 right now afterall 680s don't come cheap and according to me answer to this question is No. 580 is still good enough to run all the games at 1080p and I think he should wait for 7xx series. Upgrading to 7xx series might be worth upgrading but it's better to wait and watch than to do any future forecasting on that IMO.

Techguy

In the zone
Thats correct.. It is better to stick to your GTX 580 setup right now.. dont go for SLI or anything.. wait for the newer cards to come out.. (GK110 :-D ) and then think of upgrading...

As for the CPU, Ivy bridge wont be much faster than your Sandy Bridge.. which is ore than enough right now.. Wait for Haswell..

Broken In
Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: October 2012

Read the third para and see the chart. I would say there is no need for an upgrade.

OP
M

msaiashwin

Journeyman
Thanks guys for all ur replies.. So I guess I need not upgrade my systme for the time being..

Can u suggest me a good SSD?

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Get another GTX 580 within 17-19k and SLI them. They both really scale well. Check out OCZ Vertex 4 128GB or Crucual M4 128GB model as they both are decently priced and packs good performance.

Top Bottom