Package Contents: Data Cable & HDD
I forgot but i guess its a 3 year warranty
Software Included (on hdd no cd provided):
  1. Acrobat Reader;
  2. WD Diagnostic Tools;
  3. Google Toolbar, Picasa & Desktop Search;
  4. Quickguides
  5. Sync Softy
*img223.imageshack.us/img223/2686/dscn2333og7.jpg *img222.imageshack.us/img222/3090/dscn2337wz7.jpg

*img217.imageshack.us/img217/2238/dscn2340wx4.jpg

It is a plug-n-play

I plugged in the drive and it showed in my computer; i browsed through the folders and decided to install WD Diagnostic Tools and then decided to install the sync software which didnt exactly go smoothly then i had to google a little and then decided to go to Western Digital's site to find a solution and i did

The error i got was that "The Dynamic Library file libeay32.dll could not be found in the specified path" and the solution is pretty simple just download the zip archive from here and un-zip it in the home directory of the drive.

well now that this was done i was able to run WD's bundled sync software which i might add seems pretty good and will definitely help me a lot in taking up the backups and it allows u to make multiple profiles which really rocks .... screw u time capsule!!

heres a walk through of the sync software

The Welcome Screen:

*img141.imageshack.us/img141/8339/welcomeqx2.jpg

Create a New Profile:

*img228.imageshack.us/img228/6182/createprofilemj2.jpg

Sync Options:

*img141.imageshack.us/img141/5896/syncoptionsoz0.jpg

Select the folders to sync:

*img141.imageshack.us/img141/4174/selectfolderstosynccc5.jpg

Sync Done:

*img98.imageshack.us/img98/6745/syncdoneua5.jpg

Sync Window:

*img221.imageshack.us/img221/7200/syncedwindowrk4.th.jpg

Access Profile(s)/Profile Console:

*img221.imageshack.us/img221/2572/accessprofilesi6.jpg

PS: It seems worth it :p

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Nice Review :D

by the way, what is worth the software which is bundled for sync or the hardware device :p

The size does matter, but the question is up to some extend :( as just a quick calculaton, Rs. 2705/- (SATA-II 3.5") + Rs. 650/- (a good SATA casing) total Rs. 3350/- for 250 GB Backup, but bulky.... yup, u need to carry some ammount of data around so add Rs. 2500/- which includes a 2.5" sacing + 80 GB SATA HDD :)

Total Rs. 3350/- + Rs. 2500/- which makes Rs. 5850/- :) for a real portable pocket size 80 GB with a bulky large 250 GB storage :)

then again it is all about personal opinion :)

now on the review, I already said, :D nice review :D can we have some details about read write speed of the device :D

by the way, what is worth the software which is bundled for sync or the hardware device :p

The size does matter, but the question is up to some extend :( as just a quick calculaton, Rs. 2705/- (SATA-II 3.5") + Rs. 650/- (a good SATA casing) total Rs. 3350/- for 250 GB Backup, but bulky.... yup, u need to carry some ammount of data around so add Rs. 2500/- which includes a 2.5" sacing + 80 GB SATA HDD :)

Total Rs. 3350/- + Rs. 2500/- which makes Rs. 5850/- :) for a real portable pocket size 80 GB with a bulky large 250 GB storage :)

now on the review, I already said, :D nice review :D can we have some details about read write speed of the device :D
you could replace that 250 GB disc with a 320 GB disc to make the price closer to 7100.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
thank u

agreed but the size and weight of these drives is just too good to resist, its extremely light :D; i did think of going for a transcend laptop hdd casing+laptop hdds but found these to be very ir-resistible :D

is there any softy for benchmarking transfer speeds of usb drives?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
you could replace that 250 GB disc with a 320 GB disc to make the price closer to 7100.

though there are windows own syc toy and some free software is there :p me in search of any other good VFM tool (paid) to full fill that price :lol:

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@choto sir, i agree that a lapto hdd+casing is better money wise but i think the wd hdds pretty much make up for it by their size and weight, my friends are shocked wen they hold it and are like wtf! is this a hdd its so freakin small and light :D

@darky: i bought it from a shop nearby though i had checked the price and came to know that it would cost ~7k +/- something but wasnt available elsewhere and i needed urgently, so didnt think too much and went for it

i bought it i think a day or 2 before writing the review, the beginning of feb and the price reduction i think is coz of the availability of 320gb which wasnt anywhere wen i went scouting

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Nice review.......and people advocating casings should remember that the passport derives its power supply from the usb port, so no extra adapter to carry

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
can we have some details about read write speed of the device :D

Quoting from my review of the same drive which I posted here

To gauge its performance I copied a 2GB file to the passport and it took 105 seconds to copy the file giving an average write speed of 20MB/s which is very good considering that it is a 5400rpm drive and works on USB 2.0. I formatted the drive with NTFS partition and repeated the same test again and got an average write speed of 22MB/s an improvement of 10%!

@iMav
Even after price reduction you got it 350 bucks costlier than what I bought it for 3 months back :p

acewin

Point Blanc
OMG, real good work for the thread creator, I was thinking to buy this external HDD think its around 6K in Bangalore from SP Road. Right now reading whole review work you have done iMav

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
thank u :), iv been using this drive and love it iv plugged it into God knowns how many comps and no issues at all ... smooth data transfer fast respnse im happy :)

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
u still want em?? k downloading some stuff now will note down the time and speeds when i transfer it and let u know

btw here is something i found: *mugenb16.deviantart.com/art/Western-Digital-Passport-Icon-66859434

acewin

Point Blanc
I came back to boards here, just check back things, sorry guys I forgot to inform, I bought WD Elements 160GB in 3800 for my friend last week, I see it doesnt has any software included, on hard drive. But its damn light, I was really awed.
And just an update 250 GB WD Passport costs when I checked last week was 5600+4% VAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom