Questions about Rooting & Installing Custom Roms

Skyrim

Broken In
Hello every1...i bought Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 few days back ..it came with Gingerbread 2.3.6 & i upgraded it to ICS through kies...

Now i want to root my device & try some custom roms ..i read this thread already by Sam *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/151345-faq-rooting-custom-recovery-custom-rom-android-glossary.html

I know that it will void my warranty & can brick my phone..but i want to try those roms..
so can any1 tell me i should root & install those roms or not?

Vignesh B

Youngling
If you want more out of your GS2 root it & install custom ROMs.
Usually you can always unroot it, install the stock Rom, reset the counter using a jig, thus you will be able to avail warranty.
Furthermore since ICS allows dual boot you can use both Samsung's stock ROM & a custom ROM of your choice. :)

OP
S

Skyrim

Broken In
i just rooted my phone using an insecure kernal with odin..

If you want more out of your GS2 root it & install custom ROMs.
Usually you can always unroot it, install the stock Rom, reset the counter using a jig, thus you will be able to avail warranty.
Furthermore since ICS allows dual boot you can use both Samsung's stock ROM & a custom ROM of your choice. :)

if i revert back to stock ICS/Gingerbread rom will i get back my warranty? i just have to reset the binary counter after install stock ICS/Gingerbread?

Vignesh B

Youngling
i just rooted my phone using an insecure kernal with odin..

if i revert back to stock ICS/Gingerbread rom will i get back my warranty? i just have to reset the binary counter after install stock ICS/Gingerbread?

Yes, as already answered by @red dragon.
Which kernel are you using now?

OP
S

Skyrim

Broken In
i am using this now ""CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEN_LP7-v5.4-CWM5"" got it from XDa...dont know much about it..it is beginners kernel...

Vignesh B

Youngling
Ok.
There are just so many stickies in xda for S2, just go through each of them. You can learn a lot.
Any doubts you can always ask here, where there are so many android experts.
Hope you enjoy your experience with your new baby :p

OP
S

Skyrim

Broken In
i found this kenal on XDA..." SiyahKernel " should i use this with any 2.3.6 custom rom??..case its only Supports Gingerbread till now..

Vignesh B

Youngling
It is the arguably the most tweakable & most compatible kernel.
Its latest version is v3.3.2 which supports ICS.
You can't use any ROM with any Kernel. Usually the kernel to be used is specified in the ROM thread.
Though as I said Siyah works with major ROMs like Samsung's stock, CM, MIUI,
See here

OP
S

Skyrim

Broken In
i am using this rom now ..i just installed this ..[ROM][LPF]FOXHOUND Revolver Ocelot|ICS|OTA|Performance|AROMA|31 May - xda-developers
it looks cool..i m using the bastian v3 with gingerbread...

i think i can use this kernel [KERNEL][ExTweaks] SiyahKernel v2.6.14 - "One kernel to rule them all" - xda-developers for this rom which i installed??

1 more thing i am getting 830mb ram on my SGS2

Vignesh B

Youngling
It should work fine. Take a titanium backup before proceeding.
May I ask why you are not using the ICS version of Foxhound? Also you can flash the latest version of Siyah.

OP
S

Skyrim

Broken In
i am gonna install the ICS version of foxhound ..[ROM][4.0.4][AROMA] FOXHOUND 0.2 Cyano+Aokp |Fast|Ota|Customizable [May 29] - xda-developers
But is it normal that i am getting 830 mb ram?

Vignesh B

Youngling
Then you need to flash the ICS compatible version of Siyah.
Yes, it is completely normal as the GPU also shares the RAM.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Yes, it should work. Take a backup.
Anyway confirm in that ROM's thread. I have found kernels to be not backward compatible. Like, suppose v3.0 supports a particular ROM, it is not necessary that v3.1 will support it.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Buddy, that'a a very difficult question. :p
It boils down to personal preference. Some offer excellent performance, but at the cost of battery and vice-versa. Some offer a balance.
If you want ''vanilla'' Android experience(what Google meant Android to be) look out for CM9(perhaps the most popular & most development) or MIUI(excellent customization options. Say it is a hybrid of IOs & Android :p)
If you want already customized offerings with a balance of performance & battery, look out for Villain ROM, Resurrection Remix, SensatioN ROM, Foxhound Otacon Edition, CheckROM, OMEGA etc etc. There are many more excellent ROMs which I have not listed. Just give them all a try & decide what is best for you. :p

OP
S

Skyrim

Broken In
Buddy, that'a a very difficult question. :p
It boils down to personal preference. Some offer excellent performance, but at the cost of battery and vice-versa. Some offer a balance.
If you want ''vanilla'' Android experience(what Google meant Android to be) look out for CM9(perhaps the most popular & most development) or MIUI(excellent customization options. Say it is a hybrid of IOs & Android :p)
If you want already customized offerings with a balance of performance & battery, look out for Villain ROM, Resurrection Remix, SensatioN ROM, Foxhound Otacon Edition, CheckROM, OMEGA etc etc. There are many more excellent ROMs which I have not listed. Just give them all a try & decide what is best for you. :p

yeap..i am trying one by one:p

Top Bottom