Queries regarding Ubuntu 8.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I was a SUSE man till now but SUSE 11 turned out to be a P.I.T.A for me so jumped to the "yellower" pastures of Ubuntu. Installed it last night and already loving it even more than Windows. This is the "Linux Effect" :D Once u go Black u never go back ;)
Man Network setup was even easier than XP. I'm even making this post from Ubuntu itself. No troubles even while accessing my NTFS Window partitions. No need of that NTFS -3g package to mount them and access them like in SUSE.
Now I want to know a few things about it:
It was running in 1024x768 res and as soon as I changed it 1360x768, my screen's native res., it shifted to the left! How to adjust the screen? Can't do it from the screen's menu coz believe me when I say this, there is no option to do so. Tell me the where are the options to adjust screen's position, its not there where I changed the res.
Also i downloaded the ATi 8.12 drivers for Linux foe my HD4850 and I got a .run file. How to install these drivers?

Nobody knows the answer???

Last edited:

unni

In the zone
Also i downloaded the ATi 8.12 drivers for Linux foe my HD4850 and I got a .run file. How to install these drivers?
Po, welcome to the Ubuntu world :)

My nVidia drivers also come in a .run file. What I do is boot into console (the installer says that it has to be run from a console, ie, no KDE, Gnome etc.), and type "sudo ./nVidia.run". It installs the driver modules, reboot and everything is ready.

Last edited:

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
even in Windows when u change the screen res. the monitor display layout gets displaced. Adjust it with ur monitor menu buttons, not from inside OS.

vamsi360

Always confused
The screen shift also occurs in my desktop but when I change the resolution after some time or after some rebooting it gets right. Dont know the solution why it happens and how to correct it. I correct it by by my randeom fluke.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
present monitors can remember screen positions for different resolutions, after they r first set. even then sometimes it may get reset.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I installed my ATi drivers(8.11) on Open SUSE 11 and after a reboot, I wasn't able to get into GUI mode as my screen always showed "No Signal" message. Ctrl+Alt+F1 allowed me to work through text terminals but other issues like of sound and LAN drivers were getting on my nerves so I jumped the friggin' OS. Now I don't want to do the same with Ubuntu. Moreover the drivers this time is 8.12
My screen is a LCD TV so no buttons on the screen to adjust the shifting issue, hence need a way to correct it from the OS itself.
Hey, this is what I did, now tell me is it all OK or did I do something wrong, again?
Code:
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:~$ pwd
/home/rudra
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:~$ ls
ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run  Pictures
Desktop                                   Public
Documents                                 realtek-linux-audiopack-5.01.tar.bz2
Examples                                  Templates
Music                                     Videos
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:~$ sh ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run 
Created directory fglrx-install.Bh7930
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.561............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
==================================================
 ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 
Detected configuration:
Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
X Server: X.Org 7.4 
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.Bh7930
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:~$ aticonfig
The program 'aticonfig' can be found in the following packages:
 * xorg-driver-fglrx
 * xorg-driver-fglrx-envy
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
bash: aticonfig: command not found
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:~$ aticonfig --initial
 * xorg-driver-fglrx
 * xorg-driver-fglrx-envy
bash: aticonfig: command not found
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:~$ aticonfig --initial -f
 * xorg-driver-fglrx
 * xorg-driver-fglrx-envy

Last edited:
OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Dude, its a LCD TV, only button it has is of Power, Volume,Channel and Menu. Thing is that to be able to change it manually from screen, the screen must detect the input as PC input which it does not from day 1 so can't do anything from there.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
check in the synaptic package manager itself if there is a ATi driver specific for ubuntu, if then installing it will be better.

btw...even if u can't use the buttons of the LCD, then u can change this using ur ATi driver interface.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
There was a ATi specific package and I installed it successfully. It required a reboot and after doing so now the same thing has happened which happened with me in SUSE 11. Now the screen goes blank after booting giving No Signal error. it is giving so coz my screen is getting input which it doesn't supports. How can I make Ubuntu boot into the res. I want it to? My screen supports following res only 800x600,1024x768,1280x768,1360x768 all @60Hz Refresh rate. Please help soon dudes.

vamsi360

Always confused
I think thats not the problem with drivers and is a problem with screen alignment. If you use windows then it shows as Plug n Play monitor and if shown it shows Samsung Sync master too. Check this in linux too that solves the problem I think. The monitor type is just not able to detect the type of your LCD.
What's your LCD model number?

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Lemme tell u one thing more, when the Ubuntu boots, for a second the screen flashes and I'm able to catch a glimpse of the Ubuntu's boot screen complete with logo and progress bar but the very next moment No signal error pops up. My LCD TV is Samsung Bordeaux L26R7 HD Ready TV. Sachin suggested me to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but when I opened the file in vi through text mode, not numerical values were present in it, just some character data showing screen configured. How can I uninstall the Ati drivers or better yet, change the res to my liking? Is there no way to pass resolution as parameter during booting i.e. when we've to select between Ubuntu and Windows?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
After you execute the .run file, look for the aticonfig command (It must probably extract somewhere into the same directory). What you're doing is running a non-existent command. To run a local program (Not in binary paths) you HAVE to prefix ./ or use a sh command to run it, just like you did with your .run file.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Bole to? After I do sh ATi<crap>.run, I also did aticonfig --initial -f but it said it wasn't a valid command, what r u telling me to do?

User Name

In the zone
I am installing ubuntu 8.10 on f drive(using install inside windows option). It has about 9GB free out of 20GB. It has some other files too. Will all files on f drive viewable in XP after installing ubuntu? Also will prog. install on f drive in XP work or not?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Am asking you to locate a file (a program, rather) named aticonfig after you run the .run file and run it just like you ran the .run file.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Qwerty bhai, I repaired my X Server from Recovery mode to revert back to old status.
I did the sh ati<xyz>.run again and got this.
Code:
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:~$ sh ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run 
Created directory fglrx-install.F29254
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.561............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
 ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 
Detected configuration:
Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
X Server: X.Org 7.4 
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.F29254
Now u tell me where to search for aticonfig file as I searched the entire File system using Linux's built in search option but couldn't find one. :(

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Well I found the file but dunno how to run it as it is not running by that method, may be coz I've apt-get updating in background. Anyways check the screeny for the files I found and tell me how to change their permissions as simple chmod isn't working and moreover tell me how to run 'em?
*www.mediafire.com/?1km3ndclimd

OK, This is my second post and sorry for being a dumbfcuk, but managed to find the aticonfig file and read its options but when I tried to run it and this happened:
Code:
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:~$ cd /usr/bin
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:/usr/bin$ aticonfig --list-adapters
* 0. 01:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

* - Default adapter
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:/usr/bin$ aticonfig --initial
Uninitialised file found, configuring.
Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-0
aticonfig: Writing to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' failed. Bad file descriptor.
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:/usr/bin$ aticonfig --initial -f
Uninitialised file found, configuring.
Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-0
aticonfig: Writing to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' failed. Bad file descriptor.
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:/usr/bin$ aticonfig --resolution=1360x768
No layout section was found in the file: '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'.
Please run 'aticonfig --initial' first or modify your configurationfile manually and run aticonfig again.
aticonfig: parsing the command-line failed.
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:/usr/bin$
Now what to do?

This is my xorg.conf file Since aticonfig command isn't working, what can I change here?
Code:
rudra@rudra-testubuntu:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
Under Accessories, I'm getting ATI CCC but it doesn't runs and gives following error message:
*www.mediafire.com/?mbzglgitkil

What to do? :confused:

I installed the GPU drivers again through the instructions given ath their Wiki. Now my xorg.conf looks like this:
Code:
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
    Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    Option        "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option        "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Tell me what fields to change as again now I'm getting no signal error after booting.

Can anyone help me out on this matter? Where have all the brothers gone?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom