Qualcomm says eight-core processors are 'dumb'

Flash

Lost in speed
Eight-core mobile processors are “dumb,” as the consumer wants an experience that comes from more than just throwing cores together, a Qualcomm executive said, referring to new eight-core chips announced recently.

“You can’t take eight lawnmower engines, put them together and now claim you have an eight-cylinder Ferrari. It just doesn’t make sense,” the company’s senior vice president Anand Chandrasekher said, according to a transcript of his comments to Taiwan media provided on Friday.

Qualcomm focuses on giving consumers a good experience, which requires first good modems, next long battery life, and then an affordable price point, he added. Simply throwing cores together is the equivalent of throwing spaghetti against the wall, and seeing what sticks, he added.\

The comments follow a launch by rival MediaTek of its new octa-core chip that it claims will offer better performance over competing processors.

More on: Qualcomm says eight-core processors are 'dumb' | TechHive

So, we've seen Microsoft Vs Google, AMD Vs nVidia, Facebook Vs G+ and now on .. Qualcomm Vs mediatek :mrgreen:

ratul

█████████████████
i agree with him... And it's samsung who has started this "core-war".
Galaxy S: 1 Core
Galaxy S2: 2 Core
Galaxy S3: 4 Core
Galaxy S4: 8 Core
Galaxy S5: ?? Core

Per core performance increase: Pathetic
In my opinion, firstly make a single core mobile processor atleast competing a single core netbook (Xolo X900 with Intel Atom, anyone??), then increase cores accordingly..
But i think samsung isn't that good in chip production (sarcasm.. :evil:) to produce quality chips rather than just fooling people with increased cores numbers.. and these fools gives there money to these companies and proclaim: "oh, my mobile can compete with your i7 as mine have 8-cores.. " :yuck:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
what if intel can provide core i7 8 core processor at "affordable" rates? Will we just through the offer off the road? I dont think so.There are people who need those. More cores are always welcome and better increases the competition. Only thing mobile will be affected by its battery and price. Otherwise I dont agree with him. that is my personal opinion though.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Mediatek is both cost effective and can provide reasonable performance. Even Sony and Samsung is starting to use them its good for us .

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
:mrgreen:Yes those things may drop the price of mobile phones with quad core from top compnies like sony or LG :mrgreen:. Even Snapdragon will drop the price of Components to stay in competition IMO.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Qualcomm is just saying this cause they have not yet made a eight core themselves lol

When they do it will be like FASTEST MOBILE CPU EVER lol

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Actually, Mediatek is riding on the success of Android mobiles by local manufacturers, IMO.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
But why do I need 8 cores on a mobile phone? May be after a decade, but this is too soon. 4 is more than enough, in my opinion.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
But why do I need 8 cores on a mobile phone? May be after a decade, but this is too soon. 4 is more than enough, in my opinion.

do you even need 4 cores? intel mobile cpu(single core )with hyperthreading outperforms multi core cpus from other brands easily.more core increases the competitions consumers certainly get benefit from that like entry level market will see a huge bump.

randomuser111

Technomancer
That's a bit of a non sense IMO. All the 8 core CPUs that have come out so far are based on Big.LITTE architecture (1 of them being a fake OCta Core ) And more importantly, Snapdragon 800 quad core smokes both easily. So unless someone comes out with octa Cortex A15 chip, you can't really say Qualcomm is feeling jealous.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
i agree with him... And it's samsung who has started this "core-war".
Galaxy s: 1 core
galaxy s2: 2 core
galaxy s3: 4 core
galaxy s4: pseudo 8 core
galaxy s5: ?? Core

ftfy :)
At a very simple level, S4 basically has two processors slapped together in an SOC.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I agree with Qualcomm's comment...
the most primary thing in cpu architecture is how much fast is the synchronization between controllers & message bus...
if that is not proper then increasing cores wont matter...then there are other factors also speed,frequency etc

Top Bottom