Qualcomm says eight-core processors are 'dumb'

Techguy

In the zone
Eevn though 8x Cortex A7 may score well i benchmarks, apps are NOT optimized for 8 cores.. Sure many apps using the cores will be fine, but if you relly want to improve performance in an app, single threaded performance is more important....

Even a Quad Intel i7 can beat an AMD 8 core.. because the intel has much higher IPC..

A snapdragon 800 will be able to run better than the 8 core... also most of the time... only 1 or 2 cores will be active out of 8 like during idle... so the problem is those cores will have to work harder.. also turning on the other cores might not help

dude1

Journeyman
Sure they are dumb...untill they make one, then they are intelligent options....:lol:

gameranand

Living to Play
WellI agree with them. Companies should focus on overall performance at idle state rather than slapping more and more cores at user face.

bala_cpu

Broken In
What qualcom talking is total bullshit, if they don't have a cpu that supports big little architecture it doesn't mean it's dumb.
Arm has spent some decent time in R&D for big little architecture. And it's going to be the future of mobile soc.
It has so many advantages when compared to a traditional quad core cpu

bala_cpu

Broken In
But why do I need 8 cores on a mobile phone? May be after a decade, but this is too soon. 4 is more than enough, in my opinion.

No mobile will be designed to work with a full 8 core could unless it uses some lower end arm architecture, all 8 core devices that night the high end segment will feature big little architecture which essentially has a high end quad core cpu and a low end quad-core cpu. High end quad will be utilized only when you do some heavy lifting jobs, regular jobs like ams, phone calls will be handle by low end quad, resulting in enormous battery saving. The max power map of low end quad is below the waist line of minimum power of a high end quad ;-)