Quake Live: Play Quake III for FREE from your Browser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Link: *www.quakelive.com/

Wiki
Quake Live (formerly known as Quake Zero) is a first-person shooter video game project from id Software announced in 2007. Focusing on the multiplayer aspect of the game, it succeeds its predecessor Quake III Arena as a "major league" FPS eSports competition game

Quake Live will be released as a free version of Quake III: Gold[2] (Quake III and its expansion pack, Team Arena) available only through a web browser. Live will be backed financially by in-game advertising from IGA Worldwide.[3] Skill-based matchmaking will be powered by a "metagame engine" developed by GaimTheory.

In short, Quake Live IS Quake III. Only difference is that it's FREE and it plays off from browser!!! Just like any regular game in terms of gameplay.

I've been keeping eye on QuakeLive for sometime now and it's ready for beta. Looks like Id software has started giving away beta key. I received my key yesterday and had couple of matches.

Here is how it works: Once you sign up for Beta you wait for key. Once you have the key, you sign up and create an account. Then you have to download a browser (IE or FF, Windows only) plugin (about 6MB) and you are ready to go. The plugin does download local game files and automatically updates them once you are logged into your personal profile page. My current folder size is about 280MB. Personal profile page is the hub of everything: from stats to launch game or practice.

Gameplay is pretty smooth except few glitches like match ends before it starts. I own my 1st match in 5 seconds..lol. And very few people playing. I think it's because very few keys have been given away so far. But we can change it very soon :p

So, if you like SPEED, sign up for Quake Live and keep your fingers crossed for a key. Good luck!

Last edited:

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I got my keys too but haven't been able to play yet. I get to their homepage but can't login. It just takes for ever to load. Even after half an hour it doesn't move. I am on the 256Kbps connection. Is that why it doesn't run?

OP
amitava82

amitava82

MMO Addict
I think it's a known bug. I've seen such post at the QUakeLive forum but haven't gone through them since mine is working :p I suggest got check the forum. But first time when you are at home screen it starts downloading files. You should see a small progress bar.

OP
amitava82

amitava82

MMO Addict
haha there you go.. someone said it! I'm practicing the Rail gun. I upgraded my first gfx card from 8MB SIS 6326 to nVidia TNT2 32MB just to play Q3 in 2001.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom