Quad core for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvijaydev46

Broken In
If you are going to get CF 4870 or 4870X2 and the like from nvidia, a dual and quad core cpu will not make much of a difference because there is not going to be any processor bottleneck. a 3.5 ghz dual core cpu and 2.6 ghz quad will not mostly show any difference in FPS if you are going to use a card like 9600gt or 9800gt. Get a quad core CPU and overclock it to 3 ghz. That will suffice for any mid range GPU. The bonus is you can convert video files and compress files much faster with quad core cpu.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
^^dude, get facts right, aftr seeing nehalem benchies, I became sure that processor was the only thing holding beasts like the HD4870X2 back

dvijaydev46

Broken In
^^dude, get facts right, aftr seeing nehalem benchies, I became sure that processor was the only thing holding beasts like the HD4870X2 back

Dude check what i said correctly. I've also mentioned a 3.5 ghz dual core cpu and 2.6 ghz quad will not mostly show any difference in FPS if you are going to use a card like 9600gt or 9800gt.

comp@ddict

Dude check what i said correctly. I've also mentioned a 3.5 ghz dual core cpu and 2.6 ghz quad will not mostly show any difference in FPS if you are going to use a card like 9600gt or 9800gt.

There again, these cards cannot be used for high end gfx and high resoultions, and below 1920x1200, the games are more CPU dependent, and a faster DualCore WINS HANDS ON

^^Thats because current gen games are Dual Core optimised. I repeat my previous statement:

Would you like to experience current stuff at full glory and notice lags in future, or experience current stuff with lesser glory but stay future proof ?

Anyway, today, the fastest Quad Core is much faster than the fastest dual core.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^Thats because current gen games are Dual Core optimised. I repeat my previous statement:

Would you like to experience current stuff at full glory and notice lags in future, or experience current stuff with lesser glory but stay future proof ?

Anyway, today, the fastest Quad Core is much faster than the fastest dual core.

+1.. and ya, a Q6600 coupled with HD4850 runs almost anything @max except Crysis and Warhead.... so its pretty much fine IMO. I also vote in the favour of Quads now.

+1.. and ya, a Q6600 coupled with HD4850 runs almost anything @max except Crysis and Warhead.... so its pretty much fine IMO. I also vote in the favour of Quads now.
And I suppose adding 2K for a good air cooler to push Q6600 to 3.2GHz or (better) Q8200 to 3.6GHz(must be able to go higher) to play crysis at max shouldn't hurt most wallets that badly.

^Just giving an example dude... I know its old. Q8200 is the minimum if u wanna buy a Quad today.

I have no queries wid that, jus think Q6600 is:
OLD
OUTDATED
NO LONGER "TOO" GOOD
Fully agree. Buying Q6600 instead of buying Q8200 is, IMO, similar to buying Athlon X2 4xxx+ series CPUs instead of Pentium Dual Core CPUs, taken from a pre 2008 context (because now situation is changing). Q6600 has higher clock and double cache compared to Q8200, but when it comes to max performance, its much much higher with a humble overclock.

dvijaydev46

Broken In
I think it's not the correct time to purchase a processor given the introduction of new processors in a few months. And especially when we get some surprising news from AMD. If we are going to spend like 10000 why not wait for a few more months so that Phenom II becomes mainstream? It looks like Deneb's not going to cost too much and there is certainly going to be further price cuts among the two vendors. So cheaper quad core will make it affordable and the result will be more adaptation and certainly in 6-8 months many software makers will optimise their products for multi cores.

comp@ddict

^^^^Absolutely, and especially when INTEL plans to launch E7500, Q9xxx and all with the Quad's having ONLY 65W TDP

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
i have down clock my C2D E6600 to 1.80 Ghz runs NFS:Undercover
1280 X 1024 with high setting in Vista Ultimate 64 bit its RUNS FINE.I can run any game in my rig very easily.So the people who have not enough knowledge about CPU so plz stop writing sh*t here now.I hate Aanand tech this man only write always on favour of INTEL if intel launched any garbage technology they promoted all bundle thing.take a case of penryn only 5% boost from C2D CPU only bcoz of Process Technology only intel do 1 thing very good is Marketing.I have long list oF these things.

For game u needed average CPU and powerful GPU for playing game on high setting.compromise with CPU but not with GPU

AMD is coming with new CPU range

1-Phenom II X4 900 series
8MB cache

2-Phenom II X4 800
6MB cache

3-Phenom II X3 700
7.5 Cache

4-Athlon X4 600
2Mb cache

AMD will introduce the 45nm quad-core Deneb processor at CES 2008 on January 8, 2009. These processors will be branded as Phenom II and the chips have a new naming scheme that looks suspiciously like the one Intel is using for its new Core i7 processors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.