PSU+GPU upgrade (in phases)

guru_urug

iGoogle
Im planning to upgrade my PSU and GPU in phases.
My current config is in my siggy. I have been wanting to get a good quality smps for months but my dad doesnt understand this and so I saved some cash (2.5k) for a decent SMPS. Will be buying this week.

My choices are:
primeabgb
fsp sagaII 500W :2450
corsair cx430 v2 :2200
Seasonic 400W SS-400-ES :2400

theitwares
fsp sagaII 500W :2300
corsair cx430 v2 :2200
SeaSonic S12II 430 430W : 2650

I want a good quality SMPS and was initially keen on the fsp, but still need your opinions. I will be adding a decent GPU later. I doubt Im gonna save enough for a hd6850 :p But thats my upper limit, so suggest accordingly. Mostly will go for the HD5770/6770 or 6790. I game @ 1440*900 and see no foreseeable monitor upgrade in the near future atleast. The GPU will be added after a month(end of december....or should I wait till southern islands??). Also is the HD5770/6770 a worthy upgrade over the 9800GT? And if I wait till southern islands is there a good chance I cud get the 6850 @ the current price of the 6770?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Among the choices, FSP SAGA II 500W from itwares is a good deal. Since you're planning for HD 6850 I think you should invest a little more and get the Tagan Stonerock TG500 80+ bronze PSU or Corsair CX 500 V2.

sunny4691

Fell Off the Asembly Line
As cilus suggested Tagan tg500 will be a very good choice, but from the choices you have given I will prefer Fsp saga 500w

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Thanks Cilus And sunny :)

I'll get the FSP Saga II 500W or the Tagan Stonerock 500W, will check the prices at Lamington road mostly this friday if time permits.

Pls answer this:
I game @ 1440*900 and see no foreseeable monitor upgrade in the near future atleast. The GPU will be added after a month(end of december....or should I wait till southern islands??). Also is the HD5770/6770 a worthy upgrade over the 9800GT? And if I wait till southern islands is there a good chance I cud get the 6850 @ the current price of the 6770?

EDIT

I was going through some earlier PSU related threads and came across this line by Sam
"if PSU = FSP Saga II, avoid all cabby with bottom mounted PSU"
Now I have a NZXT gamma and its got bottom mounted PSU. So what now? can someone tell me how long the ATX pin cables are?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
At 1440X900 resolution all the games can be played with good details by using HD 6770 and it is a worthy upgrade over 9800 GT. Even a HD 5670 performs almost equal to 9800 GT.
Now games are getting more demanding, take the example of Battlefiled 3. So I'll suggest you to go at least for a HD 6850. If you can, then wait for the 7000 series.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
IF you can wait a little longer for the gpu upgrade,i prefer you go for hd7xxx series they are taped out for launch in q1 of 2012..In December 2011 they are releasing the mobile parts of southern islands.
Other wise you can go for 6770/6790 whichever suits your budget for 1440*900 resolution.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Ok thanks again guys.. :) and what about the cable length of the fsp saga II? Will bottom mounting it in my Gamma cause a problem?

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
Hey guru_urug talk about similar situations :)) My dad said "game khelna chod do":)yeahright:) so that's why i am saving up more money for better components.

well in my case people suggested me to go for GS600 or Tagan Stonerock 600W where i also thought about FSP Saga II 500 . Believe me save up a little more and go for the ones in bold. Since i will be buying a GPU not before 2012 buying a high quality PSU would be a good choice since new GPUs would be requiring better PSUs. Rest is up to you.

sunny4691

Fell Off the Asembly Line
Ok thanks again guys.. :) and what about the cable length of the fsp saga II? Will bottom mounting it in my Gamma cause a problem?

Yes the cables of Fsp are indeed short, but I don't know whether it will be a problem fitting it in gamma. So you can get the tagan tg500, and also the seasonic 430 you listed will be a great choice.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I was going through some earlier PSU related threads and came across this line by Sam
"if PSU = FSP Saga II, avoid all cabby with bottom mounted PSU"
Now I have a NZXT gamma and its got bottom mounted PSU. So what now? can someone tell me how long the ATX pin cables are?

the problem is with the 400W unit. & most likely the 500W unit uses cable of same length. so avoid. i ended up buying an extension cable (300-350 bucks). and as Gamma & M59 are almost same model (same height), you'll need an extension. simply avoid FSP.

One can easily extend cables in case they are sorter than the required length.

useless expenditure & headache :-|

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^ Not exactly, cutting, adding extra cables are pretty easy afaik.

for u it maybe ok bu btw not recommend for a newbie if he gets something wrong then he will end up with a fried 4K tin ka dabba:lol:

BTW user of stonerock TG500-U37 cable lengths are pretty long
*farm7.static.flickr.com/6099/6311074020_7485e31cf5.jpg
Tagan by mithun_mrg, on Flickr

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Then he should opt for Tagan TG500(just to put aside the hassle of extending the wires etc.)

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
the problem is with the 400W unit. & most likely the 500W unit uses cable of same length. so avoid. i ended up buying an extension cable (300-350 bucks). and as Gamma & M59 are almost same model (same height), you'll need an extension. simply avoid FSP.

useless expenditure & headache :-|

^^ Not exactly, cutting, adding extra cables are pretty easy afaik.

for u it maybe ok bu btw not recommend for a newbie if he gets something wrong then he will end up with a fried 4K tin ka dabba:lol:

BTW user of stonerock TG500-U37 cable lengths are pretty long

^^ Then he should opt for Tagan TG500(just to put aside the hassle of extending the wires etc.)

That is not an easy method and you need plenty of converter cables for that.

Thanks guys for the helpful responses :grin:

Even my current smps 4pin ATX wire was falling short. Had to cut it and attach wires.. I did it cause it was a generic PSU and was cheap relatively. I dont want to do this with my new SMPS wires(maybe sleeved also) cause its gonna be my first branded and well-to-do PSU :lol: Also Im saving my own money for it. So I guess I'll up my budget to 3k and invest in the TAGAN Stonerock 500W :grin:

Also I sold my GPU today locally. Went for 3.5k :| . Guess thats a good amt for a 14 month old 9800GT. It was a low power(no 6 pin ext power pin reqd) Galaxy 9800GT 1GB model. And it served me well. I played a lot of games on that card :) Sigh...I kinda get attached to my hardware (good or bad) :lol:

So I'll get the PSU next week with the money I got off the GPU and some diwali, birthday, earned cash. Some more to come from a competition I won in cllge. Also I'll be getting more money later for conducting a Android workshop in JAN :p So I guess I'll save enough for a decent GPU till the time southern islands releases. Till then will have to use my IGP HD4200 :p (sabar ka phal meetha hota hai) Still its good coz I have my exams and vivas going on(till end of december). Also Sunday ko CAT ki exam hai..so wish me luck. I'll post pics when I get my unit. Ive decided on TAGAN Stonerock 500W. Good choice na?? :razz: I want to know if its gonna be worth it because I will be getting GPU of MAX HD6850's power range. Even cx430 v2 can handle it na? And southern islands should be more power efficient?

EDIT:
Need details on TAGAN's warranty period. Also Its not available on prime's,itwares website(mumbai shops only). Will have go to lamington road personally and inquire :( . Hopefully will get it there. Pls suggest me alternate PSU's upto 3k (Just in case)lesser the better. And if possible some expert on this forum can give me their mobile number via PM it would be great so that I can sms/call that person and ask in real-time when Im at lammington. (I dunno if forum rules allows this. Sorry if it doesnt)

Last edited:

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
its there at itdepot but the warranty mentioned is 1yr(not sure about it)
Theitdepot - Tagan TG500-U37 500W Power Supply
another good alternative(cable lengths r 550mm warranty 5Yrs)
Theitdepot - Seasonic 520W PowerSupply (S12II-520)
the tagan psu is powering up my 6850 without any problems

Cilus

laborare est orare
In most of the Online shops, Tagan PSUs are mentioned to have 1 Yrs of warranty but in M.D. Computers in Kolkata, I've asked specifically about it and they said it does carry 3 Yrs of warranty. So it is little confusing. Can anyone in this forum having Tagan PSU, confirm this?

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^i bought it from a local shop & they have no clue about warranty usually they give 1yr for every item can u confirm who is the official distributer off Tagan in india i have send a mail to ITWares asking for same lets wait for the reply

Top Bottom