PSU fan not working, How to fix ?

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
My PSU fan is not working since 2 months. Everytime I startup my computer I will have to rotate the fan a bit manually till it starts to rotate. Even when it is rotating, it is very slow. I have another fan but I dont know how to replace it.

Please Tell me how to replace the fan:-?

CA50

Cyborg Agent
@Skynaveen, Seems like the PSU has gone for a loss.

It is not advisable to use the PSU in this condition,
No fan == more PSU heat == blown PSU (may take some of your existing hardware with it as well)

Provide mode details on the PSU, if it is still under warranty then send it for RMA. You can also replace the fan with a high CFM fan.

Alternatively you can replace the whole PSU, if you are planing fro an upgrade

OP
Skynaveen

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
Budget is not much of a problem

Present config is

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 ghz
XFX Nvidia GT220
3gb ram ( 1gb ADATA 2gb something else) @667 mhz
160 gb HDD from samsung
Intel DG3PRI classic mobo

OP
Skynaveen

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
Well.... then please suggest another one .
Budget is no issue.

OR

tell me how to fix this one plz I have another working fan of the same size.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Most probably that fan in normal 80mm fan. Or, measure it by opening the PSU. (make sure PSU is out of warranty period). Replace that fan by some cheap fans available in the market which will cost you around 50/-

CA50

Cyborg Agent
@d6bmg,
LOL dude, anyways thanks for the info. :)

@Skynaveen,
Replace the old fan with a new one. try to get higher CFM fan, those are better.

OP
Skynaveen

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
Thanks guys.
I am going to try replacing the fan myself.
Will post if it works.
Otherwise if it blows up ......... Oh well you will have to wait till I get a new computer :)

saswat23

Human Spambot
So, why take chance here. Better get a new PSU instead. Get the FSP SAGA-II 500W for 2.1k or Seasonic S12II-430 for 2.6k or Corsair CX-500v2 for 3k.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
@Skynaveen, don't worry mate, it won't blow up simply.

Follow these steps :
- Disconnect the PSU from all the wirings, and remove the power cable as well
- Open it up, check the Fan and remove it
- Insert the new fan properly, Check the intake and exhaust side, the exhaust must be out of the PSU
- Next remove the power wires from the PSU PCB to the older fan can connect it to the new one, make sure that you maintain the polarity of the fans.
this can be done either by soldering, if you are not comfortable with that, then simply cut the wires and join it with the wires of the new fan.

Usually: red is positive +12V
black is ground

Top Bottom