psu buying advice

Piyush

Lanaya
^^what i heard was they gonna replace their VX series with GS series
but thats just the flying rumor

abirthedevil

In the zone
the vx series has been around for a few years so its no surprise its being discontinued, i havent been able to find any substantial review of the gs series but i guess people looking for vx like quality can look at seasonic

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
is there any harm in going for vx450 since its being discontinued?

and yes do you guys know any shops where i can sell my old pc.

Silverstone SST-ST50F-ES Power Supply

and please give your feedback on the above link. is this a good buy?

and do cables matter in a psu ,will there only be some psu that my mobo can accomodate?

thnks in advance
aby

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Hardware spec sheet/price update

at that price the PSU is just a steal - it has active PFC and 80 plus certification and this unit comes only at 2.9k! The Amp rating of +12V rail is pretty good 34A.

Here's a review : [Phoronix] SilverStone Strider Essential 500W Review

BTW, what gfx card you are planning to use with this anyway ?

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Hardware spec sheet/price update

Silverstone SST-ST50F-ES Power Supply

guys how is this psu ?
Silverstone is good from what I've heard.

But I think you were willing to extend around 4k in your thread. So, why not go for Seasonic S12II Bronze 520w? Compared to Silverstone SST-ST50F-ES, it has 40amps on the 12V rail.

Edit: Posts moved from the other thread. Keep your discussion restricted to one thread only. :)

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
@topgear maximum gpu would be 6870 and minimum 450gts or 550 most probably.

@ico but its not bad to save money na , hows primeabgb?

i just posted int the spec sheet thread to catch sorcerors attention, and lol you moved it here.

well anyway havent dne online shopping before so which sites will give me the least grand total after all charges applied.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it's for GTS 450/550 then it should do but for a HD6870 though it will handle the load I would suggest you to look else where - you can get what ico has suggested but if you have prob in finding that you can consider getting corasir VX550W - it has 41A on it's +12V rail.

BTW, post the complete HW details you are going to use with HD6870.

ankurmay1988

Broken In
Does Seasonic 520w come with an american power connector ? i heard that u basically need some converter to convert it to indian power 3 pin cable ? o_O

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
@topgear the system config is :

c2d e7500
asus p5qpl-am
adata 2gb ddr2 800mhz
seagate 250gb 7200.10

so you are saying if i get silverstone i should go for 450 gts coz 6870 will be too much for it?

and from where should i buy?

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
cant register at primeabgb. wasnt able to get the silverstone final price.
seasonic is costing 4300 and upward depending on shipping options.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@topgear the system config is :

c2d e7500
asus p5qpl-am
adata 2gb ddr2 800mhz
seagate 250gb 7200.10

so you are saying if i get silverstone i should go for 450 gts coz 6870 will be too much for it?

and from where should i buy?

then why is topgear suggesting elsewise? is 34A on 12v rail mediocre?

I thought you have a power hungry quad core cpu and a high end mobo with CM690 like cabby with many fans but as per your current config the PSU will do just fine with a HD6870.

BTW, 34A on +12V is a moderate rating but quality wise corsair VX series is more better and Silverstone is the OEM provider of corsair.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude that Silverstone PSU is of 500W....It'll easily handle 6870...and that too with ease!!
It is rated as 34A on the 12V rail. Same as VX450. And VX450 will just manage to handle HD 6870.

I feel this thread has stretched a lot.

Top Bottom