PSP slim and Lite - My Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

p!e

Broken In
^^

plz tell me how u updated from 3.90 m333 to 4.01 m33 ....

do u want to go to 4.01 m33 or directly to 5.00 m33???:confused:
i ll be pm ing u the necessary steps required to do update from the update file shortly.....;)

I hav PM ed u.;)

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
THanx pie for the pm..

yup i wanted to upgrade directly from 3.90 m333 to 5.00 m33 (and want to skip the 4.01 m33 step, if it was reqd.)

btw, pie, how do u LOCK ON to an enemy plane in ACE X ?? so as to shoot it down !! plz tell yaar..

Last edited:
OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Yaayy !!!
I completed Puzzle Quest, hehe it took one month and lot of small play sessions :D . Thanks to the music plugin i was able to listen to my fav music while playing that puzzle game.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^
Congo :D

btw, wats the game all about ?? (plz thoda 8-10 lin mein review likh ke bata yaar..)

also, are u still on 3.90 m333 ???? and any plans to upgrade or move onto a higher CFW ??
--------------------

@ pie: buddy plz reply to my query above abt ACE X.... waiting for ur reply...

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Puzzlequest (from wikipedia):

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Puzzle_quest_PSP.jpg/256px-Puzzle_quest_PSP.jpg

Puzzle Quest features an epic story, based in the Warlords game universe. Players assume the role of a character with various statistics such as combat ability, morale, and magical affinity. A character's predisposition toward individual attributes and spells is determined by the selection of one of four professions at the start of the game. During play, the player takes on quests as part of the main storyline, as well as accepting side quests in order to gain items, experience and gold. Gold can be used to buy equipment that offers bonuses in combat, or it can be used to build up a citadel that unlocks additional content and customization for the character.

*www.justadventure.com/reviews/PuzzleQuest/puzzlequest5.jpg

The game uses a simple map, and as players accept quests, new towns, cities, and other points of interest appear as available destinations. Each location is connected together by roads, and foes periodically appear between locations, blocking movement until they are defeated. Key quest locations are also marked on the map, and completing quests typically involves visiting such locations in order to defeat one or more opponents in one-on-one battles.

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9d/Puzzle_quest_360.jpg/180px-Puzzle_quest_360.jpg

Combat in the title is conducted entirely via turn-based puzzle action similar to Bejeweled or Zoo Keeper. The player and the computer-controlled opponent take turns swapping the position of two horizontally or vertically adjacent tiles on a grid to make a row or column of at least 3 like tiles (which is very easy to understand and is explained in a tutorial).

This is a very popular game and is available on practically every gaming console available PC,PS2,PS3,XBOX 360,Wii,DS,PSP and soon coming to iPhone.

Puzzle Quest was a giant surprise hit, received generally favorable reviews from the gaming community.[14] IGN stated that the PSP version of the game, "managed to combine the best aspects of both [puzzle and RPG] genres into one nice little package."

MTV Networks' GameTrailers awarded Puzzle Quest the title of "Best Puzzle/Parlor Game" of 2007. Future's Next Generation online ranked it as the 17th best game released in 2007. GameSpy awarded it "Best Xbox Live Arcade Game" of 2007.
------------------------------------

Yup i am still on 3.90 M33-3 and I see no reason to upgrade to 5.0. Until some game forces me to use the new firmware I have no plans to upgrade.

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Thanx, this game looks promising... will get it... :)

also, im happy tat u are on the same CFW as me..(3.90 m333)

Yup i am still on 3.90 M33-3 and I see no reason to upgrade to 5.0. Until some game forces me to use the new firmware I have no plans to upgrade.

Yup, even i hold the same view..
--------------

Cheers n e-peace...

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Anyone using any homebrew mp33 player for PSP? the default player sucks, i have heard of light mp3 player. Anybody tried that ?

p!e

Broken In
btw, pie, how do u LOCK ON to an enemy plane in ACE X ?? so as to shoot it down !! plz tell yaar..

hi ashu
sorry for replyin late ..........
was out of station yesterday so wasn't online ......

About ace x the target automatically locks on to enemy targets wen u r at a certain distance away from the enemy plane. there is a range of the missiles within which they can be fired to approximate thir targets.

Also wen an enemy plane is visible in your radar it is denoted simply by a green square.
Wen ur enemy is locked it is denoted by two squares red in colour in which one square is inscribed insidethe other.

Currently i hav completed 40% of ace x ...........
i have captured the Griswal capitol .:p
but the game goes harder and harder as u progress through the game.:(.

BTW new titles released ............3 new games for PSP:grin: :wink: :cool:
1. Spider man Web of Shadows
2. Midnight :LA remix
3. Star Oceans :***

will be tryin midnight La first
looks promising

I registered an account in PSN through my PSP. After the registration process, I logged in to the playstation store and I got the following message "The Playstation store is not available in the selected country or region "
*img75.imageshack.us/img75/2526/screen2iu8.th.png*img75.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

I had entered my country as India. Its not possible to change it now. Can someone try it with a different country entered while registration?

hi Shri
I think the PSN service will be shortly launched in india :).
At present it is launched only in JAPAN.

I wanted to ask which router do u use and which service provider.
Also how is net surfing on the Psp. I heard PSP is not G capable(Router):confused:.
PLZ reply soon I m thinking of purchasing one...........:)

Last edited:
OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
PSP Brite causing scanlines, Sony has no plans to fix.

*www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/10/psp-300-v-200.jpg
Though SCEA is still "looking into the problem," Sony's Japanese headquarters (SCEI) has released a statement describing the PSP-3000 (a.k.a. PSP Brite) scanline issues as being part and parcel of the new hardware. "PSP-3000 has a new LCD device with vastly improved picture quality, achieving a more natural and vivid picture than older models," said the statement (via Engadget Japan). "By improving LCD response time to reduce ghosting, the horizontal-line phenomenon becomes more visible."

Turns out, phenomenon means "no fix in sight." According to Sony, "Since this phenomenon is caused by hardware characteristics, there is no plan to fix it with system software update." We'll be interested to see if Sony of America (SCEA) has anything different to say.

Source

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
hi Shri
I think the PSN service will be shortly launched in india :).
At present it is launched only in JAPAN.

Also how is net surfing on the Psp. I heard PSP is not G capable(Router):confused:.

I can access the PSN service from US flawlessly.

The PSP is 802.11b (11 Mbps) capable.... no G support... All major routers currently available are b/g compatible so it shouldn't be a problem with PSP. However PSP Wifi doesn't support WPA2 ...... the max support is WPA/TKIP/WEP/AES .... in order to connect my PSP to my Linksys b/g capable router, I had to downgrade my network security settings to WPA/AES. Now it works flawlessly and the speed is awesome... :)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
hi ashu
sorry for replyin late ..........
was out of station yesterday so wasn't online ......

About ace x the target automatically locks on to enemy targets wen u r at a certain distance away from the enemy plane. there is a range of the missiles within which they can be fired to approximate thir targets.

Also wen an enemy plane is visible in your radar it is denoted simply by a green square.
Wen ur enemy is locked it is denoted by two squares red in colour in which one square is inscribed insidethe other.

Currently i hav completed 40% of ace x ...........
i have captured the Griswal capitol .:p
but the game goes harder and harder as u progress through the game.:(.

BTW new titles released ............3 new games for PSP:grin: :wink: :cool:
1. Spider man Web of Shadows
2. Midnight :LA remix
3. Star Oceans :***

will be tryin midnight La first
looks promising
Thanx buddy, one more thing, (as u said that, wen my plane is at sum said closer distance to the enemy plane, the LOCK on is automatic) so, then do i jus hv to worry abt :

1.) controlling/matching my pace with the enemy plane so tat i dont go out of distance and in turn lose my lock on ability, rite ??

2.) and then wat abt the aiming the missiles to the locked on target ?? any manuvering of my plane also needed ?? (left right, yaw and pitch) as and wen the enemy turns or dodges ?

sorry for these noob questions.. but really want u to explain the above 2 points.. :)

PSP Brite causing scanlines, Sony has no plans to fix.

Turns out, phenomenon means "no fix in sight." According to Sony, "Since this phenomenon is caused by hardware characteristics, there is no plan to fix it with system software update." We'll be interested to see if Sony of America (SCEA) has anything different to say.
THanx god, i purchased my PSP S&L b4 this version (brite) was out :D

also, do these horizontal scan lines appear while playing a game (say when the character is walking fast/slow ??
So currently u located in US ??
The PSP is 802.11b (11 Mbps) capable.... no G support... All major routers currently available are b/g compatible so it shouldn't be a problem with PSP. However PSP Wifi doesn't support WPA2 ...... the max support is WPA/TKIP/WEP/AES .... in order to connect my PSP to my Linksys b/g capable router, I had to downgrade my network security settings to WPA/AES. Now it works flawlessly and the speed is awesome... :)
Ok, well i hv a D-LINK ADSL router (modeL DSL 502T) for my MTNL broadband usage (a.k.a TRIBAND service) and its not wireless/wifi

1.) so, wich router to buy ?? (any tat u can recommend me) in D-link or any other brand.

(Hey Pie !! yaar, do u hv plans to buy a wifi/wireless router jus for using the PSP ??)

2.) After i hv purchased the wifi router, do i jus hv to plug it IN the cpu via the usb cord (if provided) and am i done ?? or do i hv to manually configure the router (after removing my wired D LINK router) ?
------------------------------------------

Cheers n e-peace...

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

The speed i get is horrible compared to what i get on PC on the same connection , what i am doing wrong here ? Any guesses.

shri

Always Fresh!
hi Shri

My router is Huawei WA1003A wireless modem.
Service provider is BSNL.

PSP is not 802.11g capable but only 802.11b is supported. Most modern routers support both b and g standards. (802.11a is almost dead now)

As for the security issues, I haven't enabled wireless security in both PSP and router. But I have linked my PSP's MAC address in Wireless Management settings of my router. Essentially what is does is it checks the MAC address of the device that is trying to access it and if that address is in the list of allowed addresses, gives access to that device. This according to me is the best way because you can control who can access your router.

The speed i get is horrible compared to what i get on PC on the same connection , what i am doing wrong here ? Any guesses.

Have you tried Opera mini 4.1 through PSPKVM on your PSP?
Its provides java environment to run .J2ME applications. The surfing speed is about 10 times better than that of PSP's default browser. But downloading files is cumbersome in Opera. For downloading use the default browser.

See these for more info:
1. *forums.pspspot.net/psp-help-tutorials/107-guide-how-use-opera-mini-your-psp-browser.html
2. *forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=142629
3. *www.consolespot.net/forums/general-psp-discussion/11335-opera-mini-psp-osk.html

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
THanx for the reply shri...

btw..can u reply to this..i hv a D-LINK ADSL router (modeL DSL 502T) for my MTNL broadband usage (a.k.a TRIBAND service) and its not wireless/wifi

1.) so, wich router to buy ?? (any tat u can recommend me) in D-link or any other brand.

2.) After i hv purchased the wifi router, do i jus hv to plug it IN the cpu via the usb cord (if provided) and am i done ?? or do i hv to manually configure the router (after removing my wired D LINK router) ?
------------------------------------------

also. PIE.. buddy plz reply my query related to ACE X in my above post.. :)
-----------------------------------------

Cheers n e-peace...

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
DAX has released the 5.0 m33-2 update with bugfixes

DOWNLOAD

Changes:

* Popcorn bug fixes
o Fixed bug that caused some games with certain icons not to work, and caused document.dat not to work.
o Fixed critical bug that caused continous corruption of psx games in RAM.
* Core bugfix: Fixed sctrlKernelSetInit* functions not working.
* M33 network update doesn't work in 5.00 M33, fixed.
* Added the posibility of loading version information from the file flash0:/vsh/etc/version.txt
o By default is disabled. If you enable it in recovery, you could for example dump 5.01 firmware, copy the version.txt from it to the flash, and bypass firmware check restrictions like those that may be in psn, etc.
o This will also fake official network update (not m33 one), and running the update eboot (again, not m33 ones).
* Plugins configuration file format changed. The new format is as follows:
o There is no more conf.bin file.
o Now each line in vsh.txt game.txt and pops.txt will have a 0 or a 1 at the end. 1 indicates that the plugin will be loaded, 0 (or anything else) that it won't be loaded.
o Entering in recovery in 5.00 M33-2 wil automatically convert the old format configuration to the new one (this may cause a delay first time you enter in plugins because of conversion).
* Added optins under advanced configuration that allow enable/disable of plugins in a certain configuration. By default they are enabled.

So currently u located in US ??

Ok, well i hv a D-LINK ADSL router (modeL DSL 502T) for my MTNL broadband usage (a.k.a TRIBAND service) and its not wireless/wifi

Yes, i am currently in US.

1) You can get any b/g compatible wireless router...Sorry in this case, but I exactly don't know what models of Wifi router are presently available in India so I cannot recommend you any specific model...but whatever model you buy, make sure it is atleast wireless-b capable if you intend to use it with PSP. Most mordern routers are both b/g capable. Also a/b/g and a/b/g/n capable routers are available, which are more expensive. Previous year back in India, I had a WA-3002-g1 ADSL modem at home which BSNL provided with their broadband connection and which had wireless but I had never used WiFi back in India.

2) If you are using ADSL broadband (for.e.g. BSNL), you have to get a ADSL compatible Modem with WiFi. You can directly connect the modem to your PC via the PC's network LAN card, and you have to configure the wireless access settings in your ADSL modem. For e.g. if you are a BSNL broadband user, you can configure your PPPOE settings in your ADSL modem itself.. provide the necessary username, password etc etc. Then you have to configure your WiFi access settings, the security and encryption details of the Wireless connection (PSP can access WPA, but not WPA2 so you change the security mode to WPA and encryption to AES) OR you can leave them unsecured although it that case anyone with a WiFi device can access your modem and connection if they are within the local range. That is all in a nutshell. Then you PC can access your modem wired and you can use Wifi compatible devices like the PSP wirelessly to access your broadband connection.

Actually the pathetic Netfront browser on the PSP is slow in itself. I use a 54 Mbps (11 Mbps wireless-b) wireless connection, so it doesn't seem as slow... BUT while using PSPTube, PSN, or even the M33 Online Update, I see that the downloads are uber fast.... (the entire 5.0 M33 update with the official EBOOT was downloaded in less than a minute).. but while downling thru the browser, the same thing would have taken anywhere near 3-4 minutes.

As Shri recommended, you can actually use Opera 4.1 mini with PSPKVM if you want good speeds while browsing.

Last edited:
OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Have you tried Opera mini 4.1 through PSPKVM on your PSP?
Its provides java environment to run .J2ME applications. The surfing speed is about 10 times better than that of PSP's default browser. But downloading files is cumbersome in Opera. For downloading use the default browser.

See these for more info:
1. *forums.pspspot.net/psp-help-tutorials/107-guide-how-use-opera-mini-your-psp-browser.html
2. *forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=142629
3. *www.consolespot.net/forums/general-psp-discussion/11335-opera-mini-psp-osk.html

Thx a lot , i will try that.

shri

Always Fresh!
THanx for the reply shri...

btw..can u reply to this..i hv a D-LINK ADSL router (modeL DSL 502T) for my MTNL broadband usage (a.k.a TRIBAND service) and its not wireless/wifi

1. Why don't you get your router exchanged? BSNL does it and hopefully MTNL would too. You wont have compatibility issues with MTNL this way.

2.rockthegod has answered this well. Its just that you enable wireless Access point (AP) and its done. Rest of the config is same as your current router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom