Protecting Files on External HDD??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipto

Right off the assembly line
I have a very basic and simple requirement and unable to find any good software or solution for the same:

How to protect files present on a external HDD or USB from "unwanted access" and "accidental deletion" or "mischievous modifications"??

Thanks all.

Cheers.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
get this ;-)

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

Main Features:

Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.

Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.

Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:

Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.

OP
T

tipto

Thanks for the response but too obvious answer.

TrueCrypt full fills only half of my requirement. After putting the password I can still delete a file.

I want to make files (each) read-only so that though I can use it but should not be able to delete/modify it.

Let me give you a real life scenario:
I have some old family photographs.. which I would like to show to relatives.. but want to ensure that while checking/viewing they do not move/delete them accidentally.

Cheers.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
For these kind of features you need to either use a third party hardware - mosstly based on pci/pci-e expansion cards or specialized mobo bios but they are expensive and meant to use with storage filled with mission crtical data.

For a normal home user there's not much solution is out there but you can try any of thebelow paid app - see which suits your needs best :

HDGUARD - Hard disk recovery, hdd protection and roll-back software (protect windows computer)
Windows Reboot & Restore Software for Public access PC's | Drive Vaccine

How to make my files write protected with Folder Protect? | Folder Protect

but all these works most of the time with only Fixed HDDs - the only easiest solution is to write those pics on CD/DVD and disc with your relatives - they won't be able to make any changes or delete anything ;-)

OP
T

tipto

thanks for the Folder Lock suggestion....this meets the requirements.

One more I found is: UNIVERSAL SHIELD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom