Proper Usage of Laptop Battery

sandip250382

Right off the assembly line
Friends, can you please share the proper way of charging and discharging laptop battery for best performance and longevity of the battery. I have seen lot of conflicting ideas on it .So,any advice will be great for me.

Thanks in advance.

.jRay.

Youngling
For battery life you have to charge it to 100% ofcourse, but for a better battery longitivety limit charge it to 60-80%, i use 60%, and don't overcharge it.

Hrishi

Used to happen with older-gen of batteries. New ones don't get affected too much by how you charge th'm.
Just insure that you don't heat those batteries anyhow. That's what worsens battery life dramatically.

When you are doing something CPU-Expensive , run the lappy only on AC power .

Gollum

Collector
For battery life you have to charge it to 100% ofcourse, but for a better battery longitivety limit charge it to 60-80%, i use 60%, and don't overcharge it.
+1 for the tip. the cirtuit inside a battery automatically stops charging after the battery has fully charged. so there is no issue of overcharging in Li-ion batteries. Overcharging a Li-Ion battery causes it to burst.
Used to happen with older-gen of batteries. New ones don't get affected too much by how you charge th'm.
Just insure that you don't heat those batteries anyhow. That's what worsens battery life dramatically.

When you are doing something CPU-Expensive , run the lappy only on AC power .

new gen batteries are lithium Ion batteries which have a death clock ticking all the time. limited charge cycles.
Average Lifespan is 1YR

If you have an AC power source, use it. Battery is not the best power source for the notebooks of these days, unless you use an ultrabook whose primary task is to be used without a charger.

My advice, use a power profile to set the max charge to 90% and then stop charging. [option not available in some notebooks]
always use ac power
never boot on battery power
never fully drain the battery.

Top Bottom