Problems, nothing but problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renny

Padawan
I've installed many distros till now but nothing has worked(hanging etc),

I tried Vector and Zenwalk but all apps just terminate and close randomly, Xfce keeps getting logged out,

What is the problem? Why is all this happening " :(

I dont know what to do,
If atleast one distro had worked I woulda stuck to it, so ppl dont think I just do this distro switching for timepass,

Plz help me, I really want to try linux but all these probs are really making me fedup and exhausted.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
When you log out next time, log back in and take the output of "dmesg | tail"

Looks to me your PC is dying rather than the distro's work. When my Prescott throws up heat alarms, the CPU auto handles it and throttles my processes down with a neat warning in the dmesg. It closes my applications sometimes or reduces framerates when in a game. Ain't the distro's fault now is it?

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Quite a possibility. Zenwalk used hang quite a bit a few days before my RAM died.
Thought i broke X , but turned out to be the RAM :D

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
PIII 700MHz, 256 MB SDRAM, Intel 810 Chipset, 15" CRT, AT keyboard, PS/2 Mouse :oops:

(Using i810 driver of Xorg),

In both Zenwalk and Vector, X would just logoff randomly, applications would just terminate at random, and even panels would suddenly dissapear,

I tried changing the colour depth to 16bit from 24bit, but it would screw up X completely, meaning all bizarre and random colour lines and patterns would appear on screen,

And sometimes the PC would completely hang and freeze(TOTALLY HANG). nothing would respond(Ctrl+Alt+Bkspace etc.), even if I try activating numlock etc it would'nt work, everything just totally hangs.

And if its a hardware problem how do I find out whats faulty.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
seriously dude! :D you should stick with zenwalk or some xfce or lesser de/wm's.nothing against,but Gnome or kde will crawl!

do one thing,run a memtest using a ubuntu livecd :) also post the o/p of dmesg

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Dude I'd really love to stick to a distro like Zenwalk :) ,

but how can I? Xfce terminates every few minutes, Apps terminate evey few seconds literally :cry: ,

I cant even change the colour depth dude, what can I do? I'm helpless!

I cant run anything, firefox, XMMS, gqview etc. keep closing and terminating,

Is there any good tool to detect bad sectors? And I'll memtest86+ and checkup.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Qwerty why do u keep being rude and sarcastic with me? :?

I just mentioned what errors I encounter,

So I have a reason to whine, and if u faced such probs u would also whine, or maybe ur such a maniac that u would be ecstatic.

praka123

left this forum longback
@Rahul:seems like a h/w problem to me.sure try memtest!

For the time being,forget gnome,kde and heavy DEs.
try fluxbox etcetra.

also,it will be helpful if u paste the dmesg .or attach ur dmesg output(/var/log/dmesg) to *rafb.net/

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Ya my PC cant handle such heavy stuff,

Will post the output of dmesg and run some HDD and RAM tests.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Qwerty why do u keep being rude and sarcastic with me? :?

I just mentioned what errors I encounter,

So I have a reason to whine, and if u faced such probs u would also whine, or maybe ur such a maniac that u would be ecstatic.
If I got problems I don't distro hop, I solve it cause essentially all linux distros are the same and no problem is unique to you and you alone. You just have to look at your dmesg and I even asked for the output of it at the start of the thread though I was also told it was futile to. You just don't respond. Fine, I won't bother you anymore, good luck. :)

P.s. And I've had far worse problems than yours. You're just whining cause your X ain't working properly or your processor's throttling or maybe your RAM's trashing, there's much more things that can go worse.

Last edited:
OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Cmon man why all this, we had some misunderstandings, lets put it behind us and move on :),

Let it not be personal, what more can I say,

I agree on one thing, I dont have the patience to solve a prob and stick to one distro, that I'll stop,

I'll post the output of dmesg tmrw as I'm busy with my studies, and give the results of memtest86+ and check whether my HDD has bad sectors,

Peace!

Last edited:
OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
I checked my HDD using HDD Regenerator, no bad sectors were found and my HDD is clean,

I ran memtest86+ and no errors were found in the RAM,

I'm unable to post the o/p of "dmesg | tail" bcos whenever I start the terminal X(or Xfce) crashes, I dont know how to copy the output of "dmesg | tail" from the failsafe terminal and virtual terminal(Ctrl+Alt+F2) :oops:.

praka123

left this forum longback
seems like initramfs image missing?can you post the /boot/grub/menu.lst here?
or if u use LILO,post /etc/lilo.conf :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom