1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with Ubuntu Live CD.

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by wweundertaker, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wweundertaker

wweundertaker New Member

Problem with Gnoppix Live CD.

I just aquired a Linux Live CD iso from a friend and copied it to my harddrive. It has the file name Gnome LiveCD_2.12_i386_en_5 . On opening it up with WinRAR I found out it was Ubuntu. I soon found out that it is Gnoppix version 2.12 .I used Nero to burn it as an image on a cd rom and booted via it. My Cd-Rom is set to boot first but the CD won't boot. Could you please give me instructions on how to create a bootable cd from the above in Nero 6 or Power ISO. Otherwise - I had read an article once on Digit to run Live Cd's without burning them. How can I go about this?
    I have Windows XP SP2 on NTFS with 2.66 GHZ processor, 512 MB DDR 400MHZ ram, 915 MSI motherboard using the onboard graphics plus an 80 GB hardrive and a DVD-Rewriter.
    Please reply at the earliest.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  2. mehulved

mehulved 18 Till I Die............

Start nero. -> open nero images -> in the file type drop down box select *.iso -> navigate to where the iso is located -> now select it and open -> burn the image.

3. vignesh

vignesh New Member

Gnome 2.12 livecd is based on Hoary.... Open Nero -> cd& Backup->burn image to disc

4. OP
    OP
    wweundertaker

wweundertaker New Member

hello,

Thanks both of you, but I couldn't get the CD to boot by both ways. I then installed PowerISO and then created a bootable CD. It runs great and I am happy with Linux. Could you suggest me how to install some new programs or games since it has become boring seeing the same old interface. I am on a Live CD.

Thanks.

5. mehulved

mehulved 18 Till I Die............

Well sorry you can't install anything on ubuntu live cd. For that you can get puppy linux and burn a multisession cd. Or try games Knoppix. Or you can even install some linux distro on your hard disk.

6. vignesh

vignesh New Member

Yes you can... But it won`t be persistent. (i.e) You have to do it everytime you boot. ..For example you can download beep-media-player from the ubuntu repository..I recommend download than using apt.

Then open a terminal and
    ce it has become boring seeing the same old interface. I am on a Live CD.
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb to install,replace * with the file name or this itself will work just fine....

I used to do this long time back when I used Ubuntu livecds...

7. Raiden Bee

Raiden Bee New Member

Anyway a live cd will load onto RAM or go directly from your CD- Drive....you cant install software directly to these

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.