Problem with Truecrypt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hi Guys!

I have some very very confidential date in my computer which I keep in encrypted format using Truecrypt. For testing purpose, I installed a key logger in my computer and then mounted my encrypted date using Truecrypt. After that I checked my key logger software and to my horror, I found that the password I typed was actually recorded by the key logger. This fails the purpose of encrypting the data as any key logger can steal my password.

I have used Bestcrypt before and it had a feature where in the typed password was also encrypted and so the key logger couldn't log the actual password.

Is there any such option in Truecrypt? What can I do that my password doesn't get recorded? I cant use a password header file. I need a normal encrypted file that can be mounted by typing the password.

Please help. Thank you.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Never used any of such software but now I need to use it, so just wondering why did u shift to Truecrypt when u were using bestcrypt, which one is better?

Can it crypt the whole partition or only folders & files?

OP
go4saket

go4saket

It can encrypt partitions as well as make containers where in you can keep your files and folders in encrypted format.

The main reason of shifting from Bestcrypt to Truecrypt is the portability of software. While you can carry Truecrypt in your Flash drive, you cannot do the same with Bestcrypt. So, incase if you want to take your date in encrypted format to any other computer, you have to make sure that that computer also contains Bestcrypt, which if using Truecrypt, you can easily carry the software in your pen drive.

Staggy

Right off the assembly line
It can encrypt partitions as well as make containers where in you can keep your files and folders in encrypted format.

The main reason of shifting from Bestcrypt to Truecrypt is the portability of software. While you can carry Truecrypt in your Flash drive, you cannot do the same with Bestcrypt. So, incase if you want to take your date in encrypted format to any other computer, you have to make sure that that computer also contains Bestcrypt, which if using Truecrypt, you can easily carry the software in your pen drive.

There is another good free encryption software - Rohos mini. And it's portable. You can take your encrypted data to another computer, and there is no need for software to be installed on that computer, thus you can open your data without having administrative rights.:idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom