problem with root login in mandriva

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarincv

Journeyman
I am using Mandriva 2007.................I cannot login as root...........when i tried to login an error message is displayed as " Root login not allowed ".........I can login as standard user.......please help me..........

OP
S

sarincv

Journeyman
Being a standard user,I couldnot delete files in Windows partition.....Also I have to configure permissions for accessing files........

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Sarincv, Don't login as root. That's a very bad practise!! It's also very dangerous.
Just login as a normal user in Mandriva Linux. Open the Terminal Window & type:

$ su -
(Enter root password)

Now you are logged in as root.

# cd <directory path>

To delete a file use the 'rm' command

# cd /mnt/win_d
# rm filename

Once your job is done logout as root,

# exit

WARNING : Use 'root' login with a lot of caution!! Deleting a System file used by the O.S can wreck havoc!!

mediator

Technomancer
@sarin : You don't have to mount windows partition again n again from root! Just give appropriate permissions in /etc/fstab and delete the files at will !

Post ur /etc/fstab output here!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
1) Open Mandriva Control Centre
2) Navigate to Mount Points
3) Go to create, delete and resize partitions
4) Click on 'toggle to expert mode' at the bottom
5) Select your windows partition
6) Click on Options on the left hand side
7) Check the two entries - user and umask=0
8) Click on OK and done
9) It will pop up the dialog box to save changes to /etc/fstab. Say yes.

OP
S

sarincv

Journeyman
okey,the problem is not solved yet.......i am now able to write files,but cannot delete some files....i am not able to set permissions by right clicking and changing permission properties........while doing so it shows"Access denied".......

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Sarincv, Open Mandriva Control Center. Here set the Security as Standard.
This should give you read/write access to the Windows partitions. I think you have set the
Security as either "Higher' or "paranoid", change it to 'Standard'. This will solve your problem!!

demoninside

In the zone
yes Root login is disable in default system,
for this you gotta enable this by
system control>login

in this you'll find one check box which says allow root to login,
then only u'll be able to login

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
root login is disabled for security reasons. There's a common tendancy with people to act stupid.

Well do the following for complete control for your username on windows partitions.

$su
<provide root password>

# find /path/to/win/partition -exec chown yourusername '{}' \;

This will set you as the file owner for all files and folders in windows partition, and you'll be able to write and delete files.

mehulved

Did you mess with any configuration. I can login as root without a problem and I didn't change anything. First follow what desertwind has said, if that doesn't help we'll see what is to be done then.

OP
S

sarincv

Journeyman
I think during installation, I set securuty as high........How can i change this without reinstalling? Also xmms player is not there in mandriva but it is there in suse 10.1 dvd.....can i install xmms from suse cd? Will the dependencies be satisfied?

mehulved

Yes XMMS player is there on the DVD and it can be installed along with dependancies from the DVD.
For security settings, go to System => Configuration => Configure your computer => Security => click on 'set the system security level and the periodic security audit' => set the security level in 'Basic Security' tab.
In the security tab then go to 'Fine tune the security permissions of the system' => click on 'Add a rule' => Select the windows partition eg. in my case it is /media/fat so in path I have given /media/fat/* to mark it for all files. In user give your username. In User tab below check read write and execute options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom