problem with boot menu

Aman bhati

Right off the assembly line
dear friends,
I have win. xp pro with service pack 2.my problem is that whenever i start my pc i get three booting options to boot from (1)windows xp pro.(2)windows xp pro.(3)windows xp pro.my real os is no.3.first and second option is not real.i want to get rid of number 1 and 2.friends i do not know how to solve this thing. please guide me thoroughly to solve this problem.thanks.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
theres a few method but i feel the easiest is to use a software named "Windows Xp Manager". its a trialware. theres option under one of the category to edit the boot sequence & all. you can delete the unnecessary boot options from there.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Two Ways:
1.Go to run and type msconfig then check if all of them are listed.if yes click check boot path and go on.
2.Right click my computer and click properties>>Advanced>>Startup and recovery setting>>see there will be os listed in order of what is in the boot menu.Click on edit and Delete the improper one and save.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
First of all go to folder option and select
#show hidden files and folders
#show system protected files and folders

Now go to c drive, there you will find a file by name "boot.ini"
Right click on the file>Properties>remove the real only attribute

Next open the file in notepad, it will look like this

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Just delete the first two entries
remember only the first two, don't edit anything else, next save the file and make it read only by: right click>properties

reboot your system

OP
A

Aman bhati

Right off the assembly line
dear friends thanks for ur valuable help but i am unable to find 'boot.ini' file. please tell me where it is located on drive c.i searched this file but i did not find this. please tell me.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
1.Right click my computer and click properties>>Advanced>>Startup and recovery setting>>see there will be os listed in order of what is in the boot menu.Click on edit and Delete the improper one as said by CA50 and save.
The file that opens by clicking on edit is the boot.ini file thus you need not find it as you are directly accessing it.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
dear friends thanks for ur valuable help but i am unable to find 'boot.ini' file. please tell me where it is located on drive c.i searched this file but i did not find this. please tell me.

to see the boot.ini file first you will have to select "show hidden files and folders" and "show system protected files" in the folder option.

You can also select "show file extension for know files types" same in the folder option

Top Bottom