problem while running games on xp

rohit18rs

Journeyman
Hi guys, I have a problem with my GPU and it has happened a few times already.

My GPU is a 9500 gt ddr3 1gb, and i am running Windows XP service pack 3 ..now what I find weird is that when I play any game like crysis 2 , mass effect 2 or any other etc..., they all pretty much run buttery smooth, but when after some time the fps cut in half. So I thought that it was probably just bugged, so I restarted the computer and everything ran fine again.

Then of course it happened again after sometime.. the games starts lagging after sometime .. I think its a problem related to gpu but not sure.. Please help guys.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Use GPU-Z to monitor the temperatures of your GPU, it shouldn't get heated more than 65C. else your GPU Vram might be the culprit.. Try to check the GPU with another computer, if the problem persists, RMA the GPU if its under warranty

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks to be a cpu overheating isue - use HWmonitor/ Hwinfo32 to monitor cpu/gpu/HDD temps and post those here.

OP
R

rohit18rs

Journeyman
i am adding pictures of tempreture at the time of starting the computer and 20 minutes after i started playing games

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
As every one said.. the problem is definitely with the heat. Also, proven by your snaps.

Re TIM your GPU. If possible arrange additional fans near it. Facilitating cool air intake and blowing hot air out. Thats the only solution.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ rohit18rs - your cpu and gpu both are overheating - according to the screenshot of speedfan 4.42 but speedfan sometimes show wrong temps and it's need to be properly calibrated before using so I would still recommend you to use HWmonitor / HWinfo to monitor temps and post soome screenshots of Hwmonitor/HWinfo here.

BTW, what's your PSU ( brand and model no. ) , Cabinet and how many fans are there and their positions , your gfx card has active cooling ( fan ) or passive and what's your cpu ?

OP
R

rohit18rs

Journeyman
guys, i am uploading the pictures of the tempreture from HWmonitor.. also please suggest me a good cooling unit... cabinet and fans..

i am currently running dual core 3.0 and gigabyte gzm 945 motherboard with 2 gb ram and 9500gt ddr3 1gb gpu..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
your processor & GPU both are running quite high. specially processor, it is running in red zone.

what is your current cabinet & fan setup? & what is your budget for the upgrade? for a basic idea, 2 intake fans & 1 out take fan will is sufficient for most provided the cabby have provision for installing fan in the right areas & can accommodate 120mm fans.

also i think its time to clean your PC.

OP
R

rohit18rs

Journeyman
thank you for ur suggestion guys.. Just one more thing that if i add a total of 3 fans to my cabiet.. how many should be for intake and how many for taking the air out..

OP
R

rohit18rs

Journeyman
ok guys i have added 1 exhaust and 2 intake fans of Cooler Master company today and the tempreture of both the cpu and gpu have dropped .. Just one last thing .. Is there any way by which i can add more cooling to the GPU.. can i add an extra fan to it or attach it to the gpu..if yes,, how... or is there any other way.

One more thing ... i would like to thank all u guys who helped me resolving this mess :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ no use. just clean the GPU periodically (once every 2 month) to keep the temperature down. also if you can, remove the heatsink & fan unit from the GPU & reapply TIM. adding a new cooling unit is not recommended on such an old GPU.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ another simple way is to get a cabinet with plenty of fan mounting options like cm elite 430 and load it with all the fans possible ;-)

Top Bottom