Problem regarding bittorrent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Hi all,

My friend has unlimited 256 KB/s internet connection.
The speed is also very good, but when he downloads torrent with the help of bittorrent or limewire, he says the speed never goes upto 30.
I mean it reaches 30, but never goes up. He says he thinks that there is some limitation in Windows XP , due to which it happens.
He noted this problem in many torrents.

Another problem, is, he is downloading something currently, it has 134 seeders but though he is getting speed of 1 kb or 0.2 kb.
I want to ask u all is this possible , or there is some fault in bittorrent or xp.

Also, is there any trick to increase download speed of bittorrent. I saw many tricks on internet claiming to increase speed of internet, but r there some tricks to increase speed of only bittorrent. Those tricks never work which claim to increase speed of net.

thanking u all in advance. Bye.:)

legolas

Padawan
Ok, first, I hope there is no confusion between kbps and KBps. you have 256kbps = 32 KBps. Usually torrent softwares by default use KBps or simply KB.
If by this, you mentioned the 30 as KB then its perfect and you are getting the max out of your connection.
Reg. 1 or 0.2 kb, yes, it do happens sometimes. And there are two reasons I could think of, the first reason being more valid
1) The tracker is dead or time out (you can see this in the torrent properties when you just click on the torrent you are downloading and looking around for tracker status).
2) usually, public trackers (the sites where it is not mandatory for you to register an account or maintain a 1:00 ratio) are not as fast as private trackers. So, out of time outs and traffic, it is possible to get very low speeds in spite of high seeds. You could try "encryption" in your torrent client to hide the bit torrent trafficking from your ISP and also alter the "Global maximum number of connections" and "maximum number of connectons" property dialog box with values thrifty and convenient for your connection (you have to search your client configuration manual to check this out, as a rule of thumb, they usually give it. but the properties given for any client works with any other client).

Hope these help.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
1. 30 KBps is normal. If he wants better speeds, then ask to go for faster connections.

2. Yeah, the second issue is also normal sometimes. You've any idea abt TCP connections?

Basically you need to limit the Maximum Peer connections. Limit the number of connections and max. number of connected peers per torrent (and the global one as well).

Check this article if you want to know more: Of TCP connections, SP2 and Faster Torrents Download Speeds

3. You can only optimize your connection. You can't "increase speed of internet". Your situation is perfectly normal. :)

legolas

Padawan
what's the diff in KBps & kbps?
kilo bytes per second???
Ok, you know the lowest information is 1 bit. Your line is 256 Kilo bits per sec. and 8 bits = 1 byte. therefore, 256 kilo bits per sec = 256/8 = 32 Kilo Bytes per second (which is usually the measure for torrent and other clients, unless you change otherwise, while your connection provided by ISP is in kilo bits per second, which is why many ppl get confused).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom