[Preview+Feedback] June 2005 Digit DVD - Anniversary Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Readers will please try to understand that Although we have no problems including SuSE Live, 90% of our readers will find this to be a waste, as they do not have DVD-Writers to burn the ISO.

AGAIN:

SuSE 9.3 Professional is paid software with no demo available, so the only option is to provide the LIVE CD, which does not make sense, as most people will not be able to burn it on a DVD in order to run it.

It's all well and good that you guys demand things, and we provide as much of it as possible, but currently, Digit has no plans of providing you with ANY DVD-sized Linux ISOs. This would be a waste of over 1.3 GB of space for the majority, and we feel that this would not be fair.

PS: Waste = UNUSABLE, and NOT to be misread as USELESS.

Some of you have thought that I meant Linux = Useless, when I meant "Linux DVD ISO = Unusable to most".

Personally, I am pro Open Source, so don't try and make it look like I am against it.

I hope this clears up why we are not listening to the few demands for SuSE 9.3!

I would also like to warn members who use bad language: your account will be deactivated the next time you abuse. We are not your corner panwalla, and these other members here are not your local buddies.

You will conduct yourself with respect and dignity and use appropriate language here (just as you would with your parent's, or at your place of work).

If you cannot follow simple protocols of politeness, leave this forum, as all members of this forum, whether part of Team Digit or readers of Digit, deserve the respect of not being abused.

bharat_r

In the zone
Madness!!!!

what is this madness!!!! :shock:

On the cover(box) of this month's digit it says Midtown Madness 2 ,the CD contains Midtown Madness 1

Is it a publicity prank by digit or did they just goof if up.

MM1 is a very old game(I used to play it 4-5 years back)...and also it is not compatable with GeForce cards.(I have GeForce 2 now and the game does not work properly)

DIGIT must have put the proper pic in the cover box :evil:

Britannica Quizmaster CD was really great!
Very useful. :)

QuickFire

Broken In
Raaabo said:
so the only option is to provide the LIVE CD, which does not make sense, as most people will not be able to burn it on a DVD in order to run it.
can't u provide the LIVE DVD itself instead of ISO???
bharat_r said:
On the cover(box) of this month's digit it says Midtown Madness 2 ,the CD contains Midtown Madness 1
hmm...big anniversary goof-up. Now I'm sure it can't be played on geforce cards. :( so, another USELESS addition. :(

OP
J

Jacknife

Broken In
Re: Madness!!!!

bharat_r said:

True. We apologies for this mix up

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193491#193491

rajivnedungadi

In the zone
Lets look at it two ways

Lets look at both the positive and the negative sides of the Anniversary Issue

Positive

1. The Full Game - Midtown Madness
2. The Britannica Quizmaster
3. The Freeware DVD and CD
4. The Fast Track book on Upgrading your PC
5. Priced reasonably at Rs.200/-
6. The DVD Contents are superb. Some really good collection of software on both the CD and DVD. I think that everyone will be satisfied with the contents of the Discs.....
7. All Discs are working perfectly

Negative

1. NO DVD CASE even for the newstand buyers.

2. 350 pages as said includes the number of pages in the Fast Track book which you come to know only after you get the issue...till then you expect a 350 page magazine and a 200 page Fast Track

3. The Midtown Madness CD is Version 1 and Not Version 2 as mentioned earlier

4. Most of the contents of the magazine might not be of interest of general public (is my personal opinion)

5. The Game CD and the Quizmaster CD are in the normal plastic cover packing. Would have appretiated atleast paper cover with the CD tities on it....like the Dec 2004 - Concise Encyclopedia CD

I have checked the CDs and DVDs and they are working fine.

Whatever mentioned here is my personal opinion. No hard feelings

TRUELY ONE OF THE BEST ISSUES OF DIGIT

KEEP THE GOOD WORK UP DIGIT

Regs

Rajiv

Re: Lets look at it two ways

rajivnedungadi said:

The Rs. 200 price tag is not reasonable 4 some guys like me who use thier pocket money to buy both Chip India and Digit. It must be something between 120-150.

QuickFire

Broken In
Re: Madness!!!!

jacknife23 said:
True. We apologies for this mix up

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193491#193491

lol...Digit and its apologies... :lol:
I just love Digit!

but don u think that was a deliberate marketing stunt? ;):p

rajivnedungadi

In the zone
Lets look at it two ways

rana_punjabi_sardar said:
rajivnedungadi said:

The Rs. 200 price tag is not reasonable 4 some guys like me who use thier pocket money to buy both Chip India and Digit. It must be something between 120-150.

A Free Full Game CD + A Britannica CD at Rs.100/- extra is quite reasonable my dear friend. If you buy them separately it will cost you in hundreds.....

It does not depend on how much you can pay for something....it depends upon at what price the seller wants to sell it because no one want to be in a loss.

***** NO HARD FEELINGS GUYS....ITS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION*****

kaysquare

Journeyman
@raaabo
Good reply.

Personally, I am pro Open Source, so don't try and make it look like I am against it.

But the forum members are not trying to show you as anti opensource. and what is the use in doing so.

Nobody has a personal grudge on you.

BTW if not suse 9.3, 9.2 Eval version is available

*download.novell.com/Download?buildid=6FTuzaANrpE~

It is an installable version just like the personal edition given some time ago.

Hope digit listens to its users.

One suggestion though: Can you list the software that has been asked for in the [by demand] section and mention why can be included/not included

rajivnedungadi said:
rajivnedungadi said:

A Free Full Game CD + A Britannica CD at Rs.100/- extra is quite reasonable my dear friend. If you buy them separately it will cost you in hundreds.....

U r right my friend, but do u like a 4-5 years old game as a gift 2 u.

saROMan

QA Juggler

rajivnedungadi said:
rajivnedungadi said:

U r right my friend, but do u like a 4-5 years old game as a gift 2 u.

ay b not..but for some one with OLD PC say P3 like me(guess not all have a FX55)..it will be a wecome gift ......

rajivnedungadi

In the zone

Positive

1. The Full Game - Midtown Madness
2. The Britannica Quizmaster
3. The Freeware DVD and CD
4. The Fast Track book on Upgrading your PC
5. Priced reasonably at Rs.200/-
6. The DVD Contents are superb. Some really good collection of software on both the CD and DVD. I think that everyone will be satisfied with the contents of the Discs.....
7. All Discs are working perfectly

Negative

1. NO DVD CASE even for the newstand buyers.

2. 350 pages as said includes the number of pages in the Fast Track book which you come to know only after you get the issue...till then you expect a 350 page magazine and a 200 page Fast Track

3. The Midtown Madness CD is Version 1 and Not Version 2 as mentioned earlier

4. Most of the contents of the magazine might not be of interest of general public (is my personal opinion)

5. The Game CD and the Quizmaster CD are in the normal plastic cover packing. Would have appretiated atleast paper cover with the CD tities on it....like the Dec 2004 - Concise Encyclopedia CD

I have checked the CDs and DVDs and they are working fine.

Whatever mentioned here is my personal opinion. No hard feelings

TRUELY ONE OF THE BEST ISSUES OF DIGIT

KEEP THE GOOD WORK UP DIGIT :)

Regs

Rajiv

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
350 pages as said includes the number of pages in the Fast Track book which you come to know only after you get the issue...till then you expect a 350 page magazine and a 200 page Fast Track

I also thought wow 350 page magazine
So very much to read.
but cant find 350 page in the magazine

The Midtown Madness CD is Version 1 and Not Version 2 as mentioned earlier
Then also Midtown Madness 2 is old only

But this month magazine is good from the previous months

impetus

Broken In
Not worth it

I must say that I am truly dissappointed at this month's content.

1. If a person is not interested in 'convergence', appproximately 40% of the magazine's contents are a waste to him. Covergence might take off in the US or Europe, but I don't see it making a foray into Indian markets. Why?--> The paper by Nicholas Negroponte seems to be written in 1995. Has convergence taken off in any country in the world, let alone India? Why the 10 year gap?

2.Some content of the magazine seem to be just a 'copy and paste' of papers written by someone else.

3.Even though there are 203 pages, actual no. of pages that have some useful content is about 125. Rest have advertisements.

4. Digit, nowadays, seems to be doing a lot of mistakes and then apologizing for it. Midtown Madness 1 is a waste of disk space. Publishing the game as Midtown Madness 2 would have shattered many newsstand buyers' enthusiasm once they put the CD in the drive and came to know it was version 1.

5. Inclusion of Americas Army Ver 2.3 when 2.4 is available. Moreover, how many people actually play online games?

6. Suppose we want to find a particular program, should we actually browse through all the 500 programs? At least a basic seach program would be useful.

7. The reward for 'take a crack' section is absolutely a waste for some people. 'Artificial Intelligence' -- do you expect all digit readers to actually go through technical books like that? Change the reward to something that most people would find useful...maybe a 128MB pen drive or something. This will motivate more people to send in their answers.

8. What's the use of just looking at someone's 'award winning' desktop configuration if readers can't recreate the same thing on their PCs? At the least, the winner for 'My desktop' section should provide details as to which software he used to create it, how exactly he went about in creating his customized desktop, etc.

9. Why does Sachin Kalbag always rant about poor broadband connections in India? It is always easy to criticise someone but its difficult to provide a working solution to the reader's problems. I have subscribed to BSNL's broadband service and I find it to be pretty good. Consumers need not always depend on MSOs and cable operators to have a broadband connection. I would add two more options to the two suggested by him:

c) Forget MSOs and cable operators and get a broadband connection from other companies which use ADSL technology using copper wires. These companies might wire the copper cables directly to your house, albeit at an extra cost.

d)Or, if you have a BSNL phone-line, you could also try DataOne service and see if it meets your requirements.

To end on a happier note, congrats on your 5th anniversary and please bring out better issues/software in the future

pravinkumar

Broken In
Well said "impetus".

I was also really disappointed because of the Mid-Town mess-up. I was in double mind whethere to buy or not bcoz of the prize.
Then seeing the Mid-Town madness - 2 , I decided to buy the mag , but to my surprise it was MM-1 and not MM-2. Now I feel cheated. This issue is not at all worth 200 bucks. Do you guys know how many things i sacrificed and how many times i asked my father for this 200 bucks ? . For a person like me from middle class , Rs200 is really big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom