Preview and Feedback [December 2011]

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhirup

Right off the assembly line
Bought the mag from the newsstands.Thought the contents could have been better for a hefty price of rs250 :(

qams

Terminator 202
I got the magazine full sealed pack. But it was only 2 DVD present inside Adobe CS5 Alpha & 500+ Optimization tools Omega DVD.

Contents are boring in these alpha, omega DVDs,

In magazine contents are good.

DVD in which Digit pdf of 10 years is present, was absent, may be packing guys were in hurry there, so they mistakenly(or intentionally ) forgot to include all 3 DVDs.

I have mailed that i didn't get Digit DVD with pdfs Fedora Suse etc...

waiting for their Reply...

r4gs

In the zone
Hmm,
Well, regarding games, we only publish reviews of those games that we have received for reviewing, or, reviews provided by our readers and freelance writers.

That is actually why we haven't reviewed Modern Warfare 3 yet. We had not received the copy at the time of publishing.

In fact, if you guys have purchased any games and would like to write about them, please feel free to send in your reviews to readersletters@thinkdigit.com

----------------
@thetechfreak
Regarding the TinTin preview, I would like to point out that the article was a preview and not a review.

Assassin's Creed wasn't reviewed but it was mentioned in the blockbuster games section and there was a paragraph on it. I'm not sure what you're asking.

----------------

Now, moving on to the feedback.

We would really like to know what you liked about the issue? What would you like to see more off? Would you like a dedicated photography section or something more on mobiles, apps, etc? Stuff like that.

We have actually received a lot of conflicting feedback for SKOAR! Some liked it and some didn't, similar to the DVD vs Fast Track issue. It is something that has to be worked on and we can do that best with feedback from readers such as you guys.

Meisternator

Right off the assembly line
Letters

i am a regular reader of your magazine it is the bestest tech mag ever. Too late i found your mag only in April 2011 but the PDF archives which you gave in this months issue was great.Thanks for such a great issue. Can you please put Zoo Tycoon game in the upcoming devd of jAn

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
^^ That is delebarate.

read what Editor has written to me:
"I wanted to celebrate the end of our anniversary year by giving out 10 Years of Digit PDFs, and 10 selected Fast Tracks - using the number "10" to remind our readers that it's been 10 years since we changed our name to Digit.

That is why we gave 10 years (10 x 12) PDF issues of Digit, and 10 PDFs of Fast Tracks".

dead.night7

Journeyman
No one mentioned about the fast track at least Thats a new hot topic in Computer Science now-a- Days Artificial Intelligence... I wanted to buy the mag for just the FT but now I think I should rather buy some textbook of MSc Comp Sci rather than Purchasing Copy, DVD contents which may be available online. Sigh DIGIT you made me dissapointed Well the news stand wants to handover the mag and selling it for Rs. 200 But still though it looks crap.
Past magazines EBOOKS : having them all as it was given in June 2011
PDF's Having them all as a hard copy
Games, HD content Not really interested coz They all are installed before the mag was released.
Give some research oriented things guys. This was not with the perspective of me alone I think every Graduate out there wants to learn . I'm Sorry for being harsh but you know that before charging Rs. 250 from the readers just try to think and tell yourselves are the majority of CD's really useful to anyone other than becoming an update to all the software? Digit's being the rich mans book of pleasure. I cant buy this mag just because it hurts and digs a hole in my pocket. Getting Useless :x

r4gs

In the zone
@ax3: Thanks

@dead.night7: The DVDs are provided with the magazine because our readers ask for them. Even now we get mails regarding the 2 fast tracks or 3 DVD issue, with half the readers wanting more DVDs and the other half wanting more content.

Regarding the cost, you can subscribe to the magazine. Even the short term subscriptions of 3-6 months will result in some saving compared to purchasing from a news stand.
I know there are issues with delivery, but as Robert pointed out, you need to contact us regarding what courier you would like to use in your area if you are having problems.

You said you wanted some research oriented content. What exactly would that be?

dead.night7

Journeyman
^^@ r4gs
Being a technology writer you may be more knowledgeable than me man, I thank you for asking me my suggestion about the articles, Some of the best writing articles for graduates would be giving out a sequence of new section in Mag on the project ideas like
Wireless protocol,
Virtualization,
What are Embedded Systems?,
Designing Circuit Controller that controls entire Electricity of Building
(Sensors in various locations of the tower that respond/ feedback the logic, etc),
Penetration Testing,
Linux,
Use of Integration/Derivatives or more specifically Mathematics in the computing world
(Because everyone wants to know what Industrial application do we have while learning mathematics,Simply because many find it a waste and crap subject when it is in the Mid year graduation stage of BSc IT/CS/ BE).

Having it in the magazine may alter their brains and "may" change their attitude towards the subject in base of learning not mugging up. This will be more efficient and important than having 3 Dual DVD's and having reviews of those products which you know are rather not necessary just because no one will buy them/ Simply they are costly.
I dont know anything about the marketing scheme but I know that having a few pages dedicated to such articles may rather not cost you a bomb, right?.. You may sell anything 3 DVD / 2 DVD / 2 Fastrack. Rather all sort of gimmicks but what should be present at the end of the day should be the content.

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
whot happened 2 u ppl, u r ***** dropped off ....... man, 2010 dec mag was much better than 2011 ..... dvd is total waste, v dont want ads/old movies ... instead if "social networker" was given then all maaf tha ....... phewww, very very disappointed ......

koi lotado mujhe mere lost huaa rs ....

The thing is the Dvd content has been dropping since 2008. 09 was awesome. But since 2010 Digit seems to have become more like profit oriented.
I know they are working very hard but something has good seriously wrong. They seen to be using forced humour in digit diary. Sorry but no one is just fascinated by reading about you guys playing Quake 3. There should be more details. Like Rossi and the things that happened when he used a Rail Gun.
The special issues are dueo worse then normal issues. Just another excuse to charge up more money.
Sorry for this post Team Digit. it was harsh but said what I had in my mind.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do we really want in SKOAR? Flashy images and screenshots with a bare minimum of text or more reading material and/or a more in-depth review?

We should have a poll on this.

I personally prefer more reading material as images and screenshots are anyway available online. :))
More reading material. Less screenshots is fine. In-depth review about the game, story and gameplay is more important I think.

You can give screenshots or gameplay videos if you want on the DVD?

Tech&ME

Banned
The thing is the Dvd content has been dropping since 2008. 09 was awesome. But since 2010 Digit seems to have become more like profit oriented.
I know they are working very hard but something has good seriously wrong. They seen to be using forced humour in digit diary. Sorry but no one is just fascinated by reading about you guys playing Quake 3. There should be more details. Like Rossi and the things that happened when he used a Rail Gun.
The special issues are dueo worse then normal issues. Just another excuse to charge up more money.
Sorry for this post Team Digit. it was harsh but said what I had in my mind.

I can be more harsh then you are.... but does it make any sense to them ?? :-|

Team Digit has no EARS to listen to any of us. Its a commercial entity and thus money matters more for them.

Look at their recent tactics, misleading advertisements, wrong dvd content, etc.

They have even ditched the DEMAND SECTION of this forum, its just a formality now to create that particular thread ..... as a tradition, that's it. :-|

Its a waste of money to invest in such things ..... better use google for your daily tech needs and reviews. Watch NDTV GadgetsGuru and Tech Guru on CNBC they are far better....... even Click on BBC is ok.

r4gs

In the zone
A lot of posts. I'll try to get to address them one at a time. :)

@dead.night- We're only human, most of us are just graduates the same as you guys and we welcome ideas from readers such as yourself. Your suggestion for project ideas is quite interesting and will require some serious consideration.

@thetechfreak- What exactly did you like about the 2008-9 DVDs? What was different? You will have to bear with me for a bit, as I mentioned earlier, I'm only a recent addition to the team and am still "learning the ropes".

@gagandeep- You want screenshots and gameplay videos on the DVD?

@Tech&Me- Your feedback does matter. Which is why this thread is there in the first place. This thread is meant for feedback whether harsh or otherwise. Just because you're not getting a prompt reply doesn't mean we are ignoring you. If you have any particular grievance, please post it here and it will be looked into for sure.

Also, it would be good if you guys can also post about what you liked about the issue along with your complaints so we can better understand how to serve you.

Robert clarified the issue with the pdfs, please read the earlier posts. It was NOT a deliberate tactic and neither was it meant to be misleading.

Digit is a monthly magazine so we can't possibly satisfy your "daily" tech needs. :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@gagandeep- You want screenshots and gameplay videos on the DVD?
yup. Because printed screenshots, whatever the size don't give you the idea of how a game looks like.

Gameplay videos will help in filling up the DVD.

r4gs

In the zone
Its not just about filling up the DVD for the sake of filling it up. Trailers are bundled with the DVD, I'm assuming that what you're asking is for us to provide gameplay videos videos and screenshots of the games we review as well. Is that so?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its not just about filling up the DVD for the sake of filling it up. Trailers are bundled with the DVD, I'm assuming that what you're asking is for us to provide gameplay videos videos and screenshots of the games we review as well. Is that so?
yup, exactly.

Gameplay videos and screenshots on the DVD should accompany the review in the magazine.

Tech&ME

Banned
A lot of posts. I'll try to get to address them one at a time. :)

@Tech&Me- Your feedback does matter. Which is why this thread is there in the first place. This thread is meant for feedback whether harsh or otherwise. Just because you're not getting a prompt reply doesn't mean we are ignoring you. If you have any particular grievance, please post it here and it will be looked into for sure.

Also, it would be good if you guys can also post about what you liked about the issue along with your complaints so we can better understand how to serve you.

Robert clarified the issue with the pdfs, please read the earlier posts. It was NOT a deliberate tactic and neither was it meant to be misleading.

Digit is a monthly magazine so we can't possibly satisfy your "daily" tech needs. :)

OK then let me get it straight with you ( although I had mentioned it earlier !)

I have an issue with the magazines misleading advertisement which they carried on their DIWALI SPECIAL issue. ( Now don't tell me Diwali is over and forget about it... you ought to answer this one dear ! )

Problems was : They printed on the back Hard Cover of the packaging "Open SUSE 11.4" as one of the items to be found on the DVD, along with other items like Windows 8 Developer Preview, etc.

To my amazement the DVD actually contained a LANG CD iso of that particular item --- OPEN SUSE 11.4 and not the actual OS itself !!! :shock:

What clarification do you have for this ?? :wink:

Why they printed it so as to appear that the OS was provided ??

Does this not a tactic to fool the readers ?? Is it not a misleading advt. ??

And regarding the pdf issues, Robert's clarification and apologies does not make much sense to the readers who are not a forum members, and also even if it was not deliberately done (huh, it was deliberately done to fool the readers to buy it ), it however falls under MISLEADING ADVERTISEMENTS only as per rules.

As you mentioned earlier in your post about, you are NEW in TEAM DIGIT, and is learning the rope, so yes my friend you are indeed VERY VERY NEW to this COMMERCIAL WORLD, where such Misleading Advt. does happen under your own nose, and that too deliberately only because our LAW and ORDER system it too poor to handle this things.

People are ignorant as well !!

Last edited:

r4gs

In the zone
@Tech&Me- The fact that there was a printing mistake is a grave error on our part, especially if some readers bought the issue specifically because of it. We would never ever mislead the readers deliberately simply because there would be no point in it.

Deliberately printing errors would have no long term benefit as our readers are quite intelligent and have enough brains to point out our mistakes the moment they occur and we are very painfully aware of that. Why would we ruin our reputation just to get a few extra bucks? Digit has not been running successfully for 10 years to just throw it all away on a gimmick like that. The loyalty the readers show us and the faith they have in the magazine is of paramount importance and we would never do anything to deliberately shake their confidence in the magazine.

The magazine undergoes rigorous proofing before being sent for publishing but sometimes we slip up. Such errors should not occur and we are taking steps to ensure such a goof up doesn't happen again.

Tech&ME

Banned
@Tech&Me- The fact that there was a printing mistake is a grave error on our part, especially if some readers bought the issue specifically because of it. We would never ever mislead the readers deliberately simply because there would be no point in it.

Deliberately printing errors would have no long term benefit as our readers are quite intelligent and have enough brains to point out our mistakes the moment they occur and we are very painfully aware of that. Why would we ruin our reputation just to get a few extra bucks? Digit has not been running successfully for 10 years to just throw it all away on a gimmick like that. The loyalty the readers show us and the faith they have in the magazine is of paramount importance and we would never do anything to deliberately shake their confidence in the magazine.

The magazine undergoes rigorous proofing before being sent for publishing but sometimes we slip up. Such errors should not occur and we are taking steps to ensure such a goof up doesn't happen again.

I understand the pain.
As a reader of this mag and forum member I do feel pain when such things happen. But as you know, times has changed, people are now more on the web ( internet perhaps ) then they were some years ago.

I still remember the only reason for me to buy the mag then ( some years ago ) was for the DVD and ofcourse the mag contents.

But time has taken a dramatic change my friend. People now have good and fast broadband connections, they have their own Computers now at home.

They are more happy to spend time online and download stuff they need then waiting for the mag to arrive each month.........

Digit had always done a good job but since time has changed things are getting out of hand this days.

I hope DIGIT will survive the test of time.

Although some mags have stopped PRINT editions and gone ONLINE, I fear DIGIT may have to follow up with the trend sooner or later.

iPADs / PDF readers adds to the worries as well !!

This is a NEW GENERATION change which we are going to witness. As we say about our FATHER's that they belonged to non-tech generation and as we call ourselves gen-next, our kids will become future-next, a leap ahead of us also.

There will be NO PRINT materials, such PRINT mags will become items to be kept in the future-next museums of tomorrow.

I think its time DIGIT makes a switch to the FUTURE-NEXT........ ( IMHO ):wink:

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Team Digit has no EARS to listen to any of us. Its a commercial entity and thus money matters more for them.

Look at their recent tactics, misleading advertisements, wrong dvd content, etc.

They have even ditched the DEMAND SECTION of this forum, its just a formality now to create that particular thread ..... as a tradition, that's it. :-|

Its a waste of money to invest in such things ..... better use google for your daily tech needs and reviews. Watch NDTV GadgetsGuru and Tech Guru on CNBC they are far better....... even Click on BBC is ok.

All we ever do is listen, and yes, we pay more attention to criticism than any other publication. We're the first to admit our mistakes, and the first to apologise for them.

As for misleading ads, the forum post was an error, not a "tactic". I explained why we gave "10 years of Digit PDFs" which was advertised on the packaging of the physical product, which people bought, the forum post is what was wrong, and again, apologies for that...

When deciding DVD content, the by demand thread and facebook suggestions are what we see first, before even thinking of including anything else. Almost every demand has always been met... the feedback section usually has all the thanks from people who demanded content and got it.

As for "Watch NDTV GadgetsGuru and Tech Guru on CNBC they are far better...."

I'm speechless :)

Perhaps that's a topic for the fight club section, lol

Problems was : They printed on the back Hard Cover of the packaging "Open SUSE 11.4" as one of the items to be found on the DVD, along with other items like Windows 8 Developer Preview, etc.

To my amazement the DVD actually contained a LANG CD iso of that particular item --- OPEN SUSE 11.4 and not the actual OS itself !!! :shock:

What clarification do you have for this ?? :wink:

Why they printed it so as to appear that the OS was provided ??

Does this not a tactic to fool the readers ?? Is it not a misleading advt. ??

And regarding the pdf issues, Robert's clarification and apologies does not make much sense to the readers who are not a forum members, and also even if it was not deliberately done (huh, it was deliberately done to fool the readers to buy it ), it however falls under MISLEADING ADVERTISEMENTS only as per rules.

The Open SuSE thing was a major screw-up, and a very bad one. The wrong file was downloaded by mistake, and we now make sure we double-check and test every distro we download, to ensure that we don't slip-up like that again. With distros we only CRC checked the file and put it on the DVD before this, which caused the error. Again, my sincere apologies, and my assurance that we are taking all possible steps to ensure this doesn't repeat.

Before I could apologise on the Forum for the PDFs, someone already posted my email, so I didn't... but The apologies are meant only for this forum, as it was here that we wrongly posted "All Digit PDFs" instead of "10 years of Digit PDFs".

I hope DIGIT will survive the test of time.

Although some mags have stopped PRINT editions and gone ONLINE, I fear DIGIT may have to follow up with the trend sooner or later.

iPADs / PDF readers adds to the worries as well !!

This is a NEW GENERATION change which we are going to witness. As we say about our FATHER's that they belonged to non-tech generation and as we call ourselves gen-next, our kids will become future-next, a leap ahead of us also.

There will be NO PRINT materials, such PRINT mags will become items to be kept in the future-next museums of tomorrow.

I think its time DIGIT makes a switch to the FUTURE-NEXT........ ( IMHO ):wink:

We're not idiotic, we thought of that as well, and we cater to our online audience via our site. However, I still think that magazine readers are a different breed. They've always been a minority, of course, and will continue to be, but as Indian Readership Survey figures will tell you, Digit is one of the few magazines that is growing in readership.

Also, with the sheer amount of readership we have... which IRS will tell you is more than all the other tech magazines combined, we must be doing something right!

And yes, we have tried iPad and Kindle versions, but I think it's still a little early for that in India. Not enough adopters for soft copy mags just yet.

I may be wrong, so please, if you want to prove me wrong, write in to editor at thinkdigit dot com if you would like to purchase Digit and Fast Track on an iPad or Kindle, and I'll be happy to eat my words and make those versions ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom