Power plug question

anikahead2010

Broken In
My psu came with a Type G power plug.
My problem is i don't have Type G sockets at home.Just wanted to know whether i can use Type D power plug with it for which i have sockets at home?
Do i need to buy surge protector or sockets for Type G?

I don't wanna damage my psu.Thanks for all help in advance.
For plug types refer:AC power plugs and sockets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Besides the obvious mechanical difference, the main electrical difference between type G and type D is that type G has a fuse built in. Your PSU, spike guard and UPS all have their own fuses, so the plug's fuse is not essential.

You can use a plug adaptor as suggested by Zangetsu or simply replace the power cord with one that has a type D plug.

Another option is to use a spike guard with a universal socket. Many spike guards come with those.

OP
anikahead2010

anikahead2010

Broken In
Avail. in almost all electrical shops.. Like this,

*cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/172/227/907/5CNo.jpg

Would go and look for one.

Besides the obvious mechanical difference, the main electrical difference between type G and type D is that type G has a fuse built in. Your PSU, spike guard and UPS all have their own fuses, so the plug's fuse is not essential.

You can use a plug adaptor as suggested by Zangetsu or simply replace the power cord with one that has a type D plug.

Another option is to use a spike guard with a universal socket. Many spike guards come with those.

I actually have type d power cord but would still look for adapter.Thanks for help.

Zangetsu,Pimpom and Megamind thanks a lot for help. :smile:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
One word of caution: If you use an adapter, make sure it fits snugly and firmly. A loose fit could cause problems later from intermittent contacts and sparking.

Top Bottom