POWER OF OPEN SOURCE! All Courts in India to use Ubuntu!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
All courts in India will now use Ubuntu Linux as the default operating systems on their computers.. !

Evidence: Supreme Court of India - E Committee

Wasn't able to find a News Source Article, except these:
Supreme Court of India « FOSS Everywhere

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
:rofl:
Where did you find this Exact reaction pic!!
The pic says it all!

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I don't get it. What is the point of this decision?

Whats the point ?

What's the point?
Well, for one, this decision goes on to prove the worth of Open Source OS like, Ubuntu.
And also, government may have realized this better late, then ever, that it's no point in spending on the installation of windows, when all they (court's staff) is going to use it for document editing stuff.
Lastly, using Linux on the systems would be a good decision, since now they won't have to worry about silly viruses and stuff. Also, this would increase the geek quotient for the staff, who will witness that there is a life outside windows! (Pun intented).

And the irony is I myself a Windows user, but soon to switch to Linux.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Point is it will save on crores of exchequer, that means of you and me.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm more updated software if they were using Red Hat earlier as mentioned here.

And forget about philosophy of open source, the costs saving from licensing would be huge if compared to proprietary solutions.

Exactly. They don't need updated software also. Just something for documents and internet, that's all.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Yes, & i think open office & firefox is all that they'll require to cover most of their computing needs.

Good decision.

Krow

Crowman
Yeah really, one does not need an expensive OS for simple work. Good move by the Govt.

Top Bottom