The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Realized I didn't post my Speedtest results after migrating to Excitel:

*www.speedtest.net/result/4622468950.png

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION],one question.how come these US college/university connections able to show such speed tests as i assumed that in such colleges somebody must be downloading something at any given time thus reducing the available speed for such tests?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
@seamon,one question.how come these US college/university connections able to show such speed tests as i assumed that in such colleges somebody must be downloading something at any given time thus reducing the available speed for such tests?

I think his university has more than a gbps bandwidth available at any time.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
with all those youtube & facebook usage one would thought that in any major US college/university at least 100 persons must be consuming 1-2mbps bandwidth each which easily totals to ~1gbps.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
His speedtest was taken at 9 AM. You expect people to use youtube and facebook at that time inside a university? :p

Edit: In my college, each of the computer labs is provided with a 100 mbps max hub and there are 15-16 such labs, making the total bandwidth 1.5-1.6 gbps. You can download at 100mbps in one PC of one lab and other PCs in other labs won't be affected. Main server itself has a dedicated 300 mbps line I think.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I did that in class. Still in that class.

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION],one question.how come these US college/university connections able to show such speed tests as i assumed that in such colleges somebody must be downloading something at any given time thus reducing the available speed for such tests?

I think his university has more than a gbps bandwidth available at any time.

with all those youtube & facebook usage one would thought that in any major US college/university at least 100 persons must be consuming 1-2mbps bandwidth each which easily totals to ~1gbps.

His speedtest was taken at 9 AM. You expect people to use youtube and facebook at that time inside a university? :p

Edit: In my college, each of the computer labs is provided with a 100 mbps max hub and there are 15-16 such labs, making the total bandwidth 1.5-1.6 gbps. You can download at 100mbps in one PC of one lab and other PCs in other labs won't be affected. Main server itself has a dedicated 300 mbps line I think.

The lowest Ethernet port speed I've seen is around ~600mbps. This is during peak time(8pm).
Best part is that nothing is blocked. My friends from Indian colleges are complaining that everything is blocked.
Although, torrents are highly illegal here so I had to go legit.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I did that in class. Still in that class.

- - - Updated - - -

The lowest Ethernet port speed I've seen is around ~600mbps. This is during peak time(8pm).
Best part is that nothing is blocked. My friends from Indian colleges are complaining that everything is blocked.
Although, torrents are highly illegal here so I had to go legit.

Torrents aren't illegal. Distribution of copyrighted and/or paid content over torrents is illegal. You can torrent linux distros and FOSS.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Just have a look at my BSNL Broadband BBG Combo ULD1445 Plan's functioning :--->
*www.speedtest.net/result/4655642052.png

What should be the adjectives used to describe BSNL???????????????????

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
BSNL speed increase to 2mbps is only for pre-FUP speeds which your 1445 plan already has(on paper at least if not in reality).try to get bsnl FTTH(fiber to the home) connection(any adsl plan above 375 is also available on FTTH) if it is available in your area as optical fiber connection is much more stable than a telephone line.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
BSNL speed increase to 2mbps is only for pre-FUP speeds which your 1445 plan already has(on paper at least if not in reality).try to get bsnl FTTH(fiber to the home) connection(any adsl plan above 375 is also available on FTTH) if it is available in your area as optical fiber connection is much more stable than a telephone line.
Thanks ,Friend.
But believe me,this is my maximum stressed limit of expenditure incurred per month for unlimited BSNL BB plan, as for ULD1445.
As per BSNL website Calcutta Telecom circle,the tariffs are much higher :--->

*www.calcutta.bsnl.co.in/BB/BB_FiberBroadbandFTTH_TariffPlansforFTTH.shtml

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks ,Friend.
But believe me,this is my maximum stressed limit of expenditure incurred per month for unlimited BSNL BB plan, as for ULD1445.
As per BSNL website Calcutta Telecom circle,the tariffs are much higher :--->

*www.calcutta.bsnl.co.in/BB/BB_FiberBroadbandFTTH_TariffPlansforFTTH.shtml

Even their FTTH plans have 512 kbps crap post 50 GB fup in a Rs 4k/month plan :facepalm:

The person who decided on that limit must be brain dead.

Top Bottom