Post your latest Purchase

tkin

Back to school!!
Hey, how come I never got that cool looking badge? :-( That's not fair! :-x
What? That badge comes with all noctua coolers, even ancient U12P(not SE2), ask the seller, it was in a small packet with the MOST IMPORTANT screws of the cooler(ones that attach the spring screw plate to the cooler base), no way it could have been missed.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Actual temps are calculated based on distance from TJ Max.

I do not know the exact method of calculation but I believe they subtract the distance from TJ Max from the TJ Max to get current temperature, i.e.

TJM- DeltaTJM= Current Temps.

So you would get inaccurate reading of temps, which in his case would be 2C more.

It is Thermal Junction Max. It is actually a sensor available on the Intel chips. What this diode does, is that once the temperature it is set at is reached it starts to throttle your chip. So what RealTEMP is showing you is the 'how far" you are from the point of throttling. That TJMax is hard coded into the CPU and we cannot change it. RealTEMP just allows us to holistically modify it for temperature runs. Now when I said 100C, and you all said 98C I found it kind of weird. It really does not matter. The temperature measurement systems which we all are using are hardly that accurate. A more precise method would be to drill a hole in the HSF and lower a high sensitivity thermal diode connected to a read out device showing at least one decimal point. It is one thing to recommend and another thing to point out nuances using knowledge which one has accumulated over the years.

Tkin, if you really want to see the true power of that HSF, run a full run of IBT, selecting maximum memory. Sit there and watch it. Keep RealTEMP just ON, to record your max/min. Do not have it running Prime95 threads.

Best.

tkin

Back to school!!
tkin always get something extra out of nowhere ;)

But seriously with the all meshy front panel of our cabinets, where do you guys put the case badges anyway???
I've put them on the side panel, front of the acrylic glass, looks cool, I'll show pics.

I just need a razer case badge now, have all the others.

It is Thermal Junction Max. It is actually a sensor available on the Intel chips. What this diode does, is that once the temperature it is set at is reached it starts to throttle your chip. So what RealTEMP is showing you is the 'how far" you are from the point of throttling. That TJMax is hard coded into the CPU and we cannot change it. RealTEMP just allows us to holistically modify it for temperature runs. Now when I said 100C, and you all said 98C I found it kind of weird. It really does not matter. The temperature measurement systems which we all are using are hardly that accurate. A more precise method would be to drill a hole in the HSF and lower a high sensitivity thermal diode connected to a read out device showing at least one decimal point. It is one thing to recommend and another thing to point out nuances using knowledge which one has accumulated over the years.

Tkin, if you really want to see the true power of that HSF, run a full run of IBT, selecting maximum memory. Sit there and watch it. Keep RealTEMP just ON, to record your max/min. Do not have it running Prime95 threads.

Best.
This came up:
*i.imgur.com/M7neM.jpg

Ambient is 35c at least, its very hot here, no ac, nothing, you think I need to reseat it? Used the NTH1 paste using rice grain method.

Not oc'ing now due to turbo scaling pronle, when oc'ed turbo multiplier is not scaling, its either least or max, so I am not overclocking it now.

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
What? That badge comes with all noctua coolers, even ancient U12P(not SE2), ask the seller, it was in a small packet with the MOST IMPORTANT screws of the cooler(ones that attach the spring screw plate to the cooler base), no way it could have been missed.

Really?? Well, must check that box again! :unsure:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Really?? Well, must check that box again! :unsure:

You should have got the device sticker. I did too...!

@Tkin:
Now post the same screenshot of RealTEMP, and run a stress inducing game.

Try to resolve the Mx problem, and OC that rig. It is meant for that.

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin:max oc till now???have u got a BSOD anytime on ocing?
4.3Ghz, auto oc'ed by asus TPU, no BSOD, temps in prime reached 85c and then I turned it off, still to try with this cooler, tried 3.8Ghz, stock volts and it was fine.

tkin

Back to school!!
You should have got the device sticker. I did too...!

@Tkin:
Now post the same screenshot of RealTEMP, and run a stress inducing game.

Try to resolve the Mx problem, and OC that rig. It is meant for that.
I reckon cooler mounting is ok, as my cores are very close to each other and when I stop the stress they immediately cool down very fast, its just the 35c ambient here, and turbo multiplier bug is in the bios, it won't scale, straight to max, very irritating, waiting for new bios from asus.

I'll try metro 2033 tomorrow.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
I reckon cooler mounting is ok, as my cores are very close to each other and when I stop the stress they immediately cool down very fast, its just the 35c ambient here, and turbo multiplier bug is in the bios, it won't scale, straight to max, very irritating, waiting for new bios from asus.

I'll try metro 2033 tomorrow.

Yea..that might be a bios problem....whats the bios version anyway?

tkin

Back to school!!
Yea..that might be a bios problem....whats the bios version anyway?
0401, update came but the changelog does not mention this issue, so I skipped it, this bug was also spotted by reviewers(read in a review), nothing to worry, my proccy never scales to 3.4Ghz unless stressing it, its so damn powerful even @ 1600MHz.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
0401, update came but the changelog does not mention this issue, so I skipped it, this bug was also spotted by reviewers(read in a review), nothing to worry, my proccy never scales to 3.4Ghz unless stressing it, its so damn powerful even @ 1600MHz.

i have a 0502 version wid me ;)

Anyways...the new version is 0501 imo

Riddick

Broken In
Thanks, got it, why does techpowerup do not list this as the newest version?

Some teasers:
The heatsink is so well built, installation took 45 mins, 40 mins to remove and replace mobo, 5 mins to install the cooler itself :lol:
*i.imgur.com/OfGzF.jpg

Clears the vengeance:
*i.imgur.com/5RRJd.jpg

The badge is 2mm wide, and made of solid metal, undoubtedly the best one in my collection ever.
*i.imgur.com/BCXAP.jpg

Now... those are some nice pics out there.. nice setup and nice temps :razz::razz:
BTW,
is the cooler completely covering up the first ram slot???:?:
If NO, can the new low profile rams from vengeance be used to fill it up:?::smile::smile:

tkin

Back to school!!
Now... those are some nice pics out there.. nice setup and nice temps :razz::razz:
BTW,
is the cooler completely covering up the first ram slot???:?:
If NO, can the new low profile rams from vengeance be used to fill it up:?::smile::smile:
Thanks.

Yes, the first slot is covered, you have two options:

1. Use Gskill or the new LP Vengeance.
2. The fans can be raised, raise them by 10mm and the vengeance will fit.

S_V

In the zone
@tkin

you are getting very less GFLOPs ,, I get around 92flops with stock and turbo enable. Will post my screenshots once i reach home from Office...
Also don't use any Asus or other softwares to Overclock it.. use Bios and it's just 3 steps or (couple of more if you know what you are doing) to get solid stable OC...

@Mario

lol.... daily i get Corgasm looking at that.... It's quality and Classic Look can't make my eyes move away from it...

nginx

In the zone
Sorry for the late replies guys. I have been having a torrid time with my new PC off late.

Good choice on the GPU there!!

Mini netbook as NAS???? as in Network Attached Storage??? :confused::confused::confused:

You know, everything up and running...with all the bling on!! :razz:

If u r not comfortable with high sensitivity, a high dpi pointer will only frustrate u!! Stick to what u r comfortable with!!

Thanks.

Yeah I'm looking for a second hand HP Mini or something to use as NAS. Traditional NAS is too expensive (11k-15k). A second hand netbook using using less than 10W an hour is perfect for NAS. I can just throw Windows Xp on it and use it as a wireless router and a mini download workstation if need be.

Yes, you're right. Its not all about high DPI. Many professional gamers play with extremely low DPI.

Do yourself a favor and buy the MSI 6970 lightning, it already comes with the core pushed beyond what normal cards can achieve, you'll not regret it, its 22k all, ask MD, they'll take about 23k.

MSI Global – Graphics Card - R6970 Lightning

MSI Radeon HD 6970 Lightning review

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I'll go over them soon when I have time. I am not even thinking of the graphics card now as I need to get replacements for HDD and PSU cord first. Hopefully I can atleast get my computer up and running after I do that today. It's been so frustrating...

Isnt he buying just that??

Edit: Oh my bad!! He said Radeon 6970 and I read MSI 6970!! Hmm..I am growing old!! :-(:-(

Dude all 6970s are AMD Radeon HD cards. MSI is just a brand selling 6970 like Sapphire and XFX.

Its not about the dpi. My mouse has a max of 5200dpi which is insane and totally useless. Its fixed at 2200dpi now and scale it down to 1800dpi sometimes. Thats sweet,

Its more the ergonomics that a gaming mouse gives. Once you start using one, you will never go back to a regular mouse again. Get a Logi MX518 atleast (I feel all gaming mice are the same :-?)

Hmm...may be I'll chuck in a 1000 bucks and buy the MX518 if I have spare cash left over after buying the Graphics card, CPU cooler and NAS. Its all about priorities for me right now.

just added noctua nh-d14 to my rig.

Congrats mate. Please show us a pic of your cabby's inside with the D14 installed so that we can see how many RAM slots it has blocked.

My Noctua U12P just arrived, installed it, pics I'll show later.

BIOS Temps(bios has no power saving enabled):
Stock cooler: 71c
U12P: 49c
Ambient: 30c

Difference between stock and U12P = 22c

The stock cooler is cr@p, Q.E.D

I am getting 59C on stock cooler from BIOS reading which is pretty good if I might say so. I will gladly take that temp as long I am not overclocking.

But good to see such a massive drop in temp for you with the U12P. Congrats amigo. Enjoy overclocking the hell out of that processor.

Btw, why did you remove your mobo to install it? The HAF 912's back cover is removable and the CPU cooler area is exposed at the back, so that the back plate can be installed without removing the mobo.

tkin

Back to school!!
Sorry for the late replies guys. I have been having a torrid time with my new PC off late.

Thanks.

Yeah I'm looking for a second hand HP Mini or something to use as NAS. Traditional NAS is too expensive (11k-15k). A second hand netbook using using less than 10W an hour is perfect for NAS. I can just throw Windows Xp on it and use it as a wireless router and a mini download workstation if need be.

Yes, you're right. Its not all about high DPI. Many professional gamers play with extremely low DPI.

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I'll go over them soon when I have time. I am not even thinking of the graphics card now as I need to get replacements for HDD and PSU cord first. Hopefully I can atleast get my computer up and running after I do that today. It's been so frustrating...

Dude all 6970s are AMD Radeon HD cards. MSI is just a brand selling 6970 like Sapphire and XFX.

Hmm...may be I'll chuck in a 1000 bucks and buy the MX518 if I have spare cash left over after buying the Graphics card, CPU cooler and NAS. Its all about priorities for me right now.

Congrats mate. Please show us a pic of your cabby's inside with the D14 installed so that we can see how many RAM slots it has blocked.

I am getting 59C on stock cooler from BIOS reading which is pretty good if I might say so. I will gladly take that temp as long I am not overclocking.

But good to see such a massive drop in temp for you with the U12P. Congrats amigo. Enjoy overclocking the hell out of that processor.

Btw, why did you remove your mobo to install it? The HAF 912's back cover is removable and the CPU cooler area is exposed at the back, so that the back plate can be installed without removing the mobo.
No you can't, I can't explain it properly, but I'll show pics, its just 1" shorter on the left side to install the backplate.

@tkin

you are getting very less GFLOPs ,, I get around 92flops with stock and turbo enable. Will post my screenshots once i reach home from Office...
Also don't use any Asus or other softwares to Overclock it.. use Bios and it's just 3 steps or (couple of more if you know what you are doing) to get solid stable OC...

@Mario

lol.... daily i get Corgasm looking at that.... It's quality and Classic Look can't make my eyes move away from it...
What's your turbo multiplier? Mine is at 35(3.5GHz) I tried, LinX, IBT etc and all gave 61/64/65/62c max temp and 81-82GFLOPs, voltage is 1.22(stock), I am going to see if I can get it to 4.00Ghz on 1.20-1.22.

PS: I oc'ed from Bios, didn't install a single asus app related to tuning(just the bluetooth module), I have seen in past asus apps have issues.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
@Mario

Corgasm indeed!! :D

Your old pc, totally dead??? if not, may be used as NAS!

I know that!! (thankfully :p)..I only said that while you wrote "Radeon", I mistakenly read it as "MSI"!!! lol...

nginx

In the zone
Corgasm indeed!! :D

Your old pc, totally dead??? if not, may be used as NAS!

I know that!! (thankfully :p)..I only said that while you wrote "Radeon", I mistakenly read it as "MSI"!!! lol...

A router and NAS are devices that are meant to be run 24x7. If I used my old desktop as a NAS/router, my electricity bill will go through the roof :D. Besides, I sold off my 9 year old desktop recently for 5k.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
A router and NAS are devices that are meant to be run 24x7. If I used my old desktop as a NAS/router, my electricity bill will go through the roof :D. Besides, I sold off my 9 year old desktop recently for 5k.

LOL. In accounting practice, computers have a depreciation rate of 33%. So after only 3 years the value of it becomes Re 1/-. So you have made a profit of 4999/- in sheer accountancy terms. And in computing terms that 5k is priceless. ;)

Top Bottom