Logitech MK 250 -- 1200 + tax

Logitech HDMI 10ft -- 1250 + tax
------------------------------------------------

Price Quote from Velocity Compu Sys:-

Asus Xonar DX 4500 + tax

Logitech Z-5500 16.2k + tax

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
So finally I laid hands on a 2nd hand Q9550. This is the last breath I can blow into my system. Also at the same time decided to service my system. It had not been properly cleaned out past 11 months. Temperatures were soaring .Specially the GPU. The GPU memories were idling at 86C...!

Q9950 [E0]: RS 8100 (shipped). TE deal. 4 months old, with mild OC
2x Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000RPM 120mm Fans - RS 1300. Phoenix deal.
*img291.imageshack.us/img291/3645/1000911x.jpg

The Kaze fans are really thick. Around 38mm in width. See below next to a standard CM 120mm fan.
*img96.imageshack.us/img96/8864/1000954w.jpg

So I dismantled the system. See the condition of the Hyper 212. Yuck. Ugggh....!
*img23.imageshack.us/img23/1094/1000924w.jpg

Post cleaning and scrubbing off the guck, it looks much better, and suited for its purpose.
*img704.imageshack.us/img704/1936/1000926w.jpg

A well cleaned HSF contact surface, ready to be bolted down.
*img571.imageshack.us/img571/3897/1000936v.jpg

Some 'TIM' tools which will of course come in handy.
*img39.imageshack.us/img39/3930/1000940b.jpg

Cleaned out the front and rear fan filters. They were just a big mess too.
*img132.imageshack.us/img132/9158/1000953v.jpg
*img52.imageshack.us/img52/167/1000958i.jpg

The Quad is ready -- all TIM'ed and and bolted down. Yea...!
*img291.imageshack.us/img291/8471/1000943m.jpg

Stick the thermal diode on the RAM before docking it. Quite a pain else.
*img571.imageshack.us/img571/8090/1000959w.jpg

Open up the GPU. Oooh..so many screws. Groan. Need a thin Phillips too. Really thin, specially to remove the HSF back plate. Likely I had a precision set.

The TIM on the GPU HSF has hardened and dried out. Also it is pretty apparent that the accelerator came with way too much TIM applied from the factory. See that amount. Gosh. The RAM thermal pads are a sorry mess. No wonder my GPU memory temperatures were so so high.
*img156.imageshack.us/img156/1958/1000961h.jpg

The GPU core, is not better off. Again too much TIM. Seems like an automated process. Receive, squirt, next.
*img200.imageshack.us/img200/2915/1000962q.jpg

The harsh conditions of New Delhi, have been no less lenient with the squirrel fan and shroud. Come dust come.
*img404.imageshack.us/img404/5517/1000965.jpg

The core cooler, now all cleaned and dandy. Sweet. Am ready to sweat it out.
*img3.imageshack.us/img3/2507/1000966z.jpg

So, the easiest way to put this device back together -- was to apply TIM on the cooler, and THEN place the GPU PCB slowly on top. So the GPU cooler was TIM'ed, and NOT the GPU core. No offense, but just a grain should suffice. Guess I plonked a tad too much. Best of luck HD4890. By the way had to do these steps twice, for obvious reasons...!
*img99.imageshack.us/img99/7498/1000968.jpg

Not OC'ed the CPU as yet. For some reason RealTEMP is not working on my system. Though did run a Vantage Bench, the CPU score shot up like hell. Lets see how far I can take this beast. The GPU temperatures are now 61/65 [core/memory] compared to 68/86. Wow.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
WOW. nice. however u did a terrific work opening the GPU. not everyday task. first time? also why memory (GPU) temperature fallen so much? applied trim in the surface attached to memory too? 21degree plunge in temp? u mistakenly applied some DRY ICE or what?

rajan1311

Padawan
so did u change the thermal pads ? is that necessary ?

damn...when i tried selling my QX9650 on TE, no1 went more than 6k...they kept on telling me than they can OC a Q6600 and make it faster....got pissed and left that place...thats the older 212 right ? LED Fan and all !

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
WOW. nice. however u did a terrific work opening the GPU. not everyday task. first time? also why memory (GPU) temperature fallen so much? applied trim in the surface attached to memory too? 21degree plunge in temp? u mistakenly applied some DRY ICE or what?

Yes first time I opened the GPUs. Not sure, why so much drop. But there was a lot of dust in there.

so did u change the thermal pads ? is that necessary ?

damn...when i tried selling my QX9650 on TE, no1 went more than 6k...they kept on telling me than they can OC a Q6600 and make it faster....got pissed and left that place...thats the older 212 right ? LED Fan and all !

No change in Thermal pads. Cleaned them well.

Yes, that is the older 212, one LED fan comes bundled. You should have left the deal up. There are many right now asking for LGA 775 quads. See the member market area...!

Yes first time I opened the GPUs. Not sure, why so much drop. But there was a lot of dust in there.

No change in Thermal pads. Cleaned them well.

Yes, that is the older 212, one LED fan comes bundled. You should have left the deal up. There are many right now asking for LGA 775 quads. See the member market area...!

Nice job done..tats what I believe in today's computing technology..I'm impressed :D

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

maybe the memory thermal pads can answer. or maybe you kicked dust off the sensors in the card. still 7/21 degree drop in temperature, you just gave your aging cards a new dose of fresh life, huh. :smile:

what about the old Core2Duo? also i think its time to update the signature. welcome the new member to your already incredible family. also u told something about Swiftech water cooler. will it be a surprise addition in coming days?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Not getting water cooling. Far to expensive to import. Will update my signature once I OC the Quad. Not sure yet what to do with the E7400.

Don't call my Xfire aging. Heck...! I can run Metro on HD, 55+ FPS....! What more you want.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Not getting water cooling. Far to expensive to import.

oh yes, thats means the do-ek-do stays for now? i mean the Hyper 212.

Will update my signature once I OC the Quad.

waiting to see how far this new lad can run. 4Ghz will be a good one.

Not sure yet what to do with the E7400.

donation isn't a good idea. or is it? :lol:

Don't call my Xfire aging. Heck...! I can run Metro on HD, 55+ FPS....! What more you want.

well, your cards are now fathers. their sons freely roaming the gaming community. one may eventually arrive at my home too, if i lucky. still old geek got lots of muscle remaining :grin: 55+ on Metro 2033. nice. so HD5870 won't make an appearance too? :???:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
It is difficult to get Quads to 4. Will try at least 3.5-3.6. Naa..am fine with my system. Am totally going to skip the 58xx/i7 band wagon. These are more like step-up technologies.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Isopropyl Alcohol and a cloth to rub it off. Honestly that is all that there was. I wish I had taken pictures of the GPU core cleaned out. It literally has a mirror surface. Shiny white gleaming, with ATI embossed on it.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^
It is difficult to get Quads to 4. Will try at least 3.5-3.6. Naa..am fine with my system. Am totally going to skip the 58xx/i7 band wagon. These are more like step-up technologies.

thats something i'll purely agree. better use till they fire. when they run out of gas, get new one.

Piyush

Lanaya
@ASINGH
congrats bro on ur cool purchase

never saw someone cleaning a gpu,excellent work
will surely take some tips from ya when i'll clean mine

55 frames on metro is quite rocking

pulsar_swift

Youngling
^^
Isopropyl Alcohol and a cloth to rub it off. Honestly that is all that there was. I wish I had taken pictures of the GPU core cleaned out. It literally has a mirror surface. Shiny white gleaming, with ATI embossed on it.

I am referring to Hyper 212, it had some much dust right ? how did you clean it and what tools did you use ?

OFFTOPIC: where can i purchase those dust filters for the chasis fans ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Oh sorry. I cleaned it with a paint brush. Around 1.5" in length. Just shoved it up those fins..and gave it a good rub. And a lot of blowing from my mouth. Need to get a small vacuum type thing.

I got those fan filters with the CM690. Though the side panel intake Scythe fan has no dedicated filter, so it is pulling in dust. I plan to order some from TE. You want..any, I can order for you....? Are you on TE..?

Top Bottom